Education a right ?

Education a right

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
[

You have the right to pursue your happiness.. and if part of that happiness is your education... knock yourself out

Ditto re firearms, however they are more important than education it seems...so much so you had to put it in your constitution. As I said, glad to see the US has its priorities...

Self defense is more important than education.. you can do for yourself without an education (many have in this country and with great success).. you cannot survive without defending yourself

Yep.. used some of that employment benefit I agreed to

Does not make education a right... just as any other employer's tuition reimbursement does not make it a right

No, it doesn't make it a right, but because of your rhetoric it makes you look like an ass.

A $1200 investment for a guaranteed 36k return. Pretty effing sweet deal. I should know.

Plus the enormous amount of other benefits you receive from being in the service. Again, I should know.

All on the taxpayers dime.

The military, in many ways, is the pinnacle of entitlements.

As a return for EMPLOYMENT and complete and total service... with very little pay

You are confusing entitlements with job benefits again

Support job benefits as compensation for labors given does not nullify the stance against redistribution and entitlements

Very little pay is a bit relative.

A single 23 year old E-5 with 5 years of service stationed at Fort Bragg will make $28,968.00 in taxable base pay this year.

In addition to that the troop will receive tax free $15,262 in BAS and BAH.

What's that the equivilent of? About 50k a year? Not too bad ... and it only gets higher with a wife and kids.

Plus full health care benefits and the sweet education deal ... which BTW doesn't have to be used until after your service is completed because while active duty you receive 100% tuition assistance and don't have to cut into your GI bill.

I understand your point but the military done have one serious stranglehold on a gigantic government breast.

More like a shield protecting that breast.

Just sayin'.

All of government is bloated. Blaming the soldiers on the front line is misguided, imo.

No, it doesn't make it a right, but because of your rhetoric it makes you look like an ass.

A $1200 investment for a guaranteed 36k return. Pretty effing sweet deal. I should know.

Plus the enormous amount of other benefits you receive from being in the service. Again, I should know.

All on the taxpayers dime.

The military, in many ways, is the pinnacle of entitlements.

As a return for EMPLOYMENT and complete and total service... with very little pay

Support job benefits as compensation for labors given does not nullify the stance against redistribution and entitlements

A single 23 year old E-5 with 5 years of service stationed at Fort Bragg will make $28,968.00 in taxable base pay this year.

What's that the equivilent of? About 50k a year? Not too bad ... and it only gets higher with a wife and kids.

Plus full health care benefits and the sweet education deal ... which BTW doesn't have to be used until after your service is completed because while active duty you receive 100% tuition assistance and don't have to cut into your GI bill.

I understand your point but the military done have one serious stranglehold on a gigantic government breast.

When you pay for your GI bill as an e-1, you are indeed earning very little pay... that being my point
Plus the risks you take when you sign on that line... there needs to be some good benefits or this volunteer military would not have many volunteers

Please remember that not all soldiers receive BAQ and separate rats

The military is employment, service, etc... not some louse of a entitlement junkie draining the blood off of those who do produce, while producing nothing in return

Education is the the best way to get out of poverty. The parents who realize this in my 'economically challenged' neighborhood I teach in realize this. They are the ones who make sure their children are in school, and that they (the parents) show up for every parent meeting, and make sure that their kids and themselves are held accountable for their actions, instead of laying the blame on the schools or the teachers.

If we didn't have public education for these children, what would happen to them?

Education is the the best way to get out of poverty. The parents who realize this in my 'economically challenged' neighborhood I teach in realize this. They are the ones who make sure their children are in school, and that they (the parents) show up for every parent meeting, and make sure that their kids and themselves are held accountable for their actions, instead of laying the blame on the schools or the teachers.

If we didn't have public education for these children, what would happen to them?
Do they get an education by sitting there or do they have to work to acquire it?

[

You have the right to pursue your happiness.. and if part of that happiness is your education... knock yourself out

Ditto re firearms, however they are more important than education it seems...so much so you had to put it in your constitution. As I said, glad to see the US has its priorities...

