Fairness Docrine Coming Back?

There are markets where we thrive and still they don't put us on.

It has been proven. There could be a million reasons for why that station failed.

I can only tell you about how it is here in Michigan. I get 1310 out of Dearborn. Good reception, until you get to where I live or half way to work in Ann Arbor, then the station gets fuzzy. And then my shows are on in Ann Arbor, but as you get close to the border, the reception fades.

Rush listeners won't put up with that.

How about you put Randi Rhodes in between Hannity and O'Reilly and give her some time. It has been tried before, and Randi won.

Again, think about how expensive it is to run for president. Why so costly? Because air time is expensive. Why is it expensive? Because it is valuable. And the right wing station owners do not want to put on the left wings point of view, even if that means costing them some money. So instead of left wing talk, they go with sports talk, which is failing.

how did they thrive if they're not on the air?
:rofl:

fail.jpg

Their ratings were up yet they were replaced with sports radio that isn't attracting the same ratings.

Remember, air time is valuable. Consider how much the candidates spent on commercials. So don't assume rich corporate media giants are going to put on a liberal talk radio show that will speak out against their right wing agenda.

They'd rather lose a few bucks in order to keep control of the government. They'll put up with the radio station taking a loss if it means helping their candidates/party to win.

Trust me, they made a lot more over the last 8 years doing it this way.

Anyways, I'm just glad Rush is the new GOP spokesman.

if you're stupid enough to listen to rush, there's nothing i can do to help you.

You know, all this talk about the Fairness Doctrine sort of exposes the right wingers for the liars they are. They continue to call it the liberal media KNOWING that they have purchased all the radio, tv and print media's and they did it so they could spread their message, and without any opposing views.

What world do you live in? NYT, Huffington Post, Daily KOS, MSNBC (main stream national barrack channel), CBS, ABC, NBC -- these are all liberal media sources. I'm sure others can name many more.

Because that does not serve the public's interest, I think the FCC should insist that companies like Clearchannel put on some left wing radio shows to give more balance to the media. PS. I always use Clearchannel as my example and it turns out, they are the most kind to liberal talk of all the medias.

Why? Air America was liberal and went belly up because they couldn't cut it. Isn't that how capitalism is suppose to work?

Ya think?????

WTF?

On tv?

Huh?

Uh, no.

I don't listen to talk radio, so I have no idea on this. But I don't know of many people who only get their 'news' from radio.

Right wingers want to suggest that Rachel Maddow is right and their people are just right. WRONG! Rush, O'Reilly or Hannity are wrong and she is right. To suggest that both sides are lying/spinning is rediculous.

What? I don't even understand this sentence.

Just because your side is dishonest, doesn't mean our side is too.

Sealy, both sides spin.

The GOP will continue this tactic until it sinks in, or until someone like me debunks it. They did it with the word liberal. They turned a great American thing and turned it into a dirty word.

What is it that Rachel says that bothers you? I can give you specifics if you ask me when/where does Rush lie. Can you show me where Rachel is wrong/lying?

They all spin; some just better than others. It's what sells.[/QUOTE]

Then you should love the Fairness Doctrine. If it's really a liberal media, things will even out for you right wingers.

Or are you afraid that Randi Rhodes will kill Rush in national ratings if they are put up against each other.

All the good radio stations are being kept from liberal talk radio.

Now you can claim that liberal talk isn't as popular and that's why, but you can't have it both ways. You can't claim that the media is liberal and at the same time argue why no liberal media hosts are put up against Rush nationally.

It is classic Republicans wanting it both ways.

Clear Channel Communications - Liberal Talk Radio Wiki - a Wikia wiki

Shows all the liberal stations past and present

Present

City Market Rank
L.A 2 (does very well)

San Fran 4 Does very well

Detroit 11 11 isn't good

Miami 12 worse then 11

Devner 22 Awful

Portland 23

West Palm 46

Grand Rapids 67

See a trend here?

