"...equivalent to 2 million sticks of dynamite...."

Hmmm.....Maybe the pipeline is the lesser of two evils. 'Cuz this country just ain't goin' green....Not in our lifetime.

Secrecy of Oil-by-Train Shipments Causes Concern Across the U.S.
Crude-by-Rail Has Jumped in Shale Boom, but Towns en Route Don't Get Data They Need for Safety
BN-CX578_0522cr_G_20140522184911.jpg

Secrecy of Oil-by-Train Shipments Causes Concern Across the U.S. - WSJ.com

Emergency responders in Cincinnati know that trains full of crude oil have been rumbling through their city; they can see mile-long chains of black tank cars clacking across bridges over the Ohio River.

But they don't know enough to feel prepared for the kinds of fiery accidents that have occurred over the last 10 months after oil-train derailments. How many of the 100 trains that pass through residential neighborhoods and warehouse districts daily are carrying oil, for example? And when crude is carried, is it the kind that federal investigators have linked to explosions?

"We have no idea when trains are moving through and when they aren't," said Thomas Lakamp, special operations chief for the Cincinnati Fire Department. "The railroads aren't required to report to us."

A first step toward limited disclosure takes effect next month.

But secrecy still cloaks the rapidly expanding business of shipping crude by rail, leaving local officials from Portland, Ore., to Toronto struggling to obtain details about oil shipments. Driven by long-standing railroad-industry fears about stirring local protests or terrorist attacks, there is no central repository for information on oil trains or other hazardous materials. Nor are there easy-to-find maps of train routes from the oil fields of North Dakota and Texas to refineries on the Gulf of Mexico and the East and West coasts.

An emergency order from the U.S. Transportation Department in June will start requiring railroads to alert states about oil trains originating in North Dakota. But the rules, which follow accidents involving oil from North Dakota's Bakken Shale in such unlikely locations as Lynchburg, Va., and Aliceville, Ala., already are coming under criticism. Some critics say the new rules are inadequate, while others worry that any disclosures will increase the likelihood of sabotage.

The dearth of information partly reflects the surging popularity of oil trains, in which roughly 100 crude-laden tankers are strung together. In 2008, it would take four days for railroads to move 100 tank cars of oil. Today, oil trains of that size depart every two hours, according to industry and government statistics. The Energy Department estimates that 1 million barrels of oil a day ride the rails across the U.S., more crude than Libya, Ecuador or Qatar exports daily.

Federal safety regulations were tightened in 2009 to require railroads to conduct detailed yearly analysis to determine the safest routes for the most hazardous shipments, including radioactive materials, explosives and deadly chlorine and anhydrous ammonia. But oil isn't included, even though each tank car of crude holds the energy equivalent of two million sticks of dynamite or the fuel in a widebody jetliner.

I love it when people use numbers without ASKING is this for real?

one stick of dynamite weighs .62 lbs. X 2,000,000 = 1,240,000 lbs / 2,000 lbs / ton.. equals 620 tons.

Average railroad tanker car carries a maximum of 34,500 gallons of oil
There are 128 oz to a gallon so that means a gallon weighs 8 lbs.

Therefore the tanker car can carry at most 138 tons of something so..but not 620 tons.

How could any railroad car carry 620 tons of dynamite or 2 million sticks of dynamite?

Boeing 777 carries 47,890 gallons or 191 tons of fuel... again how can it then carry 2 million sticks weighing 620 tons?

Hmmm.....Maybe the pipeline is the lesser of two evils. 'Cuz this country just ain't goin' green....Not in our lifetime.

Emergency responders in Cincinnati know that trains full of crude oil have been rumbling through their city; they can see mile-long chains of black tank cars clacking across bridges over the Ohio River.

But they don't know enough to feel prepared for the kinds of fiery accidents that have occurred over the last 10 months after oil-train derailments. How many of the 100 trains that pass through residential neighborhoods and warehouse districts daily are carrying oil, for example? And when crude is carried, is it the kind that federal investigators have linked to explosions?

"We have no idea when trains are moving through and when they aren't," said Thomas Lakamp, special operations chief for the Cincinnati Fire Department. "The railroads aren't required to report to us."

But secrecy still cloaks the rapidly expanding business of shipping crude by rail, leaving local officials from Portland, Ore., to Toronto struggling to obtain details about oil shipments. Driven by long-standing railroad-industry fears about stirring local protests or terrorist attacks, there is no central repository for information on oil trains or other hazardous materials. Nor are there easy-to-find maps of train routes from the oil fields of North Dakota and Texas to refineries on the Gulf of Mexico and the East and West coasts.

An emergency order from the U.S. Transportation Department in June will start requiring railroads to alert states about oil trains originating in North Dakota. But the rules, which follow accidents involving oil from North Dakota's Bakken Shale in such unlikely locations as Lynchburg, Va., and Aliceville, Ala., already are coming under criticism. Some critics say the new rules are inadequate, while others worry that any disclosures will increase the likelihood of sabotage.

The dearth of information partly reflects the surging popularity of oil trains, in which roughly 100 crude-laden tankers are strung together. In 2008, it would take four days for railroads to move 100 tank cars of oil. Today, oil trains of that size depart every two hours, according to industry and government statistics. The Energy Department estimates that 1 million barrels of oil a day ride the rails across the U.S., more crude than Libya, Ecuador or Qatar exports daily.

