Electoral College

It would be totally unfaor to rural areas and small cities. Candidates will not waste their time going to Podunk, New Jersey when there are 20 times the voters in Atlantic City.

The people are different in smaller towns with smaller needs but must be heard just as the voters in the big cities. That could only happen with the electoral college.

Actually the candies wouldn't go to anywhere in New Jersey because the red candidate knows he can't win and the blue one knows he's got it in the bag, so what's the point?

Thank the WTA/EC for that gem.

Now if it were counted proportionally there would actually be reason to go to New Jersey, incluidng Podunk, you'd draw a crowd bigger than Podunk's own population, and all the other Podunks would relate - "look, a small town just like us" --- because the population of Podunk or AC in no way determines how many people are gonna show up.

PLUS the fact that the more warm bodies that DO show up, the less intimate and connected the setting is, so what have you really accomplished other than a photo op.

Good read and video.

David Frum Advocates Electoral College Change, Citing Trump Win

I think it is a must it is maintained. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts. As the read and video suggests, going National has some consequences that people may not like.

The FF were far sighted intelligent men.

The EC guarantees everyone votes will count not just those living in heavily populated cities and States.

Without the EC those cities and States would decide every election.

That is not really the case. In Cali 4.4 million people voted and their counted for nothing, same with 3.8 million people in Texas

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

The Senate is designed to level the playing field between large states and small states, both in size and population.

Well as noted previously...that playing field is NOT level. It is heavily tilted towards those smaller states

No, it is balanced as the framers intended.

That must be why one of those framers who had a major hand in designing the EC (Madison) was staunchly against the way we're abusing it.

REALLY?? We're gonna sit here and hash ALL THIS all over again expecting different results? REALLY?

He would also be against the overall size of the federal government, and the fact that lawful citizens are not trusted by some with firearms.

Assumptions of past person viewpoints work both ways.

You owe me a nickel for that deflection. Voting and the EC have nothing to do with friggin' "firearms".

The Senate is designed to level the playing field between large states and small states, both in size and population.

Well as noted previously...that playing field is NOT level. It is heavily tilted towards those smaller states

That must be why one of those framers who had a major hand in designing the EC (Madison) was staunchly against the way we're abusing it.

REALLY?? We're gonna sit here and hash ALL THIS all over again expecting different results? REALLY?

He would also be against the overall size of the federal government, and the fact that lawful citizens are not trusted by some with firearms.

You owe me a nickel for that deflection. Voting and the EC have nothing to do with friggin' "firearms".

Not at all. you appealed to the past, I called you on it for only appealing a specific point.

Good read and video.

I think it is a must it is maintained. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts. As the read and video suggests, going National has some consequences that people may not like.

The EC guarantees everyone votes will count not just those living in heavily populated cities and States.

That is not really the case. In Cali 4.4 million people voted and their counted for nothing, same with 3.8 million people in Texas

In the end we are the United States

MA is super left and it is annoying because I just cannot follow their logic but I have the option to move to a Red state or to a swing state if I so choose. No one is holding a gun to my head to live in Leftist MA. So that is really more or less on me not on our voting system.

Good read and video.

MA is super left and it is annoying because I just cannot follow their logic but I have the option to move to a Red state or to a swing state if I so choose. No one is holding a gun to my head to live in Leftist MA. So that is really more or less on me not on our voting system.

It seems the very fact we have “red” and “blue” states is on the voting system.

Good read and video.

To your point when you really only have two options that is how the cookie crumbles.

So Republicans want the system to remain the same because it greatly benefits THEM..in spite of the fact that they have less support and fewer supporters.

Sure...that makes sense

Good read and video.

To your point when you really only have two options that is how the cookie crumbles.

And the current system ensures we will never have more choices...which again seems less than ideal

And the current system ensures we will never have more choices...which again seems less than ideal

I agree but we are stuck in it

This whole thread is nothing more than mental masturbation.

It's getting quite disturbing

I agree but we are stuck in it

Only because we choose to be so

Not at all. you appealed to the past, I called you on it for only appealing a specific point.

I did not "appeal to the past". I appealed to a designer of the Electrical College, for his credentials, and noted how he was against the short-circuiting way we've had it perverted to. Namely WTA. What time period Madison belongs to is irrelevant to that point. If the EC had been designed last year the point would be the same.

This whole thread is nothing more than mental masturbation.

It's getting quite disturbing

I have yet to understand why we're seeing thread after thread after thread after thread on the Electoral College all of a sudden in an odd-numbered year. Something must be happening. :dunno:

Is all of this just because Elizabeth Warren made a comment about it recently? Because damn, that's power.

I did not "appeal to the past". I appealed to a designer of the Electrical College, for his credentials, and noted how he was against the short-circuiting way we've had it perverted to. Namely WTA. What time period Madison belongs to is irrelevant here.

Yes, you did appeal to the past.

That he was a constructor of the EC is another question.

I did not "appeal to the past". I appealed to a designer of the Electrical College, for his credentials, and noted how he was against the short-circuiting way we've had it perverted to. Namely WTA. What time period Madison belongs to is irrelevant here.

Yes, you did appeal to the past.

That he was a constructor of the EC is another question.

I didn't even put a date on it, Dumbass. That he was a constructor of the EC is the entire point. One which apparently you find overwhelming so you want to inject "dates" as if that's even an argument. IT ISN'T.

Forum List

Back