Lets take a look at the old left wing networks that got booted and why

City Market Rank

Boston 10
San Diego 17
Clevland 28
Cincinnati 29
San Antonio 30
Columbus 37

See a trend here?

When you are in double digits for your market that isn't good...that means no one is listenting to you...take a look at all those cities that bombed with liberal talk..no one to blame but yourselves

poor lost whiny little libwals,, the have the taxpayer funded NPR and PBS and still they whine.. DUmmies are well,, just DUmb!

Present

City Market Rank
L.A 2 (does very well)

Detroit 11 11 isn't good

Miami 12 worse then 11

Devner 22 Awful

Portland 23

West Palm 46

Grand Rapids 67

See a trend here?

City Market Rank

Boston 10
San Diego 17
Clevland 28
Cincinnati 29
San Antonio 30
Columbus 37

See a trend here?

When you are in double digits for your market that isn't good...that means no one is listenting to you...take a look at all those cities that bombed with liberal talk..no one to blame but yourselves

but you cherrypicked conservative cities like boston.......

oops, never mind.

:rofl:

poor bobo, trapped in a world he never made.

The True colors of the Left, and the morons on this board who support them come to light.

They do not care about free speech, or a free press. They want to control what we hear, and what is news. They want to be able to lie to us with nobody to call them on it at all.

This idea should scare all Americans, right or left.

Present

City Market Rank
L.A 2 (does very well)

Detroit 11 11 isn't good

Miami 12 worse then 11

Devner 22 Awful

Portland 23

West Palm 46

Grand Rapids 67

See a trend here?

City Market Rank

Boston 10
San Diego 17
Clevland 28
Cincinnati 29
San Antonio 30
Columbus 37

See a trend here?

So you are saying that there are 10 times more conservatives on the air because liberal talk isn't popular?

They weren't given a fair chance in Detroit the last 8 years. Air America has an inferior station to what station Rush & Hannity are on.

Trust me, if the big boys give the most popular liberal shows a chance, they'll make money.

Inferior station?

what the fuck does that even mean

a station becomes inferior due to the programming it lets out....is 1300 am a worse number then 970 am?

If the liberal station was getting good numbers then it owuld have more money froma dvertising and it wouldn't have gotten cancelled!

inferior station is one that is not alotted much band width by the government basically, only not bandwitdh but airwave strenth.

It is LIMITED space and only one station in town usually gets the lease for the station that is given the most reach through out the community. The other radio station get their airwave space but it os of much smaller scale and reaching much less people, is my understanding of how it works.

This is why the supreme court had ruled that because it was a limited public airwave space, and only one could have the full reach throughout an area, that it was perfectly constitutional for the federal government to require of that station, to cover issues of great importance from all view points.

Then you should love the Fairness Doctrine. If it's really a liberal media, things will even out for you right wingers.

Nope. The right wingers have their say on tv and in the news, it's just that you sometimes have to search for it. Make no mistake, a lot of media is liberally biased. How do you think Obama got elected?

Or are you afraid that Randi Rhodes will kill Rush in national ratings if they are put up against each other.

No clue. Have Randi Rhodes go national and see what happens.

All the good radio stations are being kept from liberal talk radio.

Sealy, no one is stopping liberal radio. If no one wants to listen to it, then it won't succeed, period. If no one tuned into say, O'Reilly, then O'Reilly would be peddling his paperbacks elsewhere, as it should be.

Now you can claim that liberal talk isn't as popular and that's why, but you can't have it both ways. You can't claim that the media is liberal and at the same time argue why no liberal media hosts are put up against Rush nationally.

The media of newspapers and tv is very liberal, talk radio seems to belong to conservatives. If liberals don't like this, then liberals should launch liberal talk radio shows, not shove some 'law' down the throats of the masses in order for their voice to be heard.

It is classic Republicans wanting it both ways.

Nah, just classic Republicans not wanting to be forced to swallow another load just because some liberals don't like the fact that the other team is succeeding where they failed.

