Facts about Terry Schiavo

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
I know we have discussed this topic extensively, however I was sent some information that is very specific to this case so I thought it warranted posting as back then we may not have had all the facts...........Interpret them as you wish, there is no web address for this unfortunately.

My name is Bob Schindler. My wife Mary, and I have been fighting this case for over ten years. It has exhausted us physically and emotionally, and it has exhausted us financially.

Terry as you may know, suffered brain damage due to an unexplained (and suspicious "collapse" in 1990, when she was only 26 years old.

She is severly disabled.......she IS NOT BRAIN DEAD. And she is not in a persistant vegetative state, and she is not being kept alive by extraordinary means, she is being kept alive with food and water!!

Especially in the early years after the 'accident,' Terry was very aware of things that went on around her in the nursing home. she would laugh and smile, say hi, respond to questions, sit in a chair, and interact with the nurses, and she was able to eat soft food just like any other patient in her condition.

Quite often, over the years, Terri would even tell the nurses, "Help me".

However, a couple of years after Terri's collapse, her husband (as her legal guardian) won a large award in a malpractice lawsuit on Terri's behalf. Almost immediately, he gave STRICT orders that she was not to be given any rehabilitation or physical therapy]--even though that's what the money (1.2 million dollars) was supposed to pay for.

Michael also put a "Do Not Resuscitate" order on Terri's chart. He tried to prevent the nurses from treating Terri's infections and would not allow her to socialize with any other patients. Additionally Terri had not been given the opportunity to be weaned off the feeding tube so that she could take food and water by mouth (even though two esteemed speech pathologists say she has an excellent prognosis for being taken off her feeding tube). I nstead Michael has required that Terri just lay in bed for more than ten years, attached to that feeding tube.

Michael wants Terri to die, why? we suspect because he stands to inherit the remaining money from the malpractice lawsuit that's in Terri's trust account.

(Incidently, Michael is on record saying that he could never order the withdrawal of Terri's life support. BUT, after the money came in, he changed his mind and stopped Terri's rehabilitation. And it wasn't until 1998 that he suddenly "remembered" that Terri once told him, long before the accident, that she would not want to be kept alive "artificially" if anything ever happened to her. How convenient.)

Michaal is has been living with another woman and has fathered two children with her, but he can't marry this woman because he is still married to Terri and she is still alive.

Michael has used half the malpractice award money that was supposed to be spent on Terri's rehabilitaiton on lawyers to have have Terri starved to death. Michael has been claiming that Terri is in a persistant vegetative state, but she is NOT...........

Our experts long ago confirmed that Terri could achieve significant recovery and lead a long and happy life if she were given proper rehab. Michael refuses this.

Three of Terri's former nurses came foward with sworn affidavits about Michael's behavior when Terri was in the nursing home. One of the most shocking things they revealed is that Michael said often "when is she going to die", and "when is that bitch gonna die". Nurse Carla Iyer attested that Michael said, "Can't anything be done to accelerate her death? Won't she ever die?" She said whne Terri wouldn't die after a particular illness, such as pneumonia, Michael would become furious.

Michael gave strict orders to not allow us her parents to have any information about our daughter.

Under Michael's control, nothing was done for Terri at all. NO antibiotics. NO tests. NO "range of motion" therapy. NO stimulation. NO rehab. NOTHING.

When Terri would take a turn for the worse Michael would tell the nurses "Hallelulah! You've made my day, Im going to be rich", often telling them all the new things he was going to buy such as cars, a new boat, a trip to Europe.......

A physician who cinducted a bone scan on Terri Dr. W. Campbell Walker, wrote in a report that, "Terri has a history of trauma", mostly to her ribs, her lumbar vertrebrae, her sacroiliac joints (near the hip) both her ankles and both her knees.
New York forensic pathologist Dr Michael Baden who was contacted by the media, looked at the report and concluded, "it shows evidence that there are bone fractures that are in a healing stage...The trauma could be from some kind of beating that she obtained from somebody somewhere. It's something that should have been investigated in 1991." But we never saw this report. and when we sought to have it investigated after finding it last year, the courts refused to permit it.

Michael wants her dead by starvation and dehydration, and the ACLU, AARP, and the Hemolck Society are all helping him to do this.

According to medical pathology, she will go from thirst to extreme thirst. she is likely to cry and moan until she is so dehydrated, she won't have tears and her mouth will be too dry and cracked to make sounds. she may have nose bleeds as the mocous dries out
She will experience nausea, vomiting, and cramps as her intestines and stomach lining dehydrate. she will have dizziness, as well as cramping in th arms and legs as her electrolytes get out of balance. Eventually, it will be too much for her body to handle, and she will die.

This is my daughter!!!!

Bonnie said:
I know we have discussed this topic extensively, however I was sent some information that is very specific to this case so I thought it warranted posting as back then we may not have had all the facts...........Interpret them as you wish, there is no web address for this unfortunately.

