Door blows out during ground test on Boeing 777X jet

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I have loved Boeing for as long as I can remember but was disappointed to discover that the company doesn't always quite live up to it's own lofty standards.

With everything that is now coming out about the company which leans towards them having put profits ahead of safety, I guess it's time to face reality.

By
Dominic Gates
Seattle Times aerospace reporter

Boeing’s new widebody jet, the 777X, suffered a setback Thursday afternoon during a high-pressure stress test on the ground when one of the airplane’s cargo doors exploded outward.

One 777X employee working in a nearby bay at Boeing’s Everett plant said he heard “a loud boom and the ground shook.”

The accident happened to what’s called the “static test airplane,” one of the two airplanes in any new jet program that are built for ground testing only and will never fly. It was during the final test that must be passed as part of the airplane’s certification by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

The failure of the door will require careful analysis to find out why it happened, and it may mean Boeing will have to replace the door and repeat the test.

The 777X program is already delayed due to a problem with development of the GE-9X engine that will power it. In July, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg revealed on a quarterly earnings call that the first 777X intended to fly, which rolled out of the Everett factory in March, will not make it into the air until next year.

This ground test failure is another blow.

The static test plane is the one that is deliberately stressed well beyond the limits of normal service. The airplane is surrounded by a metal framework while weights passing through pulleys are fixed to the wings and other parts of the airframe.​

This is why we have to pay CEO's so much money. Why does he still have his job?

I have loved Boeing for as long as I can remember but was disappointed to discover that the company doesn't always quite live up to it's own lofty standards.

With everything that is now coming out about the company which leans towards them having put profits ahead of safety, I guess it's time to face reality.

By
Dominic Gates

Boeing’s new widebody jet, the 777X, suffered a setback Thursday afternoon during a high-pressure stress test on the ground when one of the airplane’s cargo doors exploded outward.

One 777X employee working in a nearby bay at Boeing’s Everett plant said he heard “a loud boom and the ground shook.”

The accident happened to what’s called the “static test airplane,” one of the two airplanes in any new jet program that are built for ground testing only and will never fly. It was during the final test that must be passed as part of the airplane’s certification by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

The failure of the door will require careful analysis to find out why it happened, and it may mean Boeing will have to replace the door and repeat the test.

The 777X program is already delayed due to a problem with development of the GE-9X engine that will power it. In July, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg revealed on a quarterly earnings call that the first 777X intended to fly, which rolled out of the Everett factory in March, will not make it into the air until next year.

The static test plane is the one that is deliberately stressed well beyond the limits of normal service. The airplane is surrounded by a metal framework while weights passing through pulleys are fixed to the wings and other parts of the airframe.​

Youre mad that they are testing their airplanes? :cuckoo:

By
Dominic Gates

No, I'm distressed that apparently in pursuit of profits and at the expense of safety Boeing authorized the tinkering with the basic aerodynamics of one of the most frequently flown aircraft in the industry, the 737 and then attempted to overcome the instability caused by the altered CG that they created with a defective software fix leading to the downing of two 737 MAX jets and the loss of hundreds of lives. All within a matter of a few months of one another.

The fact that a door blew off of a different one of their NEW aircraft while it was being stressed tested makes one wonder where ELSE they may have been attempting to cut corners to increase their profit margin, again at the expense of safety.

But then again this response comes from the same person who believes that steel & concrete sky scrappers simply "burn down".

By
Dominic Gates

No, I'm distressed that apparently in pursuit of profits and at the expense of safety Boeing authorized the tinkering with the basic aerodynamics of one of the most frequently flown aircraft in the industry, the 737 and then attempted to overcome the instability caused by the altered CG that they created with a defective software fix leading to the downing of two 737 MAX jets and the loss of hundreds of lives. All within a matter of a few months of one another.

The fact that a door blew off of a different one of their NEW aircraft while it was being stressed tested makes one wonder where ELSE they may have been attempting to cut corners to increase their profit margin, again at the expense of safety.

