Don’t discriminate against tenants with criminal records, N.J. warns 30 landlords

The new law prohibits landlords from asking about criminal history on an application or in an interview before giving the prospective tenant a conditional offer.

The whole point to me is who is the state to tell a landlord to whom they can rent their property to?

Back when I had rentals I had a prospective renter tell me I needed to provide him with all kinds of disability related crap and I told him nope and to look elsewhere.....I'll rent to whom I want....Your problems are not my problems.

I just look online at the civil and criminal indexes for the city and surrounding county. Some of my out of state inherited properties I have a management company take care of. My local stuff I seldom list publicly any more because they have gotten a tad too aggressive with discrimination claims. Unless you can prove you are offering it in first come first served order, if a black person applies and doesn't get it, then you could be pursued under equal housing. They have fake white and black applicants and routinely test landlords. I mainly rely on word of mouth to find tenants be it the exiting tenants, friends, neighbors. I am unwinding myself of residential real estate though to bankroll the getting the whippersnappers through college in a few years thing so I really don't even care if it sits empty these days. My plan is to do it first, then the commercial stuff I have, and then sit my ass in a rocking chair. I will keep the property I inherited and pass it onto to the next generation in the family. The stuff I bought is going to be liquidated other than my house.

The issue to me in regards to justice is that someone gets caught up in something, they do their time, change their lives for the better and what does society say?

Denied work, denied a place to live, denied other freedoms for the rest of their lives. How does ANYONE believe some who normally wouldn't re-offend, often do.

Hypocrisy to me is a horrible trait, and there are FAR too many psychos in position of power who don't pay a nickel of restitution for their actions, while others pay for the rest of their lives to support a Security Industrial Complex.

There are bad, even evil people who by choice are career criminals, there should be a distinction between them and others. Especially as justice is often very much a shade of grey.
If you are saying what I think you are saying, I second this. When a person serves out whatever sentence is given to them, re-entering society is what is supposed to happen and if landlords are desperate enough for a rent check and if businesses are in bad enough need of new employees, they will let anyone fill in the empty blanks.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back