Don’t discriminate against tenants with criminal records, N.J. warns 30 landlords

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Authorities have put 30 landlords across New Jersey on notice that they’re running afoul of a landmark law barring housing providers from asking about criminal history on applications in most cases, the state’s acting attorney general said Thursday.

The Fair Chance in Housing Act, which Gov. Phil Murphy signed last year, prohibits landlords from asking about criminal history on an application or in an interview before giving the prospective tenant a conditional offer. They are allowed to run background checks after that offer is made, but must explain in writing the specific reason they are rejecting the applicant.

The state Division on Civil Rights sent notices of violation to the 30 landlords, who are accused of keeping questions about criminal history on their applications after the law took effect this year, or explicitly stating in their advertisements that applicants with criminal histories would be rejected.

Don’t discriminate against tenants with criminal records, N.J. warns 30 landlords

From what i understand especially if the criminal is a pedophile,, big push in NJ to coddle pedophile child rapists right now. The more brutal and younger the victim the more coddling. NJ is a leftist shithole.

How does this bullshit help people with children, who want to avoid being neighbors with Child Molesters?

You use the extreme example. In most cases the community is aware of a pedo being in the area.

Look at it another way, putting aside the creeps for a moment as there are all other kinds of criminals, where is a former criminal supposed to live if no one will rent out a place to them? At what point does someone pay their debt to society?

You use the extreme example. In most cases the community is aware of a pedo being in the area.

Look at it another way, putting aside the creeps for a moment as there are all other kinds of criminals, where is a former criminal supposed to live if no one will rent out a place to them? At what point does someone pay their debt to society?
Evidently when they pass a credit check.

Evidently when they pass a credit check.

The issue to me in regards to justice is that someone gets caught up in something, they do their time, change their lives for the better and what does society say?

Denied work, denied a place to live, denied other freedoms for the rest of their lives. How does ANYONE believe some who normally wouldn't re-offend, often do.

Hypocrisy to me is a horrible trait, and there are FAR too many psychos in position of power who don't pay a nickel of restitution for their actions, while others pay for the rest of their lives to support a Security Industrial Complex.

There are bad, even evil people who by choice are career criminals, there should be a distinction between them and others. Especially as justice is often very much a shade of grey.

Authorities have put 30 landlords across New Jersey on notice that they’re running afoul of a landmark law barring housing providers from asking about criminal history on applications in most cases, the state’s acting attorney general said Thursday.

The Fair Chance in Housing Act, which Gov. Phil Murphy signed last year, prohibits landlords from asking about criminal history on an application or in an interview before giving the prospective tenant a conditional offer. They are allowed to run background checks after that offer is made, but must explain in writing the specific reason they are rejecting the applicant.

The state Division on Civil Rights sent notices of violation to the 30 landlords, who are accused of keeping questions about criminal history on their applications after the law took effect this year, or explicitly stating in their advertisements that applicants with criminal histories would be rejected.

From what i understand especially if the criminal is a pedophile,, big push in NJ to coddle pedophile child rapists right now. The more brutal and younger the victim the more coddling. NJ is a leftist shithole.

So just check the local public records yourself and see if they have been convicted of anything instead of asking them if it is important to you.

So just check the local public records yourself and see if they have been convicted of anything instead of asking them if it is important to you.
The new law prohibits landlords from asking about criminal history on an application or in an interview before giving the prospective tenant a conditional offer.

The whole point to me is who is the state to tell a landlord to whom they can rent their property to?

Back when I had rentals I had a prospective renter tell me I needed to provide him with all kinds of disability related crap and I told him nope and to look elsewhere.....I'll rent to whom I want....Your problems are not my problems.

Last edited:
According to a NJ member on the site this was posted on protecting kiddy diddlers was the main thrust of the new law.

2nd hand info though.

I would hope that isn't the reason for the law, but as a more general consideration.

Diddlers are a special case as the public has to protect it's most vulnerable since they don't have the capacity to protect themselves.

It's a tough situation for sure. I don't have the answer for the diddlers as I have a personal deep hatred of such people which doesn't allow me to be objective on the issue. However, for other criminals who aren't going after the vulnerable and have paid their dues, they should have the opportunity to change paths, no?

How does this bullshit help people with children, who want to avoid being neighbors with Child Molesters?

It doesn't. But you can still look them up on a registry to see where they live.

