Enemies of America

Can anyone name an enemy of (fill in your favorite major world power here)__________ where (said major world power) didn't create that enemy through interference in that country or regional interference throughout the history of mankind, no matter how well intentioned.......... or painted as such by one faction within said country or region?

I've tried and I can't find one.

Anyone game to try?

How did Poland provoke Germany in the 1930s? What did Russia do to provoke Germany in the 1930s? What did the US do to Japan to provoke Pearl Harbor (besides sell them more scrap steel than all of Europe bought in those years)? What did Afghanistan do to provoke Russia in the 1970s?

What did Greece do to provoke Persia back in the day? What did any European region do to provoke Rome?

War mongers are what they are. My guess is not many of my generation - especially graying former yuppies who opposed the draft and later evolved into morally degenerate scum who supported invading Iraq and Afghanistan - would have admitted in the 1970s that one day they would be herded (like the human cattle they are) by corporatist neocons into supporting the US invading sovereign nations in Asia Minor for...

For what?

That has never been clear.

You're kidding right?

Admiral Perry ring a bell?

Nothing leading to Pearl Harbor. The one who visited Japan in the 19th century can hardly be a direct cause of Pearl Harbor per the discussion.

Last edited:
That's called cherry picking, taking out of context. You can believe that America is the only one at fault, the reality is all sides share in the fault to some degree or another and as you should know, perception is everything, thus most responsible for all sides views.
We can go into a historical dissertation on every aspect of this subject if you want but we'll probably be here, on this thread 24/7 for the next two months.
As for your cherry picking, interference from who's perspective? Radical Islam would see it as such but there are just as many in those regions who view radical Islam in the same light. What about their perspective? So far our major mistake of recent times was Iraq which gave radical Islam the propaganda tool to say, "see, we told you so. They want to destroy your way of life and destroy Islam", leading to some of the current views of America by other groups and some nations.
You need to do some historical research, not Wikipedia, real research and tell me why America became the enemy of China, the Soviet Union, N. Korea.

Cherry picking? No, just reacting to an inaccurate statement.
You suggested, perception may be a cause of some enemies but I argue, actual interference is the cause.
Of course, I can't argue against your point regarding Muslim extremists using attacks on Iraq/maybe Iran as propaganda but that's a minority in several countries, not a government of one that goes on to murder by the thousand as a result of its claims.
America has attacked a whole host of countries, not just Muslim countries so Islam is a moot point in the context of the thread; more so when you realise the thread stemmed from a thread about North Korea, not a Muslim majority country last time I looked.

The Soviet union is a dead duck now so a bit academic but China is alive and well.
We've seen a lot of anti Chinese (probably fake) news stories of late.
The South Korean computer hacks from a Chinese IP comes to mind but what actual military threat is China to the US?
You guys moaned when they commissioned an aircraft carrier, complaining of globalisation and possible attacks outside Chinese waters but exactly how many flattops does America have?
Back to N Korea. You guys supported the South Korean corrupt dictator and, more up to date, you guys started the new escalation by sending thousands of troops to the region.
Of course NK went ballistic, you landed a potential invasion force on the peninsular.

If Iran landed 40,000 troops with a mass of military hardware in Mexico at the invitation of the Mexican government, would you be happy?

Its not perception, its physical interference.

No, you cherry picked because it was only one part of the answer and you chose it because you could attack it by making it appear to be my only response. Your rambling concerning China, N Korea and S Korea shows nothing less than a complete lack of knowledge of real events and players, so can and will be dismissed out of hand. Given the fact that you've proven to be completely (and most likely willfully) ignorant of the causes and players in world events, you've successfully managed to destroy your own premise as stated in the OP.
Try again when you actually have facts, and an unbiased attitude, not state sponsored propaganda to play with.

That (My red bold) suggests America may be a victim of someone's perception but I argue it's always actual interference, not a perceived threat.
Given no one has managed to name an enemy that was not created by America, I believe I may well be correct.