Federal safety regulations were tightened in 2009 to require railroads to conduct detailed yearly analysis to determine the safest routes for the most hazardous shipments, including radioactive materials, explosives and deadly chlorine and anhydrous ammonia. But oil isn't included, even though each tank car of crude holds the energy equivalent of two million sticks of dynamite or the fuel in a widebody jetliner.

one stick of dynamite weighs .62 lbs. X 2,000,000 = 1,240,000 lbs / 2,000 lbs / ton.. equals 620 tons.

Therefore the tanker car can carry at most 138 tons of something so..but not 620 tons.

How could any railroad car carry 620 tons of dynamite or 2 million sticks of dynamite?

Ask the Wall Street Journal. They have a good reputation with the far right. Not me. I just quoted them.

Besides how do we know your math is right. You're an ordnance expert now? I suspect they are referring to the burn rate.

Last edited:
You really are the dimmest person on this board. For sure the laziest.

The Bad Oil Boom: Train Explodes in Virginia Town While Regulators Chug Along
By Matthew Philips April 30, 2014

A CSX (CSX) train carrying crude oil derailed Wednesday afternoon in downtown Lynchburg, Va., prompting the evacuation of some 300 people. Six cars went off the tracks, and local news reports cite at least three breaches on a train carrying between 12 and 14 tank cars loaded with crude.
Bad Oil Boom: Crude Train Explodes in Lynchburg, Va., While Regulators Chug Along - Businessweek
Yup, it didnt explode. Read the article. Better yet, get an adult to help.

Here, let's make it easy for you: Why is that passenger trains DON'T explode when they derail? I'll make the connecting dots bigger for you if that will help.

Four dead, 63 injured after NYC-bound Metro-North passenger train derails in Bronx - NY Daily News
derailed6-1201.jpg

OK, lemme check.
Yup. Still didnt explode. Read the article.

Remind me the last time a tank of crude oil exploded.

A CSX (CSX) train carrying crude oil derailed Wednesday afternoon in downtown Lynchburg, Va., prompting the evacuation of some 300 people. Six cars went off the tracks, and local news reports cite at least three breaches on a train carrying between 12 and 14 tank cars loaded with crude.
Bad Oil Boom: Crude Train Explodes in Lynchburg, Va., While Regulators Chug Along - Businessweek

I sometimes wonder if The Rabbi is a Lefty mole because he aint doin' the righties here any favors looking as clueless as he OFTEN does.

As to the OP, the Chinese got to get that oil.

Boeing 777 carries 47,890 gallons or 191 tons of fuel... again how can it then carry 2 million sticks weighing 620 tons?

I think you'll find your answers here. Apparently it's a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion) problem. But thanks for playing, and your silly math.

Oh, and RabbitBrain, this Youtube's for you. This tank didn't explode either. It just got all crispy n' stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

I sometimes wonder if The Rabbi is a Lefty mole because he aint doin' the righties here any favors looking as clueless as he OFTEN does.

As to the OP, the Chinese got to get that oil.

That's where it is going. If there is war in the Ukraine, then there will be a dramatic shift to export to Europe since they rely heavily on Russian oil. And liquefying natural gas, too.

Yup, it didnt explode. Read the article. Better yet, get an adult to help.

Here, let's make it easy for you: Why is that passenger trains DON'T explode when they derail? I'll make the connecting dots bigger for you if that will help.

Four dead, 63 injured after NYC-bound Metro-North passenger train derails in Bronx - NY Daily News
derailed6-1201.jpg

OK, lemme check.

But you fail to say what did, and you won't because you can't.

Ask the Wall Street Journal. They have a good reputation with the far right. Not me. I just quoted them.

Besides how do we know your math is right. You're an ordnance expert now? I suspect they are referring to the burn rate.

It's simple math..
Tanker carries up to 138 tons. 2 million stick equivalent explosive means the tanker have to carry 620 tons. That's the math.
stick dynamite weighs .62 lbs..
That's not an ordnance expert.. simple math.
NOW you may be right regarding THE equivalent of carrying 2 million sticks and that is determining how many calories of heat created by
respective explosive.. Gas for instance 1 gram equals 10 calories... but they aren't carrying gas.. oil.. and there are 19 gallons of refined gas from
from 42 gallons of oil... so that number has to be reduced to actually gas being carried which is none in these illustrations.

It's simple use of the internet...
Question everything you read on the internet including the WSJ... after all they still insist as most ignorant people there are 46 million uninsured..When it has been proven time and time again there have never been 46 million legal citizens, 14 million eligible not enrolled for Medicaid and 18 million that don't want or need health insurance.
But no one seems to comprehend that blind obedience to some publication without some common sense question.. that's all I'm asking!

In this case saying the equivalence of 620 tons of dynamite when you can't haul that in one car.
Second knowing that at least half a barrel of oil becomes gas WOULD reduce the equivalence because refined gas is designed to explode.
Raw oil no. It will but not as easily as a gallon of gas!

derailed6-1201.jpg

OK, lemme check.

But you fail to say what did, and you won't because you can't.

Please try to read past the headline. I know it's tough. Nothing in the article said anything exploded.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? You have been trained to like cars more than trains for your transportation. Now sit, lie down, roll over, good boy. The auto insurance companies love stupid people like you, too.

The oil companies and auto makers bought up the land around major train stations in the northeast a long time ago and have fought eminent domain so that our public transportation system has been essentially the same since the 1960s.
Go fuck yourself.

We have been successful, we like autos....blame it on whoever you want.

Bahahahaha....Facts are scary things to you, aren't they?
Not scary, Americans like their auto's....as do I.
Period

Forum List

Back