Evangelical politics

When your have but two choices, one a lying criminal and the other a blowhard, which would you chose?
In what election did you find but two candidates and no "write in" option on the ballot you were given?
Please don't be juvenile. Let's be serious today. Okay?

...and please keep your posts concise, if you can.
Please don't be juvenile.

Apparently, the question, which asks about a point of simple fact about what voting options were presented to you on a ballot, is too challenging for you to answer directly.

When your have but two choices, one a lying criminal and the other a blowhard, which would you chose?

It really is surprising for you that there is a massive apostasy going on today in the church?
Whether I do or do, and whether there is or is not, has nothing to do with the dichotomy between what evangelical Christians profess or how they vote and whether their votes align with their theological attestations.

I really don't know whether there's apostasy in any church. What I know is Jesus' teachings on how to live as a good Christian and I know when I see someone who has routinely for the whole of their adult life pretty much rejected or ignored every one of the most significant of those teachings that I can recall or review.

What I know used to be so is that evangelicals for all their proselytizing and "Bible thumping," were people of good character with whom I may on occasion disagree. I know that over the past couple years I've seen less and less evidence that they remain thus.

Am I passing judgement on evangelical Christians? No. I'm asking them how they reconcile their faith and professed acceptance of the primacy of God's/Jesus' law and teachings with giving their approbation to the likes of Trump and other clearly immoral individuals who observe it not at all beyond paying lip service to it in order to gain their votes.

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
-- 2 Timothy 3:1-7
Read that passage above. But for one part of that, one need not be a theist to by and large be not "such a person," yet Trump is, as far as I can tell, every one of those things. And evangelical Christians voted for him in droves. I'm asking how one can ascribe to the words in the Bible yet vote for someone who embodies every trait the Bible explicitly instructs one to "avoid."

If you think Clinton is a criminal wait till the end of the investigation of Trump . As it is right now he is pay for play big time. Entertaining at his golf courses, etc.
Okay...but we KNEW Cankles was a criminal before the election. We did not know this about Trump, before the election. So, I chose to vote for the blowhard. Did you vote for the criminal?

Really, he has been a crook since his 20's. I sure did , I voted more for the Democrats, so I would of even voted for Bernie if he has won. I did vote for her for the Primary, how in the world did Trump win the Rep. primary I will never understand with his record.
Not catching a VD was his personal Vietnam., he said.

Evangelicals give a bad name to Christianity. They are the ISIS of Islam.
Oh please be logical. Is that possible any more?

I am logical. Both radical.

In what election did you find but two candidates and no "write in" option on the ballot you were given?

Apparently, the question, which asks about a point of simple fact about what voting options were presented to you on a ballot, is too challenging for you to answer directly.

It really is surprising for you that there is a massive apostasy going on today in the church?
Whether I do or do, and whether there is or is not, has nothing to do with the dichotomy between what evangelical Christians profess or how they vote and whether their votes align with their theological attestations.

I really don't know whether there's apostasy in any church. What I know is Jesus' teachings on how to live as a good Christian and I know when I see someone who has routinely for the whole of their adult life pretty much rejected or ignored every one of the most significant of those teachings that I can recall or review.

What I know used to be so is that evangelicals for all their proselytizing and "Bible thumping," were people of good character with whom I may on occasion disagree. I know that over the past couple years I've seen less and less evidence that they remain thus.

Am I passing judgement on evangelical Christians? No. I'm asking them how they reconcile their faith and professed acceptance of the primacy of God's/Jesus' law and teachings with giving their approbation to the likes of Trump and other clearly immoral individuals who observe it not at all beyond paying lip service to it in order to gain their votes.

But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.
Read that passage above. But for one part of that, one need not be a theist to by and large be not "such a person," yet Trump is, as far as I can tell, every one of those things. And evangelical Christians voted for him in droves. I'm asking how one can ascribe to the words in the Bible yet vote for someone who embodies every trait the Bible explicitly instructs one to "avoid."