Self defense is more important than education.. you can do for yourself without an education (many have in this country and with great success).. you cannot survive without defending yourself

And yet the US is the only western country that feels the need to write down the right to bear arms in its constitution (shrug)...the rest of us seem to survive quite well without it....

There are many ways to get an education beyond the classroom.

OK Ms.Kitty. Please enlighten us on your ideas of how the millions of children in the USA can be educated without public schools.

We all know parents should also enrich their child's lives by taking them places, exposing them to books, art and music, etc....but not every parent can/does. Should the entire USA home school their child? Should all education be privatized and run like a business?

Pepsi High School-where you're carbonated every day!

Ex Lax Middle School-where the slow students excel!

[

The firearms amendment is for SECURITY though, it was part of defense.

I'd be all for education being considered a right if an amendment were created and passed. I can get behind the idea that education is important enough to the citizenry that it be considered a "right", but not until the constitution clearly authorizes it.

Do they get an education by sitting there or do they have to work to acquire it?

Oh, we make sure we indoctrine them in Gay Sex and Muslim Rituals, isn't that what they do in the public schools according to some anti-education peeps on here?

What are your thoughts to fix the schools Mr. F?

When you pay for your GI bill as an e-1, you are indeed earning very little pay... that being my point
Plus the risks you take when you sign on that line... there needs to be some good benefits or this volunteer military would not have many volunteers

Please remember that not all soldiers receive BAQ and separate rats

The military is employment, service, etc... not some louse of a entitlement junkie draining the blood off of those who do produce, while producing nothing in return

As and E-1 you are coddled ... pretty much your entire first year you are coddled. Like you pointed out, not all soldier receive food and housing entitlements because they are living on post .. those things are automatically taken care of ... this include the E-1's.

But anyway ... yes, Dave I understand the diff.

However, I also am of the opinion that the GI Bill is the single greatest piece of social legislation passed in the modern era. IMO, it was part of the foundation that built the middle class.

Your rhetoric ... stuff like ... "louse of a entitlement junkie draining the blood off of those who do produce, while producing nothing in return" ... I mean, what is that if not a bunch of hot air? Who's to say those people aren't productive taxpaying members of society? Or that those who benefit from government funded education wouldn't give something back?

When you enlist, you authorize the government to use your body to fight a potential war, with the distinct possibility of imminent death.

The least they can do is give you some school money should you live through your enlistment period.

I wish I didn't decline mine.

When you enlist, you authorize the government to use your body to fight a potential war, with the distinct possibility of imminent death.

The least they can do is give you some school money should you live through your enlistment period.

Dude ....

Did your TI at least try to slap some sense into you at the time?

There are many ways to get an education beyond the classroom.

OK Ms.Kitty. Please enlighten us on your ideas of how the millions of children in the USA can be educated without public schools.

We all know parents should also enrich their child's lives by taking them places, exposing them to books,art and music, etc....but not every parent can/does. Should the entire USA home school their child? Should all education be privatized and run like a business?

Pepsi High School-where you're carbonated every day!

Ex Lax Middle School-where the slow students excel!

I was actually talking about higher education one can receive after HS. I feel we have a responsibility to provide and mandate basic education for all youth. It is in our countries best interest to have an educated population. If some one wants to learn anything bad enough they will find a way.

Dude ....

I don't really remember. I actually LITERALLY could not afford to lose the $200 a month at the time. My entire $1171 a month at E-3 was already spoken for in various bills. I was financially retarded at 19 years old.

But in hindsight, I wish I would have just let some of my bills go late for a while at the very worst, because the rewards of the GI Bill would have more than made up for that.

Dude ....

I don't really remember. I actually LITERALLY could not afford to lose the $200 a month at the time. My entire $1171 a month at E-3 was already spoken for in various bills. I was financially retarded at 19 years old.

But in hindsight, I wish I would have just let some of my bills go late for a while at the very worst, because the rewards of the GI Bill would have more than made up for that.

I thought it was $100 a month but if you couldn't afford 2 then I doubt it would have made a difference.

I remember like 5 like different people giving my flight the, "don't be a fool, take this deal" speech.

Forum List

Back