New Jersey State Police OffenderWatch® sex offender management, mapping and email alert program

East Orange NJ 07017 has the highest number of sex offenders in that state. There are websites that show on a map where they are...

Neighborhood Watch Sex Offender Map | CriminalWatchDog

SO.jpg

wow, NJ has a lot of sex offenders

I live in a small town of about 5k people, 63 miles from Madison, WI. Sometimes the state sends some of them out here in the rural tows to live, for some reason. I counted about 70 of them within a 20 mile radius.

The capitol city of Madison, Wisconsin is a liberal shithole...

Madison SO.jpg

Milwaukee is even worse..

Milwaukee SO.jpg

Last edited:
The issue to me in regards to justice is that someone gets caught up in something, they do their time, change their lives for the better and what does society say?

Denied work, denied a place to live, denied other freedoms for the rest of their lives. How does ANYONE believe some who normally wouldn't re-offend, often do.

Hypocrisy to me is a horrible trait, and there are FAR too many psychos in position of power who don't pay a nickel of restitution for their actions, while others pay for the rest of their lives to support a Security Industrial Complex.

There are bad, even evil people who by choice are career criminals, there should be a distinction between them and others. Especially as justice is often very much a shade of grey.

Trust is easy to lose and hard to earn back ... And going to the lock-up won't earn that back for the offender.
They owed a debt for the crime they were convicted of ... That doesn't mean anyone has to ignore what they did.

The Fair Housing Act was also a disaster in as it caused lending facilities to assume the same burdens and treat people with an unsupported fairness.
All that did was promote piles of bad paper in loans, the banks and investments companies passed around to each other ...
Until they could no longer support the lie and the Housing and Lending markets collapsed.

I am personally not for holding someone down ... But that is because I may be willing to take that risk.
There is no way I would attempt to force that risk on another person.

According to a NJ member on the site this was posted on protecting kiddy diddlers was the main thrust of the new law.

2nd hand info though.
I hear recidivism is pretty high among kiddy diddler. I would not want them in an apartment building I owned or managed. I would rather have normal people. If the normal people in the building found out, they might move out, as nothing says they have to live across the hall from a convicted child sex perv.

I hear recidivism is pretty high among kiddy diddler. I would not want them in an apartment building I owned or managed. I would rather have normal people. If the normal people in the building found out, they might move out, as nothing says they have to live across the hall from a convicted child sex perv.
Kiddy diddlers are never really "reformed" they need to be gelded.

I live in a small town of about 5k people, 63 miles from Madison, WI. Sometimes the state sends some of them out here in the rural tows to live, for some reason. I counted about 70 of them within a 20 mile radius.

The capitol city of Madison, Wisconsin is a liberal shithole...

View attachment 687093

Milwaukee is even worse..

View attachment 687098

I just used that site and pulled up the closest town to where I live, did a 20-mile radius check ... And there are only three flags on the map.
Looking at where the flags are ... Everyone knows who they are anyway, and at least it is up to date ... :auiqs.jpg:

I just used that site and pulled up the closest town to where I live, did a 20-mile radius check ... And there are only three flags on the map.
Looking at where the flags are ... Everyone knows who they are anyway, and at least it is up to date ... :auiqs.jpg:

You and Galt, took me by surprise. Nobody thinks of your state like that, but you're the number 3 state in the country for sex offenders.

You and Galt, took me by surprise. Nobody thinks of your state like that, but you're the number 3 state in the country for sex offenders.

Well actually, my state is not even in the top 10 although I wouldn't be surprised where it falls in any case.
The site JGalt linked will allow you to put any street, city or state in it and can do up to a 20-mile radius search.

I wouldn't even brag about the low number in my 20-mile radius ... There might be more deer and cows, than people in that zone.
If you search the large Metro Area about 30 miles north ... That sucker looks like a Christmas tree with double strands of lights ... :auiqs.jpg:

Well actually, my state is not even in the top 10 although I wouldn't be surprised where it falls in any case.
The site JGalt linked will allow you to put any street, city or state in it and can do up to a 20-mile radius search.

I wouldn't even brag about the low number in my 20-mile radius ... There might be more deer and cows, than people in that zone.
If you search the large Metro Area about 30 miles north ... That sucker looks like a Christmas tree with double strands of lights ... :auiqs.jpg:

Sounds like you picked a great place to live. I thought you were both talking as residents of Wisconsin.

Forum List

Back