Emotionally Evocative Images

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
from Library of Congress Photo-stream courtesy of Flickr

The below scene was photographed between 1941 and 1942; no location is given.
I well may be wrong, but I think it might be somewhere in Oklahoma or Texas because of the rudeness of the construction of the houses and the likelihood that the smokestacks are part of an oil refinery location. In the middle distance there's what appears to be a covered causeway which seems to connect the "factories."

Houses and Factories ca 1941-42 (a Title, "industrial facilities - houses" was devised by Library staff)

2178387189_81a3d902a4_o.jpg

I'm thinking "oil refinery", only because the only place I've seen multiple smokestacks like these is in Ashland, Kentucky, where Marathon Oil has a large refinery, SEEN HERE. If the Ashland refinery was being looked up at as in the unknown one above they'd look very similar.

You can enter the site H E R E. There is archival data by the library, and notes, comments, and "tags" by other viewers. There is also a search function to find your own subjects. These are not recent pictures; actually the colored ones are from color slides, a medium which was very popular back in the 40's and beyond. There are also a lot of early B&W photos.

If you find an image you’d like to share: Because of the added notes and tags the midsized images are interactive and they can’t be “imaged” from the URL.
To image a favorite here at USMB you’ll need to click on the magnifying glass for “all sizes” and from the larger image right-click, and then from "properties" C&P the URL.

In the search function under the category "the commons" I entered the name of my home town and state of Indiana and came up with this image from circa 1914.

2163538660_7489dee772_o.jpg

Bain News Service,, publisher.

The Center of Population of U.S. [man standing next to memorial stone]

[between 1910 and 1915]

1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller.

Notes:
Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards.
Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress).

Format: Glass negatives.

Will be interesting to see where that is this census. Might even be west of the Mississippi and south of the Missouri.

Forum List

Back