Band width? You mean signal stragnth correct? All a station has to do is petition and it is usually granted. Trouble is the equipment costs money and unless you have the programing to warrant the increased cost you won't bother. Your notion that signal strength is the be all and end all of radio success is so ludicrous as to scarce merit comment. Rush succeeded largely because he is a talented radio guy. Al Franken and Air America lost out simply because they came across to most Americans as hateful mean spirit trolls with nothing positive to offer anyone. More leftist listen to Rush than listen to Franken et al.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
So you are saying that there are 10 times more conservatives on the air because liberal talk isn't popular?

They weren't given a fair chance in Detroit the last 8 years. Air America has an inferior station to what station Rush & Hannity are on.

Trust me, if the big boys give the most popular liberal shows a chance, they'll make money.

If I remember correctly, when Air America came on here in Detroit on 1310AM, they boosted the signal. I never had a problem with reception. Their problem was the hosts. Schultz, Trupiano, and Rhodes were in my opinion so mean spirited that they couldn't make their points because they were too busy insulting the GOP. The only one in that whole lineup who even made an attempt to act professionally was Stephanie Miller. Air America did a huge disservice to the Liberal viewpoint because they didn't represent it, all they did was spew a bunch of hate speech. Now people equate that garbage with Liberal.

I have trouble getting clear reception from Nashville 1510 so I listen to the station online. It just shows that if people WANT to listen, they will. Perhaps liberals are just cheap with their money ( as opposed to taxpayer money ) and won't support the advertisers which could be why their stations fail.

Band width? You mean signal stragnth correct? All a station has to do is petition and it is usually granted. Trouble is the equipment costs money and unless you have the programing to warrant the increased cost you won't bother. Your notion that signal strength is the be all and end all of radio success is so ludicrous as to scarce merit comment. Rush succeeded largely because he is a talented radio guy. Al Franken and Air America lost out simply because they came across to most Americans as hateful mean spirit trolls with nothing positive to offer anyone. More leftist listen to Rush than listen to Franken et al.

That's simply not the case....air waves ARE LIMITED....thus ALL of the supreme court rulings stating such....

Not that i am saying that there may be some airwave space that is available for some reason in your area, but your SPACE that you are given is leased by YOUR REACH....

people are given their leases by the Air wave space....

so if this guy in your neghborhood has a station with a smaller lease for space and with new equipment can reach many more people, then he would have to renegotiate his lease with the government to cover such and the gvt can tell him an outright NO, there is no more space to lease.

radio stations do not go out there willy nilly and can not take over the space that has been leased to someone else just because they got a Booster...

hate to refer you to someone....but see Shogun, I believe it was him that inherited a radio station from an uncle or something like that....and it all has been a rude awakening for him....

Care

If I remember correctly, when Air America came on here in Detroit on 1310AM, they boosted the signal. I never had a problem with reception. Their problem was the hosts. Schultz, Trupiano, and Rhodes were in my opinion so mean spirited that they couldn't make their points because they were too busy insulting the GOP. The only one in that whole lineup who even made an attempt to act professionally was Stephanie Miller. Air America did a huge disservice to the Liberal viewpoint because they didn't represent it, all they did was spew a bunch of hate speech. Now people equate that garbage with Liberal.

You probably live and drive in areas that don't have a problem getting 1310. Trust me. Drive M14 into Ann Arbor, or Beck Rd into Walled Lake. Some days you get it and some days you don't. Go into Wixom, and you can't get them. Or drive 23 going towards Brighton, and you can't get either the Dearborn or the Ann Arbor stations.

Now, as for the hosts you mention. Randi Rhodes is a Goddess. Now is her voice/laugh annoying? Yes. And that you probably couldn't get passed. But as far as her being great, she is. She's 100% on the money! I can't believe you don't like her. I thought you were a little radical. Go figure. Stephanie Miller is a joke. She's funny, hot and smart and she is right too, but I want to talk seriously.