But then again this response comes from the same person who believes that steel & concrete sky scrappers simply "burn down".
They do testing specifically to see what works. Now they will go back to the drawing board and make some minor changes. Its merely part of the process of designing planes.

By
Dominic Gates

They do testing specifically to see what works. Now they will go back to the drawing board and make some minor changes. Its merely part of the process of designing planes.
They already know what works hence the millions of flights safety completed since the Wright brothers first took to the skies.

What they've done is tamper with a working design in an effort to make more money and their greed has cost people their lives if the transcripts coming out of the FAA hearings are accurate.

KEY FINDINGS
  • Mistakes began nearly a decade ago when Boeing was caught flat-footed after its archrival Airbus announced a new fuel-efficient plane that threatened the company’s core business. It rushed the competing 737 Max to market as quickly as possible.

• In developing the Max, Boeing not only cut corners, but it touted them as selling points for airlines. Since the 737 Max was the same plane type as its predecessors, pilots would only need a 2.5-hour iPad training to fly its newest iteration.

• MCAS is the new software system blamed for the deadly Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines crashes. But its failure in both crashes was the result of Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration’s reluctance to properly inform pilots of its existence or to regulate it for safety.

• The FAA has admitted to being incompetent when regulating software, and, as a policy, it allows plane manufacturers to police themselves for safety. Nowhere in its amended type certification of the 737 Max is MCAS mentioned.
  • Even still, Boeing only recommends a 30-minute self-study course for pilots on MCAS, rather than additional simulator or classroom instruction.

• Despite the two crashes, neither Boeing nor the FAA believes they’ve done anything wrong. A Boeing spokesperson said the company believes the system is still “a robust and effective way for the FAA to execute its oversight of safety.”
The many human errors that brought down the Boeing 737 Max

By
Dominic Gates

Not for a company no longer trusted to do the right thing.

By
Dominic Gates

They are trusted. People fly on their planes every day.

By
Dominic Gates

Well... It was a "test"... How else to you expect to get improvement besides coming up with something new, and testing it?

By
Dominic Gates

They are trusted. People fly on their planes every day.

Europe no longer trusts Boeing or the FAA.

Europe will not accept US verdict on 737 Max safety

Europe's tough stance is a blow to Boeing's hopes of a rapid return to service for the 737 Max, and is also a significant break with the established international practice of aviation regulators accepting each other's standards.

Guys this is why they test airplanes. So they blow on the ground, not in the air.

Here a small planes wings are being load tested during development.

Wing_Case19_Bags2-cropped.jpg

Thank God for Airbus and their quality. You evil no good Euro azzholes. How dare you build superior products designed and built by white guys with sensible quotas in quality control.

Guys this is why they test airplanes. So they blow on the ground, not in the air.

Here a small planes wings are being load tested during development.

Wing_Case19_Bags2-cropped.jpg
Can you think of any reason why they where unable to discover the flaw in the MCAS system while it was on the ground? Aside from the laughable 2.5 hours of training on an I-pad that Boeing recommended as sufficient training. Because from what I've heard and read about the incidents leading up to the two fatal MAX crashes is that no amount of training can compensate for a faulty sensor that kept the pilots from being able to wrest control away from the MCAS system that kept insisting on putting the plane into a dive while the pilots were attempting a climb-out on take-off.
Hell I have more time than that in a simulator and I'm not even close to being a pilot.

By
Dominic Gates

They already know what works hence the millions of flights safety completed since the Wright brothers first took to the skies.

What they've done is tamper with a working design in an effort to make more money and their greed has cost people their lives if the transcripts coming out of the FAA hearings are accurate.

KEY FINDINGS
  • Mistakes began nearly a decade ago when Boeing was caught flat-footed after its archrival Airbus announced a new fuel-efficient plane that threatened the company’s core business. It rushed the competing 737 Max to market as quickly as possible.

• In developing the Max, Boeing not only cut corners, but it touted them as selling points for airlines. Since the 737 Max was the same plane type as its predecessors, pilots would only need a 2.5-hour iPad training to fly its newest iteration.

