Electoral College

Good read and video.

David Frum Advocates Electoral College Change, Citing Trump Win

I think it is a must it is maintained. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts. As the read and video suggests, going National has some consequences that people may not like.

Must, I'm not that excited about.

Changing it, I'm not that excited.

Let's revisit the issue when we start getting 5 or 10 percent differences in the popular vote vs who wins the college. For right now, it isn't broke, let's not fix it.

As it stands we have an EC that was put in place to entice slave states to join the Union. And in doing so (along with Senate election rules) we have skewed the process in a way that virtually guarantees that less populous states have far more power than states with more population.

That is quite simply a "tyranny by the minority" and needs to be addressed.

We saw a Presidential election where 3 million more people voted for the candidate that lost in 2016. Two of the last three Presidential elections for first term Presidents were won by (Republican) candidates that LOST the popular vote.

Oh and in 2018 12 million more people voted Dem for Senate candidates and Dems LOST seats.

Clearly reform is required

As it stands we have an EC that was put in place to entice slave states to join the Union. And in doing so (along with Senate election rules) we have skewed the process in a way that virtually guarantees that less populous states have far more power than states with more population.

We saw a Presidential election where 3 million more people voted for the candidate that lost in 2016. Two of the last three Presidential elections for first term Presidents were won by (Republican) candidates that LOST the popular vote.

Oh and in 2018 12 million more people voted Dem for Senate candidates and Dems LOST seats.

States are still free to set up laws how they see fit, as long as they don't impact the Federal government's responsibilities or the Rights of the People.

Why do people in California and New York feel the need to force their views on people from Wisconsin and Iowa?

The whole purpose of Federalism was to make many into "one", not make everyone part of a monolithic "one"

Good read and video.

I think it is a must it is maintained. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts. As the read and video suggests, going National has some consequences that people may not like.

Must, I'm not that excited about.

Changing it, I'm not that excited.

Let's revisit the issue when we start getting 5 or 10 percent differences in the popular vote vs who wins the college. For right now, it isn't broke, let's not fix it.

Even then, the Remedy is for people in the larger States to enact laws at the State level they want, of course making sure they don't impact on the rights of the People, or the responsibilities of the federal government.

States can enact their version of medicare for all, their version of carbon control, and their version of taxation all they want. Why do they feel the need to use the federal government to impose it on everyone else?

How far does it have to be skewed for one side and for how long does it have to gt for us to recognize a problem? That's crazy.

And let's not forget that along with the Executive and Senate "discrepancy" is the fact that those two parts of our government determine the make up of the Supreme Court.

Those two Presidencies determined by elections in which Republicans lost the popular vote account for FOUR out of only nine SCOTUS seats....

This is clearly not the "will of the people"

It would be totally unfaor to rural areas and small cities. Candidates will not waste their time going to Podunk, New Jersey when there are 20 times the voters in Atlantic City.

The people are different in smaller towns with smaller needs but must be heard just as the voters in the big cities. That could only happen with the electoral college.

How far does it have to be skewed for one side and for how long does it have to gt for us to recognize a problem? That's crazy.

And let's not forget that along with the Executive and Senate "discrepancy" is the fact that those two parts of our government determine the make up of the Supreme Court.

Those two Presidencies determined by elections in which Republicans lost the popular vote account for FOUR out of only nine SCOTUS seats....

The Office of the President was never meant to represent the will of the people, but a population weighted will of the States.

The Senate is designed to level the playing field between large states and small states, both in size and population.

The will of the people is represented by both the House, and by their own State governments.

Why do people in California and New York feel the need to force their views on people from Wisconsin and Iowa?

Why do the people of Iowa and Wyoming and Montana feel the need to force their views on the people of New York and California...because that is REALLY what is happening

I would bet that if it were republicans winning the pop vote you would say different

we are not a democracy and the EC keeps that from coming to be

Why do the people of Iowa and Wyoming and Montana feel the need to force their views on the people of New York and California...because that is REALLY what is happening

How are they? Why can't NY and California enact the laws at the State level?

I'm not that bothered yet. Land still has some importance in this country and the college, our senate, balances that. Keep in mind, someday it may swing the other way.

The Senate is designed to level the playing field between large states and small states, both in size and population.

Well as noted previously...that playing field is NOT level. It is heavily tilted towards those smaller states

It would be totally unfaor to rural areas and small cities. Candidates will not waste their time going to Podunk, New Jersey when there are 20 times the voters in Atlantic City.

The people are different in smaller towns with smaller needs but must be heard just as the voters in the big cities. That could only happen with the electoral college.

Do candidates waste their time now in such places?

How many campaign stops were there in Wy, Mt, Wi, SD, ND, De, or Ak?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Good read and video.

See this map. Libtardos want the small areas of blue to rule over the red areas. It will never happen and there is no way to get a change through Congress so it's all just bullshit ranting by the butthurt snowflakes.

The good news is the farther left the lunatics go the redder the map will get.

images

Good read and video.

I have not ran across a better idea yet, but the EC is not without its flaws.

I think is discourages participation. At least 2/3 of the states are “not in play”, one party is going to win them, pretty much every time.

Also, it keeps there from ever being competition for the duopoly.

Good read and video.

See this map. Libtardos want the small areas of blue to rule over the red areas. It will never happen and there is no way to get a change through Congress so it's all just bullshit ranting by the butthurt snowflakes.

The good news is the farther left the lunatics go the redder the map will get.

images

Land does not vote, people vote.

Forum List

Back