Favorite Movies

Hell in the Pacific , LA Confidential , The Getaway , Falling Down , Repo Man , To Live & Die In LA , On Any Sunday

This Movie based on Earnest Hemingway's novel is not my favorite story by this author. Mainly because I could not find anything about the main characters to like. But it is considered a classic.

Saving private Ryan
Schlinders list
Godfather 1/2
T-2
Dark knight
Alien /Aliens
No country for old men
12 angry men
Good bad ugly
Gladiator
Raging bull

Comedy movies are my favorite if made well this one is a romatic comedy that is the type a guy like myself will watch with a girl friend and not be bored. Good story and well done all around. 👍

Probably Alfred Hitchcocks "Psycho". I probably love it so much because Hitchcock just seemed to do everything so perfect in the movie. The music, the suspense, the story, the characters, the set, the lighting. I never get tired of it. I guess we all have dark desires and lusts we try to control and not let get out of hand and I guess I loved the movie so much because I see that quality in me very much many times. The duality of human nature. Watching the movie helps us satisfy those dark urges somewhat without actually acting out in real life.

A 2nd all time favorite movie I would say would be "A Clockwork Orange". Loved the book and I always loved the movie. The acting was fantastic, the set, the way the film was shot seemed unique to me. What I loved about the movie is how do we punish criminals? What is cruel and what is fair?

And 3rd Wuthering Heights, great movie. Mainly like the movie because I seem to gravitate toward Love/Hate relationships and my personality in love relationships seems to mirror so much Heathcliff. I am very much a Heathcliff personality wise in real life when it comes to love. Things tend to go to extremes for me. I can be very loving, but extremely cold and jealous at other times.

My favorite comedic movie is Young Frankenstein. I love it because the script was well written (Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks co-wrote it.) and has sight gags galore and several laugh out loud moments. The directing by Mel Brooks is superb, the acting is excellent. It's just a wonderfully funny film.

My favorite Mel Brooks movie was 'Life Stinks'.

Here's one I just finished and posted on another thread. I like this colorized version the best. The Third Man

And I have same reaction as on the other tread. The movie is perfect in B&W. It would have never won an academy award for best cinematography if color was used. Vienna was a cold, dark, and dreary place after the war. Color would have been outplace.

It's within my top ten and is the one that most often comes first to mind. I'll use some excerpts from Wiki which express better than I can.
Two main reasons for being a favorite;
Lots of good flying scenes using some old warbirds, and other iconic aircraft.
Addresses the concept of existence after a physical life, with a view similar to my own on the subject of soul immortality.

"Always"
Alwaysfilmposter.jpg

Always is a 1989 American romantic fantasy drama film directed by Steven Spielberg, and starring Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, John Goodman, Brad Johnson and Audrey Hepburn in her final film role.[3]

Always is a remake of the 1943 romantic drama A Guy Named Joe, which was set during World War II. The main departure from the 1943 film is the changing of the setting from wartime to a modern aerial firefighting operation.[4] The film, however, follows the same basic plot line: the spirit of a recently dead expert pilot mentors a newer pilot, while watching him fall in love with the girlfriend he left behind. The names of the four principal characters of the earlier film are all the same, with the exception of the Ted Randall character, who is called Ted Baker in the remake, and Pete's last name is Sandich instead of Sandidge.
Pete flies one last mission, despite Dorinda's gloomy premonition. During the fire bombing run, Al's engine catches fire and is about to explode. Pete makes a dangerously steep dive and skillfully douses Al's engine with a fire-retardant slurry, saving Al. As Pete struggles to regain control from the dive, he flies directly through the forest fire, igniting his own engine and causing the aircraft to explode.

Pete strolls through a burned-out forest. Coming to a small clearing, he meets Hap, who explains Pete died in the explosion and now has a new purpose: As spirits did for him during his lifetime, he will provide Spiritus ("the divine breath") to guide others who will interpret his words as their own thoughts.

Although time is non-linear from Pete's perspective, six months have elapsed in the real world and Al wants a grieving Dorinda to move past Pete's death. He takes her with him to Colorado to work at the flight school where Pete was to command pilots who will be training to fight fires, one of which is Ted Baker. ...

Aircraft used​

Two Douglas A-26 Invader fire bombers (Douglas B-26C Invader No. 57][12] and Douglas TB-26C Invader No. 59[13]) were prominently featured in Always.[14] The flying for the film was performed by well-known film pilot Steve Hinton[15] and Dennis Lynch,[16] the owner of the A-26s. A combination of aerial photography, rear projection and models was used to create the aerial sequences.[17]

A number of other aircraft also appeared in Always: Aeronca 7AC Champion, Bellanca 8KCAB Super Decathlon, Beechcraft Model 18, Cessna 337 Super Skymaster, Cessna 340, Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina, de Havilland Canada DHC-6-300 Twin Otter, Douglas C-54 Skymaster, Fairchild C-119C Flying Boxcar, McDonnell Douglas DC-10 and North American B-25J Mitchell. Two helicopters were also seen: Bell 206 JetRanger and Bell UH-1B Iroquois.

Here's one I just finished and posted on another thread. I like this colorized version the best. The Third Man

Thanks we may watch this one later today. I'm sure we've seen it before but one of the benefits of ageing is watching great movies 'again' .

These women this movie is about I had the privilege of meeting as a young schoolboy.
It is a fine movie about real people and the time in history I grew up in.

These women this movie is about I had the privilege of meeting as a young schoolboy.
It is a fine movie about real people and the time in history I grew up in.

It was an excellent movie about the time before America discovered women could have talents in math, engineering, and science. And being a women and being black and able to do the work of white men and a computer was unheard of. The movie is pretty accurate althought there was some literally license taken. The 3 women were not close friends and time frame was off by a couple of years. Other than that it is a pretty accurate telling of the story.

Katherine Johnson, did trajectory analysis for America’s first human spaceflight, Alan Shepard’s mission Freedom 7 in 1961. She also contributed to America’s first orbital spaceflight piloted by John Glenn. Glenn wasn’t keen on putting his life in the hands of the computers that would be used to handle the mission on Earth, and wanted Katherine Johnson to check all the equations by hand to give him confidence they were right. She also worked on the space shuttle and Earth Resources Satellites.

Katherine Johnson worked for NASA for over 30 years before retiring in 1986. When she was a whopping 100 years old, NASA honored her by reintroducing a facility in her home state of West Virginia as the Katherine Johnson Independent Verification and Validation Facility. Katherine Johnson also received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2015. She died at the age of 101 on Feb. 24, 2020.

In 1963, when Katherine Johnson was proving to NASA her brilliance, I had just started to work for NASA in Huntsville, Ala in their computer center. Out of a hundred engineers, there was one black person. All the women were secretaries or data entry operators and they were all white.

Forum List

Back