• MCAS is the new software system blamed for the deadly Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines crashes. But its failure in both crashes was the result of Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration’s reluctance to properly inform pilots of its existence or to regulate it for safety.

• The FAA has admitted to being incompetent when regulating software, and, as a policy, it allows plane manufacturers to police themselves for safety. Nowhere in its amended type certification of the 737 Max is MCAS mentioned.
  • Even still, Boeing only recommends a 30-minute self-study course for pilots on MCAS, rather than additional simulator or classroom instruction.

• Despite the two crashes, neither Boeing nor the FAA believes they’ve done anything wrong. A Boeing spokesperson said the company believes the system is still “a robust and effective way for the FAA to execute its oversight of safety.”

Since when is the FAA responsible for foreign airlines?

Thank God for Airbus and their quality. You evil no good Euro azzholes. How dare you build superior products designed and built by white guys with sensible quotas in quality control.

If you think Airbus builds "quality" jets then you've never worked on them. And let me guess, you've never worked on them.

There is a reason they are known as "disposable jets" by mechanics. Boeing way overbuilds their jets. Airbus designs them for bare minimum safety margin. During testing Boeing dove the 727 through the speed of sound to test the airframe. Do that with an Airbus and you'll be picking up the pieces.

Boeing holds 5 of the top 7 spots for safest jets. And when you consider how many accidents are pilot caused....its even better.

Fear of Flying - Research - SOAR

That has to do with safety records, not quality. Funny, airlines are not running to Airbus, they are looking to older Boeing aircraft to replace the 737 max.

Older Boeing jets are now in hot demand because of the 737 Max grounding

Last edited:

By
Dominic Gates

KEY FINDINGS

"Since when is the FAA responsible for foreign airlines?"

The Boeing Company (/ˈboʊɪŋ/) is an American multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and sells airplanes, rotorcraft, rockets, satellites, telecommunications equipment, and missiles worldwide. ... Boeing was founded by William Boeing on July 15, 1916, in Seattle, Washington.
The FAA issues airworthiness directives and certification, among other functions to the aircraft manufacturer which in this case is Boeing. Transcripts indicate that Boeing & the FAA were in bed together whereby the FAA was allowing Boeing to conduct it's own tests.

Two airplanes crashing out of the millions of flights every year isn't all that significant. You're safer in a commercial airliner than you are in an automobile.

KEY FINDINGS

"Since when is the FAA responsible for foreign airlines?"

The Boeing Company (/ˈboʊɪŋ/) is an American multinational corporation that designs, manufactures, and sells airplanes, rotorcraft, rockets, satellites, telecommunications equipment, and missiles worldwide. ... Boeing was founded by William Boeing on July 15, 1916, in Seattle, Washington.
The FAA issues airworthiness directives and certification, among other functions to the aircraft manufacturer which in this case is Boeing. Transcripts indicate that Boeing & the FAA were in bed together whereby the FAA was allowing Boeing to conduct it's own tests.

You still did not answer the question. Why would we spend our tax dollars to certify aircraft and then have other countries have to do the same in their countries?

Where are these so-called transcripts that you conveniently failed to link?

The aircraft was fine. It was a software issue and human error.

Two airplanes crashing out of the millions of flights every year isn't all that significant. You're safer in a commercial airliner than you are in an automobile.
Even if you don't think so, I'm sure the loved ones of those who lost their lives in those two crashes feel otherwise.

Planes crash for a multitude of reasons, we know this, sometimes due to things over which no one has control such as unexpected weather incidents or catastrophic failure of a critical system. But they are not supposed to crash because the aircraft wrested away control from the pilots and deliberately put the plane into a death dive due to a false reading from one of its sensors.

You don't break something that works in order to squeeze a little more profit out of the design and then create a new [flawed] system to compensate for what you broke, yet that is exactly what Boeing did and what makes this whole thing so heinous.

Forum List

Back