Education a right ?

Education a right

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This boedicca character is confusing me with bodecea. One is a lib and one is apparently a con.

Someone needs to change a name.

I'd be all for education being considered a right if an amendment were created and passed. I can get behind the idea that education is important enough to the citizenry that it be considered a "right", but not until the constitution clearly authorizes it.

Well it is not mentioned in the U.S. Constitution but is addressed in most every state constitution (obvious 10th Ammendment issue). The Virginia Consititution says thats the Commonwealth of Virginia must provide a quality and free primary and secondary education to all school aged kids. So here in Virginia an education is a protected right and requirement of the state government.

Education is the the best way to get out of poverty. The parents who realize this in my 'economically challenged' neighborhood I teach in realize this. They are the ones who make sure their children are in school, and that they (the parents) show up for every parent meeting, and make sure that their kids and themselves are held accountable for their actions, instead of laying the blame on the schools or the teachers.

If we didn't have public education for these children, what would happen to them?
Do they get an education by sitting there or do they have to work to acquire it?

Oh, we make sure we indoctrine them in Gay Sex and Muslim Rituals, isn't that what they do in the public schools according to some anti-education peeps on here?

What are your thoughts to fix the schools Mr. F?
For one I would do away with the DOE and its insane text book policies.

Putting a bone in your nose is not the same as putting a man on the moon.

Teach real history and math and science ,not culture and dogma.
Culture is based of poverty of resources and ideas, Not opertunity .

Is this what we should be teaching?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8]YouTube - Story of Stuff, Full Version; How Things Work, About Stuff[/ame]

Dude ....

Did your TI at least try to slap some sense into you at the time?

I don't really remember. I actually LITERALLY could not afford to lose the $200 a month at the time. My entire $1171 a month at E-3 was already spoken for in various bills. I was financially retarded at 19 years old.

But in hindsight, I wish I would have just let some of my bills go late for a while at the very worst, because the rewards of the GI Bill would have more than made up for that.

I thought it was $100 a month but if you couldn't afford 2 then I doubt it would have made a difference.

I remember like 5 like different people giving my flight the, "don't be a fool, take this deal" speech.
Yeah I do remember being told adamantly to take it. In fact, we were given a chance to all call home and discuss it with family before we made our decision.

And yeah I think you're right, I think it WAS $100. Damn. Like I said, I was financially retarded.

I could have just staggered my lateness on bills through each different one for a while until I got around to getting current again.

Oh well. Win some, lose some :lol:

I don't like the question. According to the NJ Constitution a free education is a right. I agree that However, I also believe that "right" should be revoked for students who are clearly uneducable. NJ has determined that the right cannot be taken away - even for the most dangerous students Therefore maybe the word should be changed.

Anti-public school advocates create a community hostile to the institution itself. That in turn creates students who are hostile to education.The apple doesn't fall far.. This can be dangerous for everyone. Be careful what you wish for.

This boedicca character is confusing me with bodecea. One is a lib and one is apparently a con.

Just put bodecea. on ignore, you wont miss anything and will enjoy her post in the best manner possible.

I'd be all for education being considered a right if an amendment were created and passed. I can get behind the idea that education is important enough to the citizenry that it be considered a "right", but not until the constitution clearly authorizes it.

Well it is not mentioned in the U.S. Constitution but is addressed in most every state constitution (obvious 10th Ammendment issue). The Virginia Consititution says thats the Commonwealth of Virginia must provide a quality and free primary and secondary education to all school aged kids. So here in Virginia an education is a protected right and requirement of the state government.

Ok, so then where does the Federal government get its authority to legislate and regulate it?

Not to mention, hold it hostage via funding based on conformity to standards and all that bullshit.

It is a right in Washington state!
I guess it is all Washington State's duty to fund education.

Wash. judge rules state failing constitutional duty to fully fund basic education
A judge has ruled that the state of Washington is not fulfilling its constitutional duty to fully pay for basic public education.

Thursday’s decision by King County Superior Court Judge John Erlick comes after nearly two months of testimony last fall in the lawsuit brought by a coalition of school districts, parents, teachers and community leaders. They said the state was failing its constitutional duty. The state argued it was fully funding education.

Very little pay is a bit relative.

A single 23 year old E-5 with 5 years of service stationed at Fort Bragg will make $28,968.00 in taxable base pay this year.

In addition to that the troop will receive tax free $15,262 in BAS and BAH.

What's that the equivilent of? About 50k a year? Not too bad ... and it only gets higher with a wife and kids.

Plus full health care benefits and the sweet education deal ... which BTW doesn't have to be used until after your service is completed because while active duty you receive 100% tuition assistance and don't have to cut into your GI bill.

I understand your point but the military done have one serious stranglehold on a gigantic government breast.