That passage in Timothy is an indictment on all who have denied God and what will/is happening right now. No person is perfect. Not one of our presidents was perfect. By your deductive reasoning, we should have never elected anyone. How do you reconcile someone who is still struggling with these afflictions of the flesh but yet is asking for forgiveness from the Lord? No one knows the true heart of anyone except God.

That passage in Timothy is an indictment on all who have denied God and what will/is happening right now. No person is perfect. Not one of our presidents was perfect. By your deductive reasoning, we should have never elected anyone. How do you reconcile someone who is still struggling with these afflictions of the flesh but yet is asking for forgiveness from the Lord? No one knows the true heart of anyone except God.

You will recall the passages I cited in the OP. They too are things that I don't see how and evangelical can reconcile with choosing Trump.

By your deductive reasoning, we should have never elected anyone.

Actually, that's your inaccurate inference not my reasoning about what I wrote.

No one knows the true heart of anyone except God.

Are you intimating that the "true heart" of one who exhibits every trait of which Timothy wrote is indeed the very opposite of what is observed by how they comport themselves? Are we to thus construe as "godly" one who goes about their life exhibiting, as Trump has for all his adult life, the very opposite of the "appearance of godliness" -- that is when he's not touting himself as essentially being omniscient, something that evangelicals would say only God is -- is in fact godly? That's one heck of a charade such an individual is perpetrating.

Boy how evangelicals have changed. It used to be that they were evangelical first and their politics followed from their theologically driven sense of morality. Not so much any more. These days, it's clear that apparent moral depravity has absolutely nothing to do with their politics.

FT_16.11.09_Relig_ExitPoll_ReligRace.png

I mean, really. Look at that!
  • Trump who misquotes the Bible.
  • Trump who kisses women whether they want him to or not.
  • Trump who grabs women by their vaginas.
  • Foul-mouthed Trump.
  • Trump who surely is not aware of this: “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." (Jesus; Matthew 5:38-40)
  • Trump who has no idea of what this means: "You shall not bear a false report; do not join your hand with a wicked man to be a malicious witness. You shall not follow the masses in doing evil, nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after a multitude in order to pervert justice." (Exodus 23:1-2)
  • Trump who has no regard for this: "Thou shalt not commit adultery."
  • Trump who is oblivious to this: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders." (Matthew 15:19)
And yet Trump got more evangelicals' votes than did George W. Bush who actually is an evangelical Christian.

Indeed, it appears one could probably make a credible case that these days, evangelicals like Roy Moore oppose abortion in part because it increases the quantity of children for their political leaders to molest.

Or they all think you are telling lies. your biblical misquotes only point to your ignorance and your intent is lost in all of it. D-.

You will recall the passages I cited in the OP. They too are things that I don't see how and evangelical can reconcile with choosing Trump.

Are you intimating that the "true heart" of one who exhibits every trait of which Timothy wrote is indeed the very opposite of what is observed by how they comport themselves? Are we to thus construe as "godly" one who goes about their life exhibiting, as Trump has for all his adult life, the very opposite of the "appearance of godliness" -- that is when he's not touting himself as essentially being omniscient, something that evangelicals would say only God is -- is in fact godly? That's one heck of a charade such an individual is perpetrating.

No, that's what you were implying when you were tying Timothy with trump.

No, you're not following. You or I don't know the true heart of any man. Its almost as if you're saying that everyone who converts is instantly some perfect moral creature.

Political axioms:
Nazis hate Jews
Klan hates Blacks
Democrats hate Evangelicals

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree.

Yeah. I figured so. It's so easy. Do you ever just look around and shake your head? I do all the time. Haha.
Do you ever just look around and shake your head? I do all the time.

Constantly. One of the dominant themes of my posts is character, private and public virtue. Now is never too soon to be a man/woman of virtue, but it may often be too late.
that might be your shortest post EVAH!

Congrats!

Boy how evangelicals have changed. It used to be that they were evangelical first and their politics followed from their theologically driven sense of morality. Not so much any more. These days, it's clear that apparent moral depravity has absolutely nothing to do with their politics.

