Ex-Pastor Turned American Atheist Director

• Banned

According to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, a full 1 in 4 millennials, those born between 1981 and 2000, do not affiliate with any faith. They haven't just lapsed in observance, but have chosen to leave organized religion altogether.

Why are atheism and agnosticism on the rise? And what does it take to go against your family's faith? :eek-52::ack-1::ack-1:

Christians Turned Atheists Discuss Decision to Leave Family Faith Behind - The Takeaway

From the article:
"Instead of looking to an outside source for the solution to humankind's problems, we see that responsibility as [our own]. We have to reach out and support each other. We can't say a prayer to an invisible being somewhere and expect that to be the solution. The solution has to be when one human reaches out to another."
The Bible doesn't say that's the solution. Just one of them.

I suspect she was involved in one of those Tax Exempt Churches where everything is accepted and Bible teaching is minimized.

I can see her decision to leave THAT church.

According to the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, a full 1 in 4 millennials, those born between 1981 and 2000, do not affiliate with any faith. They haven't just lapsed in observance, but have chosen to leave organized religion altogether.
That's not unusual.

Many people in their youth abandon their parents religion.

And yet, later in life reconnect with that same religion and become an adherent. .... :cool:

From the article:
"Instead of looking to an outside source for the solution to humankind's problems, we see that responsibility as [our own]. We have to reach out and support each other. We can't say a prayer to an invisible being somewhere and expect that to be the solution. The solution has to be when one human reaches out to another."

I suspect she was involved in one of those Tax Exempt Churches where everything is accepted and Bible teaching is minimized.

The only thing worse than sitting idle as someone suffers is to do absolutely nothing yet think you’re actually helping; in other words, praying. Belief in the efficacy of prayer is a form of confirmation bias. Information and coincidences which, by chance, appear to support the belief are favoured and remembered while those that do not are discarded or rationalised. Cherry Picking.

By incorrectly attributing supernatural causal relationships to otherwise minor correlations, prayer becomes a form of self-deception known as magical thinking or Wishful thinking.

For the conceivably large number of prayers that occur over time there are relatively few ‘answers’ acknowledged by churches and none that are actually demonstrable, such as the healing of amputees or moving of mountains.

Studies have failed to find any evidence for benefits from prayer that cannot be ruled out as either the placebo effect or a form of cognitive behavioural therapy. In fact, the most comprehensive study performed thus far found that hospital patients who were prayed for suffered more complications than otherwise.

“If god is the alpha and the omega. The beginning and the end, knows what has passed and what is to come, why do people pray and think it will make any difference?” – Mark Fairclough

“Prayer: To ask the laws of the universe to be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy.” – Ambrose Bierce

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” – Stephen F Roberts

Lesser of two evils at best atheism. Not believing in something because of a lack of evidence is logical and fine. But going from that to some kind of activism makes even less sense than believing in gods.

In order to sensibly assert a disbelief in God or gods requires knowledge spanning the whole universe. You've been everywhere, seen everything there is to see, and nothing anywhere is what we might call a god. To have that sort of insight would make YOU a god. Thereby rendering your original assertion moot. :)

Prayer does work. I've seen it happen too many times to deny it. Miraculous events occurring when people faithfully petition the Lord.

But if you don't believe, I understand. I might be the in the same place if I didn't have the experiences I have had.

The Lord is merciful to those who seek mercy. And He is just against the wicked.

Prayer does work. I've seen it happen too many times to deny it. Miraculous events occurring when people faithfully petition the Lord.

But if you don't believe, I understand. I might be the in the same place if I didn't have the experiences I have had.

The Lord is merciful to those who seek mercy. And He is just against the wicked.

Morrison also sang in "When the Music's Over" about going to hell, but then at the end of the song screams out "Persian Night! See the Light! Save Us! Jesus! Save Us!"

I would say he was doing a little petitioning of his own.

(fyi, an epic song of unheralded proportions, imo)

I'm not a church guy, but I've seen Atheist conventions on C-Span, and they are really creepy.

From the article:

The only thing worse than sitting idle as someone suffers is to do absolutely nothing yet think you’re actually helping; in other words, praying. Belief in the efficacy of prayer is a form of confirmation bias. Information and coincidences which, by chance, appear to support the belief are favoured and remembered while those that do not are discarded or rationalised. Cherry Picking.

By incorrectly attributing supernatural causal relationships to otherwise minor correlations, prayer becomes a form of self-deception known as magical thinking or Wishful thinking.

For the conceivably large number of prayers that occur over time there are relatively few ‘answers’ acknowledged by churches and none that are actually demonstrable, such as the healing of amputees or moving of mountains.

Studies have failed to find any evidence for benefits from prayer that cannot be ruled out as either the placebo effect or a form of cognitive behavioural therapy. In fact, the most comprehensive study performed thus far found that hospital patients who were prayed for suffered more complications than otherwise.

“If god is the alpha and the omega. The beginning and the end, knows what has passed and what is to come, why do people pray and think it will make any difference?” – Mark Fairclough

“Prayer: To ask the laws of the universe to be annulled on behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy.” – Ambrose Bierce

Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.” – Stephen F Roberts

One would really have to turn a blind eye to thousands of accounts to suggest faith in the Almighty has no value. Lourdes alone has brought on so many inexplicable cures one cannot attribute that to some law of averages or whatever. The international medical panel that rules on those particular healings is very secular and unattached to the Catholic Church in any way. They have only approved 67 as "miraculous" since the 1800's even though there have been thousands of remarkable healings there.

Morrison also sang in "When the Music's Over" about going to hell, but then at the end of the song screams out "Persian Night! See the Light! Save Us! Jesus! Save Us!"

I would say he was doing a little petitioning of his own.

(fyi, an epic song of unheralded proportions, imo)

"When the music's over" is not about going to hell...its about abandoning religious beliefs (cancel my subscription to the resurrection) that places his friends in prison which also makes him a criminal, sinner..... "persian night" "see the light" is a reference to the magi who saw the star of bethlehem and his appeal to Jesus was from having abandoned false religion and needing a new one but not knowing what it is.....

I love these threads that start off with, "This nobody did something I agree with, so you should all follow like sheep."

popcorn.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back