I basically AGREE with you but STILL I FIND YOUR POV ANNOYING.

Want to know why?

Because you focused this obvious truism ONLY ON AMERICA.

This sad fact is true for EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH.

The thread is about America as that country has more enemies than any other.
Basically, I was thinking about the Korean conflict but this expanded into looking at all enemies of America.
In no case could I find an enemy that America didn't make for itself.

It may well be true of other countries but, in my opinion, American foreign policy has started more wars and killed more people than any other country in history, including colonial era England.

Yes, we heard your opinion. Why don't you answer my question?

Why don't you list all of America's enemies, and then we can discuss why they're enemies?

I basically AGREE with you but STILL I FIND YOUR POV ANNOYING.

Want to know why?

Because you focused this obvious truism ONLY ON AMERICA.

This sad fact is true for EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH.

Basically, I was thinking about the Korean conflict but this expanded into looking at all enemies of America.

It may well be true of other countries but, in my opinion, American foreign policy has started more wars and killed more people than any other country in history, including colonial era England.

Why don't you list all of America's enemies, and then we can discuss why they're enemies?

Because the thread is about America.
If you wish to start one about other countries, please feel free to do so.

As for the list, is there enough server space to cope with it?
I've a better idea, you post the name of an enemy country you think wasn't caused by America, and I tell you why they're an enemy.
I'm sure that'll be easier. :)

That's called cherry picking, taking out of context. You can believe that America is the only one at fault, the reality is all sides share in the fault to some degree or another and as you should know, perception is everything, thus most responsible for all sides views.
We can go into a historical dissertation on every aspect of this subject if you want but we'll probably be here, on this thread 24/7 for the next two months.
As for your cherry picking, interference from who's perspective? Radical Islam would see it as such but there are just as many in those regions who view radical Islam in the same light. What about their perspective? So far our major mistake of recent times was Iraq which gave radical Islam the propaganda tool to say, "see, we told you so. They want to destroy your way of life and destroy Islam", leading to some of the current views of America by other groups and some nations.
You need to do some historical research, not Wikipedia, real research and tell me why America became the enemy of China, the Soviet Union, N. Korea.

You suggested, perception may be a cause of some enemies but I argue, actual interference is the cause.
Of course, I can't argue against your point regarding Muslim extremists using attacks on Iraq/maybe Iran as propaganda but that's a minority in several countries, not a government of one that goes on to murder by the thousand as a result of its claims.
America has attacked a whole host of countries, not just Muslim countries so Islam is a moot point in the context of the thread; more so when you realise the thread stemmed from a thread about North Korea, not a Muslim majority country last time I looked.

The Soviet union is a dead duck now so a bit academic but China is alive and well.
The South Korean computer hacks from a Chinese IP comes to mind but what actual military threat is China to the US?
You guys moaned when they commissioned an aircraft carrier, complaining of globalisation and possible attacks outside Chinese waters but exactly how many flattops does America have?
Back to N Korea. You guys supported the South Korean corrupt dictator and, more up to date, you guys started the new escalation by sending thousands of troops to the region.
Of course NK went ballistic, you landed a potential invasion force on the peninsular.

If Iran landed 40,000 troops with a mass of military hardware in Mexico at the invitation of the Mexican government, would you be happy?

No, you cherry picked because it was only one part of the answer and you chose it because you could attack it by making it appear to be my only response. Your rambling concerning China, N Korea and S Korea shows nothing less than a complete lack of knowledge of real events and players, so can and will be dismissed out of hand. Given the fact that you've proven to be completely (and most likely willfully) ignorant of the causes and players in world events, you've successfully managed to destroy your own premise as stated in the OP.
Try again when you actually have facts, and an unbiased attitude, not state sponsored propaganda to play with.

