Does the GOP have an identity?

Super_Lantern

VIP Member
Jun 2, 2013
What do you think? I've discussed this in a few threads lately. I don't think the GOP has a clear unified message. I'm not sure it *can have one or needs one either.

*Possible 2016 nominees demonstrate this. Jeb Bush/Christie represent a type of conservative. Ted Cruz represents a different type of conservative. Rand Paul represents right-leaning libertarians perhaps disenfranchised with Democrats and willing to vote GOP. You can keep going on and on. The GOP contains so many varying levels of conservatism and ideology, I don't feel it really can have a uniform identity

The republican party's unified ideology is corporatism, an odd sort of corporatism with the additional add-ons of anti freedoms and anti regulations. Think Unions, abortion, gun control, global warming, immigration, welfare, healthcare, and you'll quickly find they all follow the pied pipers of K street, big oil, the NRA, and religious fundamentalism. When they stray from the piper's tune, they quickly apologize and are often castigated for having an alien thought.

Check out John Ralston Saul's 'the Unconscious Civilization' for an excellent interpretation of today's politics - on all sides of the fence.

The GOP identity is tied to Obama. They take their lead from Obama.

"What's Obama up to? We're against it." That's the GOP identity.

Does the GOP have an identity?

Yes - Old, White, Cranky, Racist, Blind, Nutty, and Immoral. Besides that lovely people.

As opposed to Young, Black, Angry, Racist, Illiterate, Gullible and Criminal?
You left out gay, emotional, touchy feely, wimpy, unsure, needy and dependent.
And the case in point logs in.
And nailed your pathetic ass.
LOL! No my old friend, but I appreciate your dogma anyway.

The GOP is against golf and Christmas trees and state visits to Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Oh, and Muslims and homosexuals and blacks and Mexicans. But that goes without saying.

The GOP identity is tied to Obama. They take their lead from Obama.

"What's Obama up to? We're against it." That's the GOP identity.

Yeah. McConnell promised adult governance, but Obama wasn't gonna let them toss off the immigration tar baby. It's not in the dems interest to allow the gop to be seen as a rational party that can govern, but given the TPM, that image may be a total illusion. Not that the dems are great shakes either, but there are degrees of irrationality. We really haven't had any functional govt since 2003 and the Iraq Invasion. Neither party has any interest in rationality or even a smidgen of truth.

The gop's road to the WH in 2016 requires they break into the Obama coalition. The insurance mandate and required types of coverage aren't winners with the young kids. Kid's are distrustful of the Patriot Act. And they tend to be distrustful of the govt being an agent in solving problems. Obamanomics is no friend of theirs.

But Randian Paul is really the only goper who speaks their language. Randian Paul abandoned his positions on Israel and terrorism to satisfy Sheldon Adelson and AIPAC. But, I'm not sure he's enough of an acrobat to balance that and the youth act.

Immigration's sort of a millstone for the gop. It kills them with Latinos, but also with the kids. And, Obama's played that like the gop used to play "the queers are coming for your children" ... masterfully and without much substance.

And, the gop has to hold the old, and scared, whites. Randian Paul is not exactly a strength here, and Hillary may be able appeal to them.

Forum List

Back