Tossed Between Marines and Army

Blades

Rookie
May 5, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am here to discuss the fact that I am stuck between enlisting to either the Marine Corps, or the Army. Below I will list the things that I have learned and what I have been interested in both, I just need some opinions to really help me co e to an ultimate decision. Keep in note that I am also just 16 years old but, "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail." The reason I am tossed between these two branches is because my brother is in the Army, a 68W stationed in Ft. Carson, Colorado, and has been trying to influence me to become a Soldier.

Now I know that him trying to influence me is biased due to the fact that he is in that branch, but he was also a Poolee in the USMC, but backed out and joined the Army instead. That decision actually pissed me off, you should never back down after signing to a branch. He blamed his resignation from the Corps due to the fact that your life is completely controlled and nothing can transition to the civilian life after you are finished with your service.

This is when I told him, it's not completely about what you do after your service, the difference is how you serve. Would you rather want to be called a Marine or a Soldier? The two terms mean different things indefinately, and have different connotations between different people. I also know that the Army promotion rates are higher, and the Marines expect more out of the recruits, but again you can do anything you put your mind to with proper preparation and dedication to doing what you want to do.

What I currently do is I workout by myself on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, while cooperating in PT at my local USMC Recruiting Office with the Poolees. I have talked to all of them on their decision, and talked to my recruiter about it. I also have kept contact with the Army recruiter located in my city too. I want to make the most educated decision that I can, the one that will make me happiest.

Now I know that the Marine Corps runs on the Fiscal Year Cycle, where more jobs open up in October, as one of the Poolees had told me. He signed in February so he didn't get his first option, but thats another story. The preferred field that I would want is Infantry. Being in that field would best suit me and thats why I would really prefer to get that, however I do know that the Corps will put you wherever they need you, and that kind of does worry me, but I would still serve my country no matter where I am placed.

As for the Army, if this was the route that I were to choose, I would choose my MOS to be 11B or 11X, although if I went this route, my brother would prefer me to go Ranger as that is what he is striving for. I know he shouldn't influence my decision, as it should solely be based on me and he will be proud with me no matter where I go, but again I want to ensure that I get choose the best Branch that suits me. I have read a ton of articles and discussions like this but I decided that if I posted one myself, I would feel so much better about what I have chosen. I am also not worried about my ASVAB score, as I took one last year and received a score of 91.

If there are any questions you have for me to answer, I will be monitoring this thread often to check on it and help my decision. Thank you for your time/cooperation and I really appreciate it.

If thinking about life after military service I'd advise against enlisting. Military isn't a means to an end but a calling. If going in for anything afterwords they'll probably spot that at boot and wash you out along with all the GI Bill guys.

If thinking about life after military service I'd advise against enlisting. Military isn't a means to an end but a calling. If going in for anything afterwords they'll probably spot that at boot and wash you out along with all the GI Bill guys.

I'm not planning to go in for things afterwards, my brother wants me to go into the Army for that reason. I plan to serve as long as I can.

Hello everyone,

I am here to discuss the fact that I am stuck between enlisting to either the Marine Corps, or the Army. Below I will list the things that I have learned and what I have been interested in both, I just need some opinions to really help me co e to an ultimate decision. Keep in note that I am also just 16 years old but, "If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail." The reason I am tossed between these two branches is because my brother is in the Army, a 68W stationed in Ft. Carson, Colorado, and has been trying to influence me to become a Soldier.

Now I know that him trying to influence me is biased due to the fact that he is in that branch, but he was also a Poolee in the USMC, but backed out and joined the Army instead. That decision actually pissed me off, you should never back down after signing to a branch. He blamed his resignation from the Corps due to the fact that your life is completely controlled and nothing can transition to the civilian life after you are finished with your service.

This is when I told him, it's not completely about what you do after your service, the difference is how you serve. Would you rather want to be called a Marine or a Soldier? The two terms mean different things indefinately, and have different connotations between different people. I also know that the Army promotion rates are higher, and the Marines expect more out of the recruits, but again you can do anything you put your mind to with proper preparation and dedication to doing what you want to do.

What I currently do is I workout by myself on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, while cooperating in PT at my local USMC Recruiting Office with the Poolees. I have talked to all of them on their decision, and talked to my recruiter about it. I also have kept contact with the Army recruiter located in my city too. I want to make the most educated decision that I can, the one that will make me happiest.

