'don't Impose Your Values' Argument Is Bigotry In Disguise

DaTroof said:
"Has some of aj's anti christian paranoia rubbed off on you?"

Not at all. I went to Jewish private school so we had prayers twice a day. That was my families perogitive. I would not expect the good taxpayers of this country to support my values with their money. I understand that it's just God in general that we are speaking of, but there are people that don't even believe in that, and really, that should make no difference. They should not have their tax dollars going to an instituation that supports a belief that they do not have. How do you think athiests feel about religious institutions that pull in millions a year and are run like a corporation enjoying tax exempt status while the athiest has to bust his butt to meet corporate taxes ?! It's just so much easier to leave state and religion seperate .. not like now. You still haven't explained to me why it is OK to sell alcohol on my sabbath and not Christianity's. You also haven't really presented any argument against Christianity being a very prostelatizing religion. So I'm not paranoid, state and religion mixing is just a very slippery slope which the US should not even be standing near. I realize that the founding fathers refered to God plenty, but maybe we should leave that in the past. I'm not saying that religions shouldn't be active. I think they are, in general, a positive influence in peoples' lives. Like I said .. just not state sponsored time and dollar.

So what constitutes state dollared and funded?

Merlin said:
I think the problem is that most Christians (I'm guilty too) think that Christianity is the only religion on earth and that the rest of the religions are an intrusion, a nuisance, ignorant, and hell bound. That is the way I was taught and that is the way we taught our children and now our grandkids. I was also taught that the United States was founded by breaking away from England in order to set up a Christian country and there wasn't any other religions to even consider. I'm by no means a Bible expert and don't profess to be able to interpret it correctly, but that is my interpretation.

Incorrect, most Christians do not think it's the only religion on the planet, it is however the most practiced religion in the U.S. and as such it should not be persecuted by the minority of others. Religious tolerance extends to all faiths, not just one or the other. But doing away with all public traces of religion to appease a handful is absolutely wrong.

Bonnie said:
Incorrect, most Christians do not think it's the only religion on the planet, it is however the most practiced religion in the U.S. and as such it should not be persecuted by the minority of others. Religious tolerance extends to all faiths, not just one or the other. But doing away with all public traces of religion to appease a handful is absolutely wrong.

I'm beginning to think merlin is one of those fake conservatives, here to serve the dual purpose of spouting lib versions of what conservatives are, and hammer the paleocon doctrines of global nonintervention, which are outdated.

I was clued in by his inexplicable irritation at giving lincoln too much credit for the emancipation proclamation.

I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm beginning to think merlin is one of those fake conservatives, here to serve the dual purpose of spouting lib versions of what conservatives are, and hammer the paleocon doctrines of global nonintervention, which are outdated.

I was clued in by his inexplicable irritation at giving lincoln too much credit for the emancipation proclamation.

I could be wrong. But I don't think so.

I know so. Pick out the most conservative person in the world and multiply it by about one million times and you have my views. As for Mr. Lincoln, I haven't taken anything away at all from this great man. He did indeed write and issue The Emancipation Proclamation on Jan. 1,1863.

Merlin said:
I know so. Pick out the most conservative person in the world and multiply it by about one million times and you have my views. As for Mr. Lincoln, I haven't taken anything away at all from this great man. He did indeed write and issue The Emancipation Proclamation on Jan. 1,1863.

We'll see. You're on the watchlist.
:thup:

rtwngAvngr said:
Being against harmless quiet time for fear of christians praying privately to themselves makes you a nazi.

I've seen a lot of squawking on this board about the liberal "agenda". There is also a Christian "agenda" to convert as many people to christianity as possible, inject christian beliefs into everyones lives, and to impose christian morals on everyone. Try to deny it.

Also, resorting to name calling instead of answering questions would seem to indicate that you lack the intellectual fortitude to carry an argument. Either that, or it's just because you have no valid argument.

I have no problem with the word god being in the Pledge of Allegiance, or with references to Christmas, or with 10 Commandment statues at courthouses, or with nativity scenes. These all have historical significance and are steeped in tradition. I think the ACLU and their ilk need to find more constructive ways to use their resources.

I do have a problem with those who would force feed everyone their religion and will continue to speak out against it.