• Foul-mouthed Trump.
  • Trump who surely is not aware of this: “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." (Jesus; Matthew 5:38-40)
  • Trump who has no idea of what this means: "You shall not bear a false report; do not join your hand with a wicked man to be a malicious witness. You shall not follow the masses in doing evil, nor shall you testify in a dispute so as to turn aside after a multitude in order to pervert justice." (Exodus 23:1-2)
  • Trump who is oblivious to this: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders." (Matthew 15:19)
And yet Trump got more evangelicals' votes than did George W. Bush who actually is an evangelical Christian.

Indeed, it appears one could probably make a credible case that these days, evangelicals like Roy Moore oppose abortion in part because it increases the quantity of children for their political leaders to molest.

Hey look everybody...a wack-job LefTard working hard to demonize people of faith....now watch the Loon follow up with a thread championing the fuck out of illegal wetbacks, men in dresses, criminals and mentally disturbed filth.
Only in the backward world of a twisted LefTard.....Funny shit.

Neither.
Okay, but I voted AGAINST the criminal in a pantsuit, not for the blowhard.

I understand. A lot of people did that. But I firmly believe that every 4 years we are manipulated into voting for "the lesser evil" who is someone we would never have supported if we weren't put in that position. That's how the powers–that–be move us toward their agenda, by controlling both sides and creating this "Republican vs Democrat" false dichotomy. It always works. Each side is so fearful of the other *more evil* person winning, that they feel they have no choice but to hold their nose and vote for their side's guy, no matter how horrible he/she is.

In my opinion, anyone who gets that far in politics is part of "the club," they're all on the same team, even though they play the part of a "conservative" or liberal or whatever. I refuse to play their game, and if there isn't a candidate that I genuinely support/agree with, I won't vote at all.

• Foul-mouthed Trump.

"Evangelical" technically means Protestants who proselyte.

I think the word you want is actually "Christian" which technically means Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, English Anglican, and other Protestants (in order of secession from the Roman Church).

Excellent OP, religion is often about controlling others and making money, if they can divide and make more money so be it. Donald lies on average five times every day and spends the rest of the time golfing and he on his third marriage and an admitted vagina grabber but that's Ok with the so called religious. And Moore and Trump do not have the moral courage to apologize. It is sad that Americans too do not have the honesty to acknowledge wrong when it is on their side.

How Can I Forgive Someone Who Doesn't Admit to Having Done Anything Wrong? - Mark D. Roberts
Religion has been about controlling others' minds ever since ancient Egypt.

If you think Clinton is a criminal wait till the end of the investigation of Trump . As it is right now he is pay for play big time. Entertaining at his golf courses, etc.
I believe both Trump and Hillary are criminals and therefore I did not vote for either of them. I voted with a clear conscience for the CIA guy.

However I am glad Hillary lost.

Trump may be inept. But he is not really dangerous to anyone in the USA or the ROW (rest of world).

The traditional American governmental philosophy is religious in nature.

". . . all men are created . . . endowed by their Creator . . ." (Declaration of Independence)

No other people in history have made this underlying principle the basis for their governmental philosophy.

That aside, I do find myself agreeing with the op once again. Twice in two days. Though, limiting the terms of controvery in this partisan way only exposes a symptom of a much deeper discussion/root problem. It must be realized that the single greatest threat to liberty today is the gradual erosion of public virtue. More importantly, that erosion has produced apathy and negligence on the part of society. Which consequently is what enables such calculated attacks as witnessed here in the op as well as from others who are of the intellectual and governmental capacity. Make no mistake, it is an attack. A calculated attack. But op is correct, none the less, and as far as he went with it.

I'm reminded of a great quote by James Madison. Which I'll share here given its underlying relevance to those latter few sentences..."I believe that there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - Madison

Wise up! It's only going to get worse.
You seem to have forgotten about the 1st Amendment.

• Foul-mouthed Trump.

/——/ I stopped reading your post after your first lie.

"The Church" technically means the Roman Catholic Church (big-C).

Forum List

Back