what if?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
September 1, 1939. In addition to France and Britain, the US also declares war on Germany for their invasion of Poland. Is France taken? (along with other nations) Is Barbarossa (Germany turns on Russia) ever carried out? etc etc etc.

Interesting question.

I suspect that the brownshoe army wasn't ready to help much and that the Hun would have kicked Britian and France's asses at first.

But I doubt that the Vichey government would have been formed, and I also doubt that the Germans would have been stupid enough to declare war on the Soviet union a few years later, too.

They'd have been too busy dealing with a more aggressive threat coming at them from the Western front to make that mistake.

The US didn't have an army to do something in the first years, so in the first years it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

It is possible that Germany may have continued the cooperation with the Soviet Union (that started with the invasion of poland) and never would have attacked the Soviets.

I think it would probably have been a more a disadvantage then an advantage because the US wasn't ready for land-war and because Germany would not have the SU as an enemy but as an "ally" (the allied forces struggled more then enough with the support of the Soviets to defeat the Germans, so even the defeat of the allies is possible as a result of this).

Last edited:
France would still fall, it's unlikely Germany would turn on Russia in such a scenario.

It's more likely Germany would concentrate on strategic weapon development to try and hit the uSA while devoting more effort to naval matters.

Forum List

Back