Ebola Could Infect 1.4 Million People By Jan. 20

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Ebola could infect 1.4 million people by Jan. 20 - The Week

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released more bad news about the Ebola outbreak in West Africa on Tuesday. If the disease continues on its current path, the CDC warned, it could infect as many as 1.4 million people by Jan. 20.

The announcement comes a day after the World Health Organization announced that Ebola cases could triple to 20,000 by November, unless there are "drastic improvements in control measures."

The WHO estimates that the current Ebola outbreak includes 5,843 infections and 2,803 deaths.

Thank you Mr President, for taking a proactive stance.

silliness , 3000 American soldiers are in line to get sick , maybe bring it back to the USA and infect Americans . Like I say , Silliness !!

The CDC seems really really worried about this one. Methinks they are primarily concerned with the large number of cases leading to more opportunities for mutations.

maybe they are good at organization but I don't want them in Africa . We'll see what happens OldSchool !!

I don't want them getting sick and able to transmit to Americans OldSchool . If they get sick they MAY be headed to hospitals in population centers in the USA , as my guess .

I don't want them getting sick and able to transmit to Americans OldSchool . If they get sick they MAY be headed to hospitals in population centers in the USA , as my guess .

Most of the soliders will be setting up infrastructure, not treating patients.

Plus, if you are going to bring them back to the States, they will probably be isolated on base for 1-2 weeks, enough time to assure they did not bring anything back.

We have already brought back a few doc's who caught it, and no further transmission happened.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released more bad news about the Ebola outbreak in West Africa on Tuesday. If the disease continues on its current path, the CDC warned, it could infect as many as 1.4 million people by Jan. 20.

The announcement comes a day after the World Health Organization announced that Ebola cases could triple to 20,000 by November, unless there are "drastic improvements in control measures."

The WHO estimates that the current Ebola outbreak includes 5,843 infections and 2,803 deaths.

Africa has 1.1 billion people if I recall. And regularly suffers famines due to overpopulation. So maybe ebola and other outbreaks are just nature's way of thinning the herd to sustainable levels?

Africa has more food than it could possibly consume yet exports the vast majority of it. To become self-sustaining they need to radically change their policies where they sell all their food. If you sell all your locally produced food so that the people growing and raising it are starving to death something's wrong. And the money they earn doesn't have much use if there's no food left to buy.

Africa's been a problem my entire life and a good deal before that. Hate to be cruel, but if we keep intervening everytime their own policies shoot themselves in the head they'll never change for the better and adopt sustainable policies. If we save every famine stricken area, reproducing aged people will simply survive to reproduce multiplying the problem for the next time. Best way to help Africa then is to quit helping. Force them to save themselves or die out. Faced with extinction, people tend to act more in their own better interests. But if they can look foward to foreign aid each time they have no incentive or need to help themselves.

It will be really hard for our military to do anything since it's America being blamed for ebola. It will end up another Mogadishu, and that's best case.

As long as it's 1.5 million africans.......

I hope it's a joke that Palin suggested we invade Ebola?

Remember when she and Michelle Bachmann were on a stage at some RW shindig and she said we should retaliate against cyber attacks with a new-CUE-lure weapon.

That was for real but yes, its a joke that she suggested we invade Ebola. But a very believable joke! That's what makes it so funny.

Though occurs, ya know how our parents raised us with mantras like, "Don't hit your brother/sister." Now ebola (which spreads through touch) can be used as an additional deterrent, "Don't hit your brother/sister or you'll get ebola." :)

Am always dubious when governments warn us about diseases spread through physical contact. Governments benefits from conflict as their people grant their rulers more and more authority obstensibly to keep them safe. "Don't have too much sex or you'll get a disease" they say. "Don't touch other people or you'll get ebola" is the latest incarnation of this.

Forum List

Back