When you pay for your GI bill as an e-1, you are indeed earning very little pay... that being my point
Plus the risks you take when you sign on that line... there needs to be some good benefits or this volunteer military would not have many volunteers

Please remember that not all soldiers receive BAQ and separate rats

The military is employment, service, etc... not some louse of a entitlement junkie draining the blood off of those who do produce, while producing nothing in return

As and E-1 you are coddled ... pretty much your entire first year you are coddled. Like you pointed out, not all soldier receive food and housing entitlements because they are living on post .. those things are automatically taken care of ... this include the E-1's.

But anyway ... yes, Dave I understand the diff.

However, I also am of the opinion that the GI Bill is the single greatest piece of social legislation passed in the modern era. IMO, it was part of the foundation that built the middle class.

Your rhetoric ... stuff like ... "louse of a entitlement junkie draining the blood off of those who do produce, while producing nothing in return" ... I mean, what is that if not a bunch of hot air? Who's to say those people aren't productive taxpaying members of society? Or that those who benefit from government funded education wouldn't give something back?

Well.. start looking at maslow's hierarchy of needs then... you need to start having a right to all those things below where education would be??

As an adult you have to take care of yourself.. we don't need some nanny state to take over the personal needs of some by the confiscation from the producers in society

The 'rhetoric' you speak of is not hot air... it is what I support and how I live and how I teach my children to live

If there were some amendment putting in the 'right' to education of every minor... I would not oppose it, but neither would I say it is a necessity where it must be called for... as we have the right to pursue happiness and a system of educating minors now.... but I will never, ever, ever support education being a right for adults, and even more certainly I will not support the education of all adults at the expense of all others

I don't really remember. I actually LITERALLY could not afford to lose the $200 a month at the time. My entire $1171 a month at E-3 was already spoken for in various bills. I was financially retarded at 19 years old.

But in hindsight, I wish I would have just let some of my bills go late for a while at the very worst, because the rewards of the GI Bill would have more than made up for that.

I thought it was $100 a month but if you couldn't afford 2 then I doubt it would have made a difference.

I remember like 5 like different people giving my flight the, "don't be a fool, take this deal" speech.
Yeah I do remember being told adamantly to take it. In fact, we were given a chance to all call home and discuss it with family before we made our decision.

And yeah I think you're right, I think it WAS $100. Damn. Like I said, I was financially retarded.

I could have just staggered my lateness on bills through each different one for a while until I got around to getting current again.

Oh well. Win some, lose some :lol:

Yup we all make our bad decisions ... Lord knows I've made a shitload of 'em!

Dude ....

Did your TI at least try to slap some sense into you at the time?

The worst part about it was a large portion of my bills was my truck payment and my expensive ass insurance payment, and I didn't get to have my car all throughout tech school because I was in Cali and my truck was back here in NJ.

7 months of paying all that money for NOTHING.

The worst part about it was a large portion of my bills was my truck payment and my expensive ass insurance payment, and I didn't get to have my car all throughout tech school because I was in Cali and my truck was back here in NJ.

Having a car at tech school was like insta-pussy ....

I was here first.

The other one is an imposter.

Just sayin'.

It is a right in Washington state!
I guess it is all Washington State's duty to fund education.

Wash. judge rules state failing constitutional duty to fully fund basic education
A judge has ruled that the state of Washington is not fulfilling its constitutional duty to fully pay for basic public education.

Thursday’s decision by King County Superior Court Judge John Erlick comes after nearly two months of testimony last fall in the lawsuit brought by a coalition of school districts, parents, teachers and community leaders. They said the state was failing its constitutional duty. The state argued it was fully funding education.

Not for adults though, who are to be responsible for themselves

I fully believe this is 3 separate arguments

Differing education for minors and adults
Whether right to education is covered under right to pursue happiness
And whether right to the education of minors should be in the nation's constitution or still left up to the individual states (and if it should be a right in your state)

The right to Pursue Something doesn't mean the right to make others pay for it on your behalf.

Having a car at tech school was like insta-pussy ....

I Know!!

Especially at Vandenberg, because there was nothing even REMOTELY fun to do off base that wasn't at least a 30 minute drive.

Lackland was alright because local transportation was cheap enough.

Ok, so then where does the Federal government get its authority to legislate and regulate it?

Not to mention, hold it hostage via funding based on conformity to standards and all that bullshit.

Those questions arent really related to anything I said.

I dont think states have to adopt federal government education standards but if they dont then they lose out on that money. Also a large majority of the money spent on education is done at the state and local level.

If you're a resident of a town and a property tax payer in good standing to that town, then yes, your children have a right to an elementary and secondary education.

[

You have the right to pursue your happiness.. and if part of that happiness is your education... knock yourself out

Ditto re firearms, however they are more important than education it seems...so much so you had to put it in your constitution. As I said, glad to see the US has its priorities...

:rolleyes: ...dunno where this clown got its education, but theyre under the impression there was a concept of universal education in the 18th century.

alas, the founders werent looking to protect us from those hordes of legislators looking to ban education.:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back