My name is Bob Schindler. My wife Mary, and I have been fighting this case for over ten years. It has exhausted us physically and emotionally, and it has exhausted us financially.

Terry as you may know, suffered brain damage due to an unexplained (and suspicious "collapse" in 1990, when she was only 26 years old.

She is severly disabled.......she IS NOT BRAIN DEAD. And she is not in a persistant vegetative state, and she is not being kept alive by extraordinary means, she is being kept alive with food and water!!

Especially in the early years after the 'accident,' Terry was very aware of things that went on around her in the nursing home. she would laugh and smile, say hi, respond to questions, sit in a chair, and interact with the nurses, and she was able to eat soft food just like any other patient in her condition.

Quite often, over the years, Terri would even tell the nurses, "Help me".

However, a couple of years after Terri's collapse, her husband (as her legal guardian) won a large award in a malpractice lawsuit on Terri's behalf. Almost immediately, he gave STRICT orders that she was not to be given any rehabilitation or physical therapy]--even though that's what the money (1.2 million dollars) was supposed to pay for.

Michael also put a "Do Not Resuscitate" order on Terri's chart. He tried to prevent the nurses from treating Terri's infections and would not allow her to socialize with any other patients. Additionally Terri had not been given the opportunity to be weaned off the feeding tube so that she could take food and water by mouth (even though two esteemed speech pathologists say she has an excellent prognosis for being taken off her feeding tube). I nstead Michael has required that Terri just lay in bed for more than ten years, attached to that feeding tube.

Michael wants Terri to die, why? we suspect because he stands to inherit the remaining money from the malpractice lawsuit that's in Terri's trust account.

(Incidently, Michael is on record saying that he could never order the withdrawal of Terri's life support. BUT, after the money came in, he changed his mind and stopped Terri's rehabilitation. And it wasn't until 1998 that he suddenly "remembered" that Terri once told him, long before the accident, that she would not want to be kept alive "artificially" if anything ever happened to her. How convenient.)

Michaal is has been living with another woman and has fathered two children with her, but he can't marry this woman because he is still married to Terri and she is still alive.

Michael has used half the malpractice award money that was supposed to be spent on Terri's rehabilitaiton on lawyers to have have Terri starved to death. Michael has been claiming that Terri is in a persistant vegetative state, but she is NOT...........

Our experts long ago confirmed that Terri could achieve significant recovery and lead a long and happy life if she were given proper rehab. Michael refuses this.

Three of Terri's former nurses came foward with sworn affidavits about Michael's behavior when Terri was in the nursing home. One of the most shocking things they revealed is that Michael said often "when is she going to die", and "when is that bitch gonna die". Nurse Carla Iyer attested that Michael said, "Can't anything be done to accelerate her death? Won't she ever die?" She said whne Terri wouldn't die after a particular illness, such as pneumonia, Michael would become furious.

Michael gave strict orders to not allow us her parents to have any information about our daughter.

Under Michael's control, nothing was done for Terri at all. NO antibiotics. NO tests. NO "range of motion" therapy. NO stimulation. NO rehab. NOTHING.

When Terri would take a turn for the worse Michael would tell the nurses "Hallelulah! You've made my day, Im going to be rich", often telling them all the new things he was going to buy such as cars, a new boat, a trip to Europe.......

A physician who cinducted a bone scan on Terri Dr. W. Campbell Walker, wrote in a report that, "Terri has a history of trauma", mostly to her ribs, her lumbar vertrebrae, her sacroiliac joints (near the hip) both her ankles and both her knees.
New York forensic pathologist Dr Michael Baden who was contacted by the media, looked at the report and concluded, "it shows evidence that there are bone fractures that are in a healing stage...The trauma could be from some kind of beating that she obtained from somebody somewhere. It's something that should have been investigated in 1991." But we never saw this report. and when we sought to have it investigated after finding it last year, the courts refused to permit it.

Michael wants her dead by starvation and dehydration, and the ACLU, AARP, and the Hemolck Society are all helping him to do this.

According to medical pathology, she will go from thirst to extreme thirst. she is likely to cry and moan until she is so dehydrated, she won't have tears and her mouth will be too dry and cracked to make sounds. she may have nose bleeds as the mocous dries out
She will experience nausea, vomiting, and cramps as her intestines and stomach lining dehydrate. she will have dizziness, as well as cramping in th arms and legs as her electrolytes get out of balance. Eventually, it will be too much for her body to handle, and she will die.

This is my daughter!!!!

The letter is very emotionally effective, however I wonder at the actual source.

Without more information I could not effectively deliver a judgement for either side.

no1tovote4 said:
The letter is very emotionally effective, however I wonder at the actual source.

Without more information I could not effectively deliver a judgement for either side.

It's written by her father. I doubt he is lying as he has witnesses to back him up. The way I chose to read this was from two points of view, one fromt he dad's perspective, and the other just extrapalating the facts about her actual conditon and the wittness testimony. I think if I were to poke around I may be able to back up the facts as they are.

