Executive Orders and Treaties, a question.

should POTUS have the power to terminate a Treaty w/o the advice and consent of The Senate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can President Trump, or any POTUS terminate a Treaty vetted by the Senate (Art. II, Sec 2, Clause 3) without the advice and consent of the Senate?
Some treaties that the president is allowed to make through the fast track law which covers mostly economic areas..

If it was ratified by the senates, i dont see how he could.
Some treaties expire though. So anything in particular you are thinking about?

A president can choose to not enforce a treaty.

However, Congress can remove a president from office.

How many treaties have past presidents broken?

• Banned
If it was ratified by the senates, i dont see how he could.
Some treaties expire though. So anything in particular you are thinking about?

It's a general question, spurred by Trump's desire on nuclear proliferation. However, Trump's negativity toward NATO and the UN would seems to need advice and consent from 2/3 of the Senate, if he choose to withdraw from either one of them.

Can President Trump, or any POTUS terminate a Treaty vetted by the Senate (Art. II, Sec 2, Clause 3) without the advice and consent of the Senate?
If the country benefitting from the "treaty" supports groups that brainwash, organize and train terrorists to ram civilian flights into an important international trade center in an American City, if a surreptitious nuclear device sent from a lying leader of an unfriendly nuclear power which lands in the center of a large American city on the west coast like Los Angeles, California, or if a thoughtless neighboring country foists dumping the contents of several national prisons containing serial murderers, serial thieves, serial rapists, serial drug proliferators, and serial con artists onto our southern borders and/or selected American ports o' call with false citizen "documentation," yeah, he can provide for the common defense of the American nation's people against ambitious political hatemongers, if he so chooses. Why else would America place him in the office of the President?

I'm voting yes.

A president can choose to not enforce a treaty.

However, Congress can remove a president from office.

How many treaties have past presidents broken?
This is the correct answer.

I would like to know on the number of treaties not enforced too, if anybody knows.

The Constitution specifies that the President makes treaties on behalf of the U.S., subject to the consent of two-thirds of the Senate, but on its face says nothing about who can terminate treaties. Nonetheless, the Constitution’s text does provide an answer.

The key language is Article II, Section 1, which says that the President has the “executive Power” of the United States. To the framers of the Constitution, this power had two important components, both relevant to the question of treaty termination. First, the most familiar aspect of executive power is the power to “execute” the laws – that is, to enforce them or carry them into effect. Under Article VI of the Constitution, treaties function as laws, and, as the framers recognized, they are part of the “laws” that the executive executes. One element of “executing” a law (or treaty) is deciding when it does not apply, or no longer applies, on the basis of its own terms. Accordingly, when the President decides that a treaty should no longer apply, he is executing the treaty – in the case of the ABM Treaty, he is executing Article XV of the treaty, which provides when and how the treaty may be terminated.

The second important aspect of the President’s executive power relates to foreign affairs. Prior to the drafting of the Constitution, influential theorists of the structure of government – such as Locke, Montesquieu and Blackstone – described “executive power” as including the management of a nation’s foreign affairs. The framers, of course, read the works of these theorists with care, and we may easily conclude that they were familiar with the foreign affairs aspects of “executive power” and intended to incorporate them into the President’s power in Article II, Section 1. And indeed, from the very beginning of constitutional government, the President has been recognized as the constitutional representative of the U.S. with respect to foreign governments and foreign affairs. Thomas Jefferson, George Washington’s Secretary of State, wrote in 1790 that “the transaction of business with foreign nations is executive altogether; it belongs, then, to the head of that department [that is, the President], except as to such portions of it as are specially submitted to the senate.” On this basis, Washington quickly assumed power over U.S. ambassadors, diplomatic correspondence and foreign policy, and all subsequent Presidents have followed his example.

https://fedsoc.org/commentary/publications/can-the-president-terminate-the-abm-treaty

Looks like its official, the Treaty is over. Someone said we need to add China in any advanced military treaties too,. since they are players now.
Putin: Russia also suspending key nuke treaty in response to U.S.

First we need to establish a diplomatic corp, not led by a neocon as their Sect. of State. Next we need to appoint Ambassadors based on their knowledge and experience of the nation where they will serve. It also helps if the new Ambassador understands their culture.

Two years in, so we can't expect Trump has any intention of using diplomacy as a tool to quell the world's troubles. In fact, the truth be told he inflames discontent.

Looks like its official, the Treaty is over. Someone said we need to add China in any advanced military treaties too,. since they are players now.

First we need to establish a diplomatic corp, not led by a neocon as their Sect. of State. Next we need to appoint Ambassadors based on their knowledge and experience of the nation where they will serve. It also helps if the new Ambassador understands their culture.

Two years in, so we can't expect Trump has any intention of using diplomacy as a tool to quell the world's troubles. In fact, the truth be told he inflames discontent.

I want him to quell the troubles here first, and I become less particular about how he does it with each passing day.

Obama left his pen and phone in the White House, so Trump can do whatever he wants

I want him to quell the troubles here first, and I become less particular about how he does it with each passing day.

With each passing day, trump and trump&co. exacerbates our troubles. That you find that funny will be expected; reality bites.

With each passing day, trump and trump&co. exacerbates our troubles. That you find that funny will be expected; reality bites.

What I find is you being silly as usual.

Idiot-gram, ad hominem variety. No one honestly believes that Trump has spoken or tweeted efforts to reunite the country. He has an enemies list longer than Nixon's and Agnew's combined.

Idiot-gram, ad hominem variety. No one honestly believes that Trump has spoken or tweeted efforts to reunite the country. He has an enemies list longer than Nixon's and Agnew's combined.

Who in their right mind would want to unite with the Democrats? They are essentially a foreign political party. The best choice scenario would see them removed from all influence.

Forum List

Back