Again, I cherry picked because you attempted to make an invalid point with that statement - that makes it fair game.
If you think the Korean situation isn't the fault of America, please say why and I'll be happy to debate it.
I see no reasoned argument from you, just unsupported suggestions.
I say North Korea is an enemy because America interfered in the country with a massive military attack that was nothing to do with defending the US and a lot to do with political rubbish in that you were trying to stop communism.

Split from another thread.

Can anyone name an enemy of America where America didn't create that enemy through interference in that country or regional interference?

Anyone game to try?

progressives are the greatest threat to America.
Democrat Republican obama
They are doing far more damage from within than any outside source could ever do.

So you can't name one either.

It's starting to look like no one can name an enemy of America that America didn't start on first yet you look a lot like you're going to attack North Korea, a nation that has NEVER attacked the United states and only shouts about you because you've built up thousands of troops on its border.

While your premise is correct since 1941, the US did NOTHING to provoke either Germany or Japan. Before WWII there are dozens of instances in history of major powers invading others without provocation including Japan and German attacks on US.

Last edited:

Again, I cherry picked because you attempted to make an invalid point with that statement - that makes it fair game.
If you think the Korean situation isn't the fault of America, please say why and I'll be happy to debate it.
I see no reasoned argument from you, just unsupported suggestions.
I say North Korea is an enemy because America interfered in the country with a massive military attack that was nothing to do with defending the US and a lot to do with political rubbish in that you were trying to stop communism.

So on the 25th of June, 1950 when N Korea invaded S Korea that was our fault....... It was our fault that we were allied with S Korea and came to their defense...... Since the cease fire of July 27th, 1953 the US having troops in S Korea to help defend the boarder is our fault....Due to the recent saber rattling and provocations of N Korea, our assurances to S Korea defense is our fault......
Oh yeah, S Korea's popularly elected President is a corrupt dictator......... and that we had "landed 40,000 troops" on N Korea's border......... That's the most telling statement you've made so far. :cuckoo:
My point is completely valid but your contumacious, benighted fallacy won't allow you to accept the reality of the statement.
You completely missed the reference to the Soviet Union and your original statement.... Not surprised.
Again, when you choose to apply real world facts based on actual occurrences and not state sponsored propaganda spins we'll be able to have a real discussion. Until then I find I am arguing with a La Fausse Monnaie.

I've a better idea, you post the name of an enemy country you think wasn't caused by America, and I tell you why they're an enemy.

You're talking about countries that America has made into enemies, so list them.
I thought you wanted a thoughtful discussion?
Your list will be the start.
Or you can whine instead?

You're talking about countries that America has made into enemies, so list them.

List them, are you kidding?
I sit down for hours to make a list with reason why they're against the US but you simply spout some crap in reply.

I have a far better idea.
You post a country that is anti America but for reasons not caused by American meddling.
I don't seriously expect you to be able to name one.
Any country with post WWII hate/distrust/anger towards America will do.

I sit down for hours to make a list with reason why they're against the US but you simply spout some crap in reply.

I have a far better idea.
You post a country that is anti America but for reasons not caused by American meddling.
I don't seriously expect you to be able to name one.
Any country with post WWII hate/distrust/anger towards America will do.

Not kidding. If you want to have an intelligent discussion.

Or you could whine some more.

I sit down for hours to make a list with reason why they're against the US

You have to take that long? I thought the reasons were obvious?
Just post the list, we'll all discuss the reasons.

So on the 25th of June, 1950 when N Korea invaded S Korea that was our fault....... It was our fault that we were allied with S Korea and came to their defense...... Since the cease fire of July 27th, 1953 the US having troops in S Korea to help defend the boarder is our fault....Due to the recent saber rattling and provocations of N Korea, our assurances to S Korea defense is our fault......
Oh yeah, S Korea's popularly elected President is a corrupt dictator......... and that we had "landed 40,000 troops" on N Korea's border......... That's the most telling statement you've made so far..