-=d=- said:
www.terrisfight.org.

:)

Good thread, Bonnie.

Frankly, it's scary to realize that if Terri were a Fetus, she could be killed w/ no questions asked.

I happened to see on the news an anti death penalty gathering for some man who was found guilty of mudering a family while they slept, and I couldn't help but wonder if any of those people would brave the cold or even just stand outside an abortion death house to protest those murders??

Bonnie said:
I happened to see on the news an anti death penalty gathering for some man who was found guilty of mudering a family while they slept, and I couldn't help but wonder if any of those people would brave the cold or even just stand outside an abortion death house to protest those murders??

Here is a blog that has some of what the witnesses have said.

http://m-blog.com/?14.&id=1066869538127262.&

Not to be a party pooper but what medical degree does Dad have? For every expert Dad has produced, Michael has produced one that says she's beyond hope. It's like the old saying says, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.
As far as the "suspicious collapse" is concerned it seems pretty clear from photos that Terri was starving herself and that could be a major reason for her collapse (it obviously didn't do Karen Carpenter much good).
My wife has told me that if something like that were to happen to her, she would want me to pull the plug. I have it in writing, just in case.

Bonnie said:
both sites are interesting......thanks for posting...Im looking for something on Baden's review of Terri's files.

I'm trying to get as much information as possible. If I come across something like that I will post it as well. This is fascinating to me.

It seems like Michael has few allies in his battle and therefore information regarding his side of the issue is more difficult to come by.

Doc Holiday said:
Not to be a party pooper but what medical degree does Dad have? For every expert Dad has produced, Michael has produced one that says she's beyond hope. It's like the old saying says, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.
As far as the "suspicious collapse" is concerned it seems pretty clear from photos that Terri was starving herself and that could be a major reason for her collapse (it obviously didn't do Karen Carpenter much good).
My wife has told me that if something like that were to happen to her, she would want me to pull the plug. I have it in writing, just in case.

What Dad has is what the doctors he had look at Terri tell him. Either she is in a coma or not. In Florida the law states in order for a person to be killed they must be in a persistant vegetative state. Terri is not, she can eat on her own, she sits up, she recognizes her family and interacts with them. If I look a this objectively, her parents stand to gain nothing from her living or dying, they just want her husband to let terri live and have the rehabilitation she is entitled to based on the malpractice suit money awarded her. Her "husband" stands to gain about 700,000 dollars if she dies which is the award money he hasn't yet spent on lawyers.

I've heard that Dad's trying to sue for the money and that Michael's doctors state that she's in a persistant vegatative state with no hope. If she's as put together as you says she is, why doesn't she just tell the nurses and doctors to do what she tells them instead of what Michael is telling them?

from what I read about this case it is like that.

The family wants their daughter to be kept on life support.
The husband is convinced that she is in a vegatative state, so are his docs.
The family has brought docs that disagreed

All the independent judges that reviewed the case agreed with the husbands
doctors. And no the girl is not talking and eating by herself.

Does the family have the right to override the husband or not is really the question. I tend to say no. If anything happens to me my wife should decide
what is going on.

THe accusations that the husband is after money or has other issues are part
of the families mudslinging efforts.

In the end it reminds you that you should make your last will known and also give your wife some papers for case like this.

I understand that the parents dont want to loose their daugther and still have hope. It is a loose loose situation for all involved.

nosarcasm said:
from what I read about this case it is like that.

The family wants their daughter to be kept on life support.
The husband is convinced that she is in a vegatative state, so are his docs.
The family has brought docs that disagreed

All the independent judges that reviewed the case agreed with the husbands
doctors. And no the girl is not talking and eating by herself.

Does the family have the right to override the husband or not is really the question. I tend to say no. If anything happens to me my wife should decide
what is going on.

THe accusations that the husband is after money or has other issues are part
of the families mudslinging efforts.

In the end it reminds you that you should make your last will known and also give your wife some papers for case like this.

I understand that the parents dont want to loose their daugther and still have hope. It is a loose loose situation for all involved.

If that truly is the case, then I have to wonder why the doctors have conflicting opinions? Either she is or she isn't.
If you look at the live picutres of her in the hospital, she is moving, sitting up, looking around, that is sure not the actions of someone in a coma or persistant vegetative state. So im confused by this?? She isn't hooked up to machines, she is breathing on her own, and she can eat solid food as long as it's soft. Im led to believe then that she isn't a vegetable but is very disabled and this is now the criteria being used to starve her to death, and the argument is not one of whether she is a vegetable but exactly what her quality of life is percieved to be by doctors and judges. Maybe someone can explain the difference between coma and disabled???

Well, if my daughter was in her position, and her husband was seeing someone else now and stood to gain alot of money from her death, I sure as hell wouldn't let him do it either.

Forum List

Back