Does the pell grant increase from the stimulus affect the 2008-2009 school year?

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
My nephew receives pell grant, and I know that the stimulus increases the pell grant limits by $500, as it stands now. I keep reading mixed articles, some saying it increases next year, some saying it increases this year. Does anyone know for sure?

It also says the amount of Stafford loans will increase by $2,000? Does that affect this year as well?

•School districts can expect $11.5 billion in additional special-education funding through the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act and $10 billion in new money for serving disadvantaged students. For low-income college students, there’s an increase in the maximum Pell Grant of $281 per pupil in 2009-10 and $400 in 2010-11.
(Note Specter's face in this pic -- he's thinking what song he wants played as his political coffin is lowered into the ground next year)

Accord reached on final stimulus bill: $789 billion for 3.5 million jobs | csmonitor.com

Haven't seen anything specific on Stafford loans pertaining to a timeframe but if Pell Grants are scheduled to increase this year, one would assume that the Stafford Loans would too. I'll find out soon enough, as I just submitted our FAFSA for 2009/2010 for our daughter.

Last edited:
Of course the argument can be made that PELL grants are responsible for the dramtic increases in the cost of higher education, too.

I'm not making it, but you are ALL AWARE, aren't you, that the only class of activity in our economy that has risen MORE THAN HEALTH CARE is education.

Per usual, I must popint out that anytime you have a government paying INTO a basically CAPITALIST system, the cost of whatever that system provides WILL INCREASE to absorb the additionally money.

Now had I BEEN designing this part of the STIMULUS, I might have built more colleges or increased the number of seats, or increased the salaries of the professors to encourage a greater SUPPLY of EDUCATION instead of merely STIMULATING THE DEMAND FOR education.

But hey, that's just me.

Of course the argument can be made that PELL grants are responsible for the dramtic increases in the cost of higher education, too.

I'm not making it, but you are ALL AWARE, aren't you, that the only class of activity in our economy that has risen MORE THAN HEALTH CARE is education.

Per usual, I must popint out that anytime you have a government paying INTO a basically CAPITALIST system, the cost of whatever that system provides WILL INCREASE to absorb the additionally money.

Now had I BEEN designing this part of the STIMULUS, I might have built more colleges or increased the number of seats, or increased the salaries of the professors to encourage a greater SUPPLY of EDUCATION instead of merely STIMULATING THE DEMAND FOR education.

But hey, that's just me.

Yep, the stimulus is going to be way more expensive than it appears.

Forum List

Back