I love it when a poster has to lie/twist the truth and twist the angle in order to defend their point.
North Korea, whilst being run by a bunch of nasty little morons, is entirely right as far as its view of America is concerned.

The Soviets backed North Korea but withdrew their forces in '48.
America backed South Korea but kept forces in that country.

Syngman Rhee. total git and president of Korea was a nasty sod at best.
Have some history.

Syngman Rhee (president of South Korea) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia

After the war, since Rhee was the only Korean leader well known to Americans, he was returned to Korea ahead of the other members of the Provisional Government. He campaigned for a policy of immediate independence and unification of the country. He soon built up a mass political organization supported by strong-arm squads and a following among the police. With the assassination of the major moderate leaders, including Song Jin Woo and Chang Duk Soo, Rhee remained the most influential leader, and his new party won the elections in South Korea. In 1948 he became president of the Republic of Korea, a post to which he was reelected in 1952, 1956, and 1960.

As president, Rhee assumed dictatorial powers, tolerating little domestic opposition to his program. Rhee purged the National Assembly of members who opposed him and outlawed the opposition Progressive Party, whose leader, Cho Bong Am, was executed for treason. He controlled the appointment of mayors, village headmen, and chiefs of police. He even defied the United Nations (UN) during the Korean War (1950–53). Hoping that UN forces would continue to fight and eventually unite North and South Korea under one government, Rhee hindered the truce talks by ordering the release in June 1953 of some 25,000 anticommunist North Korean prisoners. (Under the agreed-upon truce settlement, these men were to have been repatriated to North Korea.) Stunned, the communists broke off the negotiations and renewed their attack, largely ignoring the UN forces and concentrating their fire on Rhee’s South Korean troops. Having made their point, the communists then resumed negotiations, and a truce settlement was speedily signed.

In spite of his authoritarian policies, Rhee failed to prevent the election of an opposition vice president, Chang Myŏn, in 1956. Government claims that the March 1960 elections gave Rhee more than 90 percent of the popular vote (55 percent in 1956) provoked student-led demonstrations against election fraud, resulting in heavy casualties and demands for Rhee’s resignation. These demands were supported by the unanimous vote of the National Assembly and by the U.S. government. Rhee resigned on April 27, 1960, and went into exile in Hawaii.

That account fails to mention the Bodo League and Geochang massacres, where Rhee had thousands murdered in order to get rid of 'communists'.

Try this one.

SparkNotes: The Korean War (1950-1953): North Korea's Surprise Attack

In 1949, Congress dragged its feet in considering a $150 million dollar aid bill to South Korea. Syngman Rhee had so often talked about invading North Korea that US leaders feared giving him too much in the way of weapons

So, in answer to your question, it wasn't America's fault directly but you did support an evil, a mass murdering dictator that made his wish to invade the North, very clear.

As for the latest spat,

U.S. military buildup in S. Korea months in making

WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon's deployment in the last week of its most advanced fighters, bombers and warships to counter North Korea's mounting threats has overshadowed its more gradual buildup of forces in the region.

Over the last year, the military has responded to the Obama administration's "pivot" to Asia as it withdraws troops from Afghanistan and its war in Iraq recedes into history. The rebalancing of forces addresses, in part, the rise of Chinese power in the region. Other changes were made with a clear focus on North Korea.

Oh look, America has been building up troops in South Korea for a good while.

However, this kicked it off.

War Games: South Korea, U.S. Begin Annual Military Drills As North Korea Makes New Threats

SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea and the United States began annual military drills Monday despite North Korean threats to respond by voiding the armistice that ended the Korean War and launching a nuclear attack on the U.S.

After the start of the drills, South Korean officials said their northern counterparts didn't answer two calls on a hotline between the sides, apparently following through on an earlier vow to cut the communication channel because of the drills.

The latest problems are directly down to America troop build up in the region.
Frankly, whist I have no love for North Korea, they're right about the American government's want of a war.
You guys are doing all you can to provoke it and spouting a load of lies about it all being down to the North's naughty intentions.