Now I know that the Marine Corps runs on the Fiscal Year Cycle, where more jobs open up in October, as one of the Poolees had told me. He signed in February so he didn't get his first option, but thats another story. The preferred field that I would want is Infantry. Being in that field would best suit me and thats why I would really prefer to get that, however I do know that the Corps will put you wherever they need you, and that kind of does worry me, but I would still serve my country no matter where I am placed.

As for the Army, if this was the route that I were to choose, I would choose my MOS to be 11B or 11X, although if I went this route, my brother would prefer me to go Ranger as that is what he is striving for. I know he shouldn't influence my decision, as it should solely be based on me and he will be proud with me no matter where I go, but again I want to ensure that I get choose the best Branch that suits me. I have read a ton of articles and discussions like this but I decided that if I posted one myself, I would feel so much better about what I have chosen. I am also not worried about my ASVAB score, as I took one last year and received a score of 91.

If there are any questions you have for me to answer, I will be monitoring this thread often to check on it and help my decision. Thank you for your time/cooperation and I really appreciate it.

The Army has more money, better facilities, more opportunity for career advancement, more bases at which to be stationed, better gear, more women, and more diverse jobs to do.

I served in the USMC because Marines are the baddest motherfuckers around. Just having it on your resume opens opportunities after you get out. But you better know that being a Marine means enjoying suffering, everyday. And that makes you tough physically and mentally. You get out of it what you put in.

Personally, if you're good enough, join the Air Force and become an astronaut.

Do yourself a favor.

Finish high school, go to college and then go in as an officer.

In the Marines, you have to be ghey with the Navy. The Army, you just get to be ghey with yourself....The Air Force, it's all ghey women now, so stay away from there if you be a ghey man...The Coast Guard, we are not allowed to post what they do...

Something your recruiter isn't likely to tell you is the military exists for one thing: killing other human beings. When the country can't get its' way through diplomacy or business, often enough it sends in the military to get its' way. Some of the harshest foreign policy critics were combat-deployed Marines and soldiers. You're not going to be defending liberty and freedom against commies and other bad guys. You're going to be killing civilians to secure oil and other resources for some corporation. That's the naked reality of it. So you need to decide if your mental landscape is going to be okay with those memories every night for the rest of your life, or if it's going to be a problem for you.

US military hasn't been about protecting the American public for a long time. It's now an extension of the defense contractors who're in defacto control of the military. Can use all the flowery rhetoric and language to try and convince yourself it's about Moms and apple pies but it isn't as you'll realize in short order.

Do yourself a favor and visit a VA hospital and talk to wounded soldiers and Marines and ask them about their service and ask if they have any regrets. Statistically, that's very likely you after a combat deployment.

Something your recruiter isn't likely to tell you is the military exists for one thing: killing other human beings. When the country can't get its' way through diplomacy or business, often enough it sends in the military to get its' way. Some of the harshest foreign policy critics were combat-deployed Marines and soldiers. You're not going to be defending liberty and freedom against commies and other bad guys. You're going to be killing civilians to secure oil and other resources for some corporation. That's the naked reality of it. So you need to decide if your mental landscape is going to be okay with those memories every night for the rest of your life, or if it's going to be a problem for you.

US military hasn't been about protecting the American public for a long time. It's now an extension of the defense contractors who're in defacto control of the military. Can use all the flowery rhetoric and language to try and convince yourself it's about Moms and apple pies but it isn't as you'll realize in short order.

Do yourself a favor and visit a VA hospital and talk to wounded soldiers and Marines and ask them about their service and ask if they have any regrets. Statistically, that's very likely you after a combat deployment.
I never killed anything but a bottle of Schnapps and a bag of weed..I either fixed crap or typed award letters...

I never killed anything but a bottle of Schnapps and a bag of weed..I either fixed crap or typed award letters...

All jobs in the military either directly kill, or by way of supporting role, assist in killing. Don't need to be the one who pulls the trigger to be charged with murder in civilian life. No different ethicly in the military.

All jobs in the military either directly kill, or by way of supporting role, assist in killing. Don't need to be the one who pulls the trigger to be charged with murder in civilian life. No different ethicly in the military.
Ah, it's all in a day's work....Just another job to me, no worse than being told to kill the team when playing football..

Do yourself a favor.

The pay is much better...

Everything is better. The living conditions, the food, the recreational activites, the women. And most importantly, the job itself. When was the last time you saw an officers scrubbing a toilet?
I used the pay for hookers and blow, so that's all I cared about...