But Randi isn't a conspiracy theorist. She can put the theories aside and just attack the facts and bust them. She did it with Bush & 9-11. She said, "i don't have to theorize, I just have to look at what we do know, like Condi lied about being pre warned, or Dick Chaney having control of NORAD on 9-11. Those things are strange and questions should be asked".

And how do you not attack the GOP for what they did the last 8 years? You do realize the $750 billion bank bailout was nothing more than a bank robbery, right?

And Randi got fired from Air America because she called Hillary & Ferraro whores. She exposed Hillary as a good old boy. Can't talk bad about Hillary on Progressive radio or you get fired? FU Randi said, and she signed with Nova M.

Ed Schultz just got a show in DC in the middle of two conservative talkers. He's going to do great. Finally people will hear facts and not spin.

Bill Press is a little faggity for me. I don't like him. He represents the party base. I don't like party insiders like the Clinton's. I like fresh names like Webb & Obama.

But I'm sorry that it sounded like hate speech to you. In my opinion, this radio station was the only media telling the truth the last 8 years.

I have trouble getting clear reception from Nashville 1510 so I listen to the station online. It just shows that if people WANT to listen, they will. Perhaps liberals are just cheap with their money ( as opposed to taxpayer money ) and won't support the advertisers which could be why their stations fail.

Who do you get to advertise? Corporations? Why would corporations want to promote/support the anti corporation party?

But now the Big 3 are running to Randi Rhodes asking her to defend them on the air so they get their loans. But they didn't advertise with her when the GOP were in control.

Sealy, I live out near Sheldon Rd, and back in 2005/06, I had no problem receiving 1310AM. Now I do because they reduced their signal when it became apparent to them that they weren't going to be a major player in the market.

As far as the Air America hosts are concerned, I guess we just like different things. I honestly believe that Randi Rhodes is the biggest no-talent I've ever heard on the air. I think if some station owner out there wants to get a left of center viewpoint, hosts in the mold of David Newman or Peter Werbe would be far preferable to the group of clowns I've heard so far.

Sealy, I live out near Sheldon Rd, and back in 2005/06, I had no problem receiving 1310AM. Now I do because they reduced their signal when it became apparent to them that they weren't going to be a major player in the market.

As far as the Air America hosts are concerned, I guess we just like different things. I honestly believe that Randi Rhodes is the biggest no-talent I've ever heard on the air. I think if some station owner out there wants to get a left of center viewpoint, hosts in the mold of David Newman or Peter Werbe would be far preferable to the group of clowns I've heard so far.

I don't know those guys. I really like Thom Hartmann & Randi the best. Ron Reagan has a show on at night too. He's good. So is Ed Schultz, although I don't love him like I do others. I used to like the Young Turks. Like Stephanie Miller, they're having fun.

Anyways, it is also possible that liberals don't want to listen to politics on the radio. They might just prefer music. So maybe that is why right wingers rule the airwaves.

so you PAY for the internet to listen to what is suppose to be Free Public Airwaves?

If i hadn't moved up here to the middle of nowhere land, i would not have had any idea how hard it is for rural America to get a broadband internet connection, or cable tv, or dsl internet......

it's a freaking nightmare, and unless you have money to do something crazy like paying $60 bucks a month for 5g's of usage with penalties, big ones, if you go over the usage, for only a satellite broad band speed of 500k MAX.... you are crud out of luck.... :(

Care

Last edited:
They do not care about free speech, or a free press. They want to control what we hear, and what is news. They want to be able to lie to us with nobody to call them on it at all.

You are so full of shit, you must only listen to Rush. As to lying to the people, right now that is mighty fucking easy with all the conservative talk shows putting out their lies with no one to counter act them. What a fucking specious argument.

I don't give a crap what you listen or watch. I just want the same chance to listen to a station that I want to listen to.

Leftie Radio stations are successful when the major Clear Channels let them be.

Talk about cutting off freedom of speech, it seems your arguments against a fairness doctrine are more in line with that than the lefts.

Forum List

Back