No one has managed to name one, thus, I believe I'm correct and America has created all its modern enemies.

The state of affairs in the world mostly involves market and resource economics. THAT the root cause of most wars.

Oh there's always some political or religious nonsense attached to the narrative to convince clueless people they need to fight for their nation, but generally every war in modern times has as its basic cause some ECONOMIC consideration.

Not just modern times. If one studies the history of each expansion and, or war and boils it down to the root cause it's always economic (resource) driven.

yes I think you are mostly right about that ringel.

I limited my observation to only "modern" times because it is so much more obvious and easier to prove post 1500 or so.

But obviously, even though Rome (as abut one example) had a very different economic model working for it, the motive for its continued expansion was CLEARLY economic.

Bread and circuses aren't cheap, ya know?

Can anyone name an enemy of America where America didn't create that enemy through interference in that country or regional interference?

Anyone game to try?

I have to admit, I didn't make clear I was looking at modern times, not pre WWII.

I'm taking a wild guess you can't find an example as requested in my OP so you're blustering in a silly attempt to divert attention form the clear truth; America made its own enemies.

If you're confident of your ability to win a debate, post the name of an enemy country you think wasn't America's fault.

Perhaps we could start with Iran - are they mad on attacking America because they're evil mini Hitlers or did America do something to them first?

Name one or admit you can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did Poland provoke Germany in the 1930s? What did Russia do to provoke Germany in the 1930s? What did the US do to Japan to provoke Pearl Harbor (besides sell them more scrap steel than all of Europe bought in those years)? What did Afghanistan do to provoke Russia in the 1970s?

What did Greece do to provoke Persia back in the day? What did any European region do to provoke Rome?

War mongers are what they are. My guess is not many of my generation - especially graying former yuppies who opposed the draft and later evolved into morally degenerate scum who supported invading Iraq and Afghanistan - would have admitted in the 1970s that one day they would be herded (like the human cattle they are) by corporatist neocons into supporting the US invading sovereign nations in Asia Minor for...

For what?

That has never been clear.

You're kidding right?

Admiral Perry ring a bell?

Nothing leading to Pearl Harbor. The one who visited Japan in the 19th century can hardly be a direct cause of Pearl Harbor per the discussion.

I think there is a very direct historical correlation between Admiral Perry's GUNBOAT diplomacy and the Japanese decision to modernize that eventually lead to it becoming entangled in WWII.

EXTREMELY direct, actually.

You do realize Perry's visit was NOT welcomed, right?

Anyone game to try?

I have to admit, I didn't make clear I was looking at modern times, not pre WWII.

I'm taking a wild guess you can't find an example as requested in my OP so you're blustering in a silly attempt to divert attention form the clear truth; America made its own enemies.

If you're confident of your ability to win a debate, post the name of an enemy country you think wasn't America's fault.

Perhaps we could start with Iran - are they mad on attacking America because they're evil mini Hitlers or did America do something to them first?

Anyone game to try?

I'll start with one.
Iran.

Tell me how America didn't cause that one.

If you manage, I'll add another but I seriously don't expect to have to.
Of course, you are simply blustering because you can't name a country as I requested in my OP.
You're making yourself look silly.

I'll start with one.
Iran.

Of course, you are simply blustering because you can't name a country as I requested in my OP.

So what did we do that made Iran our enemy?

I'll start with one.
Iran.

OPur CIA funded overthrow of their government in 1952 for starters.,

Our support for the Shah of Iran and his SECRET POLICE (trained by General Normal Swartskorfs daddy, I note) in the years following our Coup d etat for another.

I'll start with one.
Iran.

Our support for the Shah of Iran and his SECRET POLICE (trained by General Normal Swartskorfs daddy, I note) in the years following our Coup d etat for another.

QFT

:thup:

I'll start with one.
Iran.

Cheers, saved me bothering. :)

Forum List

Back