MissileMan said:
I've seen a lot of squawking on this board about the liberal "agenda". There is also a Christian "agenda" to convert as many people to christianity as possible, inject christian beliefs into everyones lives, and to impose christian morals on everyone. Try to deny it.
I deny it.
Also, resorting to name calling instead of answering questions would seem to indicate that you lack the intellectual fortitude to carry an argument. Either that, or it's just because you have no valid argument.
Dude, you're an anti religious zealot. This country is tolerant of religion.
I have no problem with the word god being in the Pledge of Allegiance, or with references to Christmas, or with 10 Commandment statues at courthouses, or with nativity scenes. These all have historical significance and are steeped in tradition. I think the ACLU and their ilk need to find more constructive ways to use their resources.
We agree here.
I do have a problem with those who would force feed everyone their religion and will continue to speak out against it.

So do i.

A moment of silence is not forcing religion. I am opposed to outright prayer in schools.

rtwngAvngr said:
I deny it.

Then explain the motivation to convert recipients of christian aid instead of offering help with no-strings. And justify trying to get "Intelligent Design" added to public school curriculum. And let's not forget the christian crusade against homosexuals.

rtwngAvngr said:
Dude, you're an anti religious zealot. This country is tolerant of religion.
Again with the name calling...you just made my argument for me. Calling me a zealot because I disagree with you...are you a prime example of a "tolerant" christian? That's how you react to someone who denies the existence of god, I can only wonder how much "tolerance" you have for someone who worships a different god. It must be inestimable.

You have dodged the question, "Why can't your kids pray before going to school?" four times now....care to make it five?

MissileMan said:
Then explain the motivation to convert recipients of christian aid instead of offering help with no-strings. And justify trying to get "Intelligent Design" added to public school curriculum. And let's not forget the christian crusade against homosexuals.

Again with the name calling...you just made my argument for me. Calling me a zealot because I disagree with you...are you a prime example of a "tolerant" christian? That's how you react to someone who denies the existence of god, I can only wonder how much "tolerance" you have for someone who worships a different god. It must be inestimable.

You have dodged the question, "Why can't your kids pray before going to school?" four times now....care to make it five?

I'm not down with all that.

You have dodged a question as well:

What's wrong with a moment of silence?

rtwngAvngr said:
I'm not down with all that.

You have dodged a question as well:

What's wrong with a moment of silence?

I've already posted my objection to a moment of silence...care to make it six?

MissileMan said:
I've already posted my objection to a moment of silence...care to make it six?

You think the teachers will wink or something? Was that it?

MissileMan said:
Six it is!

We agree on many points you stated previously, but I must also say everyone has free will and no one can make anyone do anything. Christians can try to convert all they want, you have the choice to listen or walk away just as with any other choice you make in life! Why the papranoia over some crazy christian agenda you think exist? If anything you should be more concerned with the liberal secualrist agenda that IS being forced down all of our throats!!!! Which is why chritians are so up in arms finally, they have had enough intolerance from the so called tolerant groups!!!!!!!1

MissileMan said:

Oh no... Christians are trying to make other Christians!!! The horror!!!

So you think it's unethical to tell people about your religious beliefs? That's what Christians do - and are called to do. Are you that afraid of hearing Christian beliefs?

gop_jeff said:

So you think it's unethical to tell people about your religious beliefs? That's what Christians do - and are called to do. Are you that afraid of hearing Christian beliefs?

It may be Jeff that secularists are afraid of the truth? Be flattered they are so afraid of us!! Be worried about what they are trying to do about it!!

gop_jeff said:

I have heard christian beliefs and find most of them incredible. Having no interest in hearing and fear are two different things. I am not afraid of christian beliefs, but the way some of the zealous act on those beliefs is down-right frightening.

MissileMan said:
I have heard christian beliefs and find most of them incredible. Having no interest in hearing and fear are two different things. I am not afraid of christian beliefs, but the way some of the zealous act on those beliefs is down-right frightening.

So your basing your bigotry( excuse me fear) of all christians on a handful of kooks?? How open minded of you!! Unbeleivable!!

rtwngAvngr said:
I thinks your fear of silence needs much more explaining than anything I have said, yanker.
Well let's see. Nazi, anti-religious zealot, and now yanker. I do understand why you have to resort to this. Your position is so indefensible that you can't propose a logical argument and have to duck the questions and try to change the subject. I'll extend the opportunity for you again to show why you are the pride of your 3rd grade class. Please answer the question, "Why can't your kids pray before they go to school?"

Forum List

Back