In the Marines, you have to be ghey with the Navy. The Army, you just get to be ghey with yourself....The Air Force, it's all ghey women now, so stay away from there if you be a ghey man...The Coast Guard, we are not allowed to post what they do...

US Coast Guard saves people's lives. US Armed Forces take people's lives.

But then again if we had no military, we would probably be worshipping someone forcefully and etc. Someone has to get the job done and I have no problem with that being me.

Do yourself a favor.

But aren't you in debt from going to college. Well shit I can answer that myself, not if you budget properly.
Hello everyone,

The Army has more money, better facilities, more opportunity for career advancement, more bases at which to be stationed, better gear, more women, and more diverse jobs to do.

I served in the USMC because Marines are the baddest motherfuckers around. Just having it on your resume opens opportunities after you get out. But you better know that being a Marine means enjoying suffering, everyday. And that makes you tough physically and mentally. You get out of it what you put in.

In my opinion, suffering is apart of life, and if you go through it with your other devildogs, you wouldn't trade it for the world. Being a Marine, just that word, is so honored to have possessed and that is what leans me towards there but I am still unsure. Another difference is that the Marines to the left and right of you WANT TO BE MARINES. Those are the people who are dedicated so much to what they do and that is what makes that brotherhood so elite. It isnt about the benefits, you could have chosen any branch that has better benefits, better promotion rates, but instead you chose the Marine Corps because that is believed to be the most prestigious branch in the United States

Something else to keep in mind and think about is before you enlist, everyone at the recruiting office likes you a lot. So's your government. You're a potential asset. Once you enlist, you've liked even better. You ARE an asset. They'll bend over backwards for you. But if you get injured and can't do your job any more you're forgotten about. A liability and an expense. They'll screw you with your pants on if it saves them a buck. Long waits to get VA care, former military but now civilian your service wont mean shit to anyone except you. That again is the reality. That something you're going to be ok with, go ahead and join. But to most people serving a country that doesn't care about you once you're not an effective weapon any more is akin to the NFL not caring about concussive injuries and injured players who can't play any more making their owners money.

Life's sweet in the military while you're actually in the military. Once you're out it basicly sucks. Hate dating myself remembering bad movie dialogue, but as said in "Rambo," "I was in charge of multi-million dollar equipment. Now I can't even get a job parking cars!"

But then again if we had no military, we would probably be worshipping someone forcefully and etc. Someone has to get the job done and I have no problem with that being me.

Do yourself a favor.

But aren't you in debt from going to college. Well shit I can answer that myself, not if you budget properly.
Hello everyone,

In my opinion, suffering is apart of life, and if you go through it with your other devildogs, you wouldn't trade it for the world. Being a Marine, just that word, is so honored to have possessed and that is what leans me towards there but I am still unsure. Another difference is that the Marines to the left and right of you WANT TO BE MARINES. Those are the people who are dedicated so much to what they do and that is what makes that brotherhood so elite. It isnt about the benefits, you could have chosen any branch that has better benefits, better promotion rates, but instead you chose the Marine Corps because that is believed to be the most prestigious branch in the United States
The correct nomenclature is Jar Head...

Something else to keep in mind and think about is before you enlist, everyone at the recruiting office likes you a lot. So's your government. You're a potential asset. Once you enlist, you've liked even better. You ARE an asset. They'll bend over backwards for you. But if you get injured and can't do your job any more you're forgotten about. A liability and an expense. They'll screw you with your pants on if it saves them a buck. Long waits to get VA care, former military but now civilian your service wont mean shit to anyone except you. That again is the reality. That something you're going to be ok with, go ahead and join. But to most people serving a country that doesn't care about you once you're not an effective weapon any more is akin to the NFL not caring about concussive injuries and injured players who can't play any more making their owners money.

Life's sweet in the military while you're actually in the military. Once you're out it basicly sucks. Hate dating myself remembering bad movie dialogue, but as said in "Rambo," "I was in charge of multi-million dollar equipment. Now I can't even get a job parking cars!"
In my city you see vets all the time, reminiscing on the days. Its not about what others think of you, its what you do for yourself.

In my city you see vets all the time, reminiscing on the days. Its not about what others think of you, its what you do for yourself.

If you wanna do things for yourself, go to college. Military isn't about yourself or your best interests. It's about keeping rich people rich and in power.

Forum List

Back