"Don't thank me for my service."

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
"I do not want to appear disrespectful or ungrateful, but should we meet on the street one day, do say "Hello," or "Fine day" or other such nicety, but please do not thank me for "my service" as a United States Marine. I make this request because my service, as you refer to it, was basically, either to train to become a killer or to actually kill people and blow shit up.

Now, that is not something for which a person should be proud nor thanked. In fact, it is regrettable, and for me a source of guilt and shame, something I will have to live with for the rest of my life, as the past cannot ever be undone. So, when you thank me for my service, it disturbs me ... a lot. First off, it brings to mind my wasted youth and lost innocence, and the horrible and unnecessary deaths of good friends and comrades. Second, it reminds me of my responsibility and culpability for the pain and suffering I caused innocent people, again something I would rather forget, but cannot. Third, it reinforces my belief that you have absolutely no idea about the nature and reality of the wars in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, because if you did, you would understand that thanks are inappropriate. Fourth, it reminds me that many of those who feel the need to offer thanks were apathetic about - or even supportive of - the war, while they refuse to participate themselves or did little or nothing to end it. And lastly, I have to admit that I doubt the sincerity of these expressions of supposed gratitude, as "Thank you for your service" is just something to say not because you care about what I did or sacrificed, but only to demonstrate your supposed good character, or patriotism and/or "support" for members of the military and veterans."

much more here,
A Soldier s regret Don t Thank Me for My Service -- Society s Child -- Sott.net

My father was a combat veteran and he never voiced any guilt or shame about his service.

Indeed, though it was never voiced, probably because it was never questioned, as a member and at times leader in the VFW, he showed by his actions that he was proud of being a vet.

This man you are quoting is trying to use his service to give his political stance moral authority.

The fact that he was in Vietnam does not support his anti-corporate screed. His ideas must stand on their own merits.

Indeed, his attempt to gin up himself into an Authority to get his stance accepted, makes me LESS likely to listen to him.

"So, when you thank me for my service, it disturbs me ... a lot."

sad how disturbed this individual is, but most marines usually appreciate being thanked for their service.

one soldier's disturbed perspective won't change my approach to thanking soldiers for their service. :salute:

"So, when you thank me for my service, it disturbs me ... a lot."

sad how disturbed this individual is, but most marines usually appreciate being thanked for their service.

one soldier's disturbed perspective won't change my approach to thanking soldiers for their service. :salute:

Hardly the only one, googling

'veterans don't want to be thanked for their service'

1.25 million hits and numerous other examples come up.

Nobody can tell if you served in the Military unless you make a point of it. If you don't want to be "thanked" keep your mouth shut.

"I do not want to appear disrespectful or ungrateful, but should we meet on the street one day, do say "Hello," or "Fine day" or other such nicety, but please do not thank me for "my service" as a United States Marine. I make this request because my service, as you refer to it, was basically, either to train to become a killer or to actually kill people and blow shit up.

Now, that is not something for which a person should be proud nor thanked. In fact, it is regrettable, and for me a source of guilt and shame, something I will have to live with for the rest of my life, as the past cannot ever be undone. So, when you thank me for my service, it disturbs me ... a lot. First off, it brings to mind my wasted youth and lost innocence, and the horrible and unnecessary deaths of good friends and comrades. Second, it reminds me of my responsibility and culpability for the pain and suffering I caused innocent people, again something I would rather forget, but cannot. Third, it reinforces my belief that you have absolutely no idea about the nature and reality of the wars in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, because if you did, you would understand that thanks are inappropriate. Fourth, it reminds me that many of those who feel the need to offer thanks were apathetic about - or even supportive of - the war, while they refuse to participate themselves or did little or nothing to end it. And lastly, I have to admit that I doubt the sincerity of these expressions of supposed gratitude, as "Thank you for your service" is just something to say not because you care about what I did or sacrificed, but only to demonstrate your supposed good character, or patriotism and/or "support" for members of the military and veterans."

much more here,
A Soldier s regret Don t Thank Me for My Service -- Society s Child -- Sott.net

Is the guy a mind reader who thinks that he knows better at why a person thanks him for his service?
He has no clue what so ever how many people who thank him for his service, supports the many veterans service organizations or don't support them.
It's an insult to the millions of Americans who give their time and money for supporting our troops, regardless of their thoughts on supporting or not supporting some of these wars.

Liberals. Will always thank people for their service no matter which way they served, God Bless America

Forum List

Back