Does the Double Dip begin on Friday?

True re tech. We've done fairly well with a few carefully selected moderate risk funds, but we're otherwise staying away from stock purchases there as everything is so volatile. When the Nasdaq crashed 'everybody' said it would never ever see such heights again. And I didn't believe them because the market always comes back, right? Well the Nasdaq hasn't. And I'm beginning to believe now that it probably won't anytime in the foreseeable future.

I agree. I'm 48, and I think "Tech" is done for my lifetime (don't expect to live much past 60, its a genetic thing). Apple will continue to do well, as long as they keep being aggressive with mobile stuff, but other than them, there aren't many "major players" out there that have a bright future as of now. MSFT is too conservative and stubborn now, likely from getting their asses handed to them several times, but I think primarily because Gates and Balmer have aged, and don't have the fire they did when they were young. Its just not the same company, and as technology increases, the client/server model shrinks.

It was great for a while, but like you, I don't think we'll see NASDAQ where it was for a decade or two at least.

If ever.

I got rich in the 90's by avoiding the dot Comsat that busted. I'll never pre tent luck didn't play a big part. I bought companies with great earnings only, the accountant in me wouldn't allow the hot idea purchase even though lots of other rich people were doing it. The luck part, I was managing money for a dozen or so rich clients with the above plan, I got assigned to a major enterprise software development that was out of town and wouldn't have time. I cut them all checks 45 percent a year for 5 years. That was the year before the crash. They all thought I knew it was coming and have asked me to resume.

I got rich in the 90's by avoiding the dot Comsat that busted. I'll never pre tent luck didn't play a big part. I bought companies with great earnings only, the accountant in me wouldn't allow the hot idea purchase even though lots of other rich people were doing it. The luck part, I was managing money for a dozen or so rich clients with the above plan, I got assigned to a major enterprise software development that was out of town and wouldn't have time. I cut them all checks 45 percent a year for 5 years. That was the year before the crash. They all thought I knew it was coming and have asked me to resume.

45% per year for 5 years straight? Got proof? Excuse me if I doubt some anonymous internet poster with bad spelling, atrocious grammar, and who uses trite expressions like "decide to be rich". What licenses do yo hold?

PS- define rich.

zanier your a loser and a crybaby. I'm telling you how I did it. If you'd like to bet me a thousand I'll bring the brokerage statements. Let me also say I'm older than dirt at 50 and was at investing at first $1,000 mo now $2,500 mo. And it took me from 24 till 49 to make that mill. I bought intel, ford, Merck, Microsoft, chevron and a few others. I bombed on Brunswick and maybe one other. But most of those boomed in the late 90's. I've been buying apple last 3 years, altria trading in and out.

zanier your a loser and a crybaby. I'm telling you how I did it. If you'd like to bet me a thousand I'll bring the brokerage statements. Let me also say I'm older than dirt at 50 and was at investing at first $1,000 mo now $2,500 mo. And it took me from 24 till 49 to make that mill. I bought intel, ford, Merck, Microsoft, chevron and a few others. I bombed on Brunswick and maybe one other. But most of those boomed in the late 90's. I've been buying apple last 3 years, altria trading in and out.
I'm not the one saying that I made 45% per year for 5 years straight - you are. The onus of proof is upon you. You said you managed other peoples money too, so tell us what license do you hold? besides 'creative license' that is.....:cuckoo:

Some great discussion in this thread, but back to my original question.....

Do any of you think Friday/Monday are going to be as bad as I do? I have a feeling that a much larger crash than what we would expect is coming on this one, primarily a gut feeling based on investor angst right now.

I know I'm the quintessential "buy it and forget it" guy, and I am planning on moving 90% of my investments by the end of the year. Lots of real estate (preferably undeveloped land) and gold in my future, and lots less "paper."

Some great discussion in this thread, but back to my original question.....

Do any of you think Friday/Monday are going to be as bad as I do? I have a feeling that a much larger crash than what we would expect is coming on this one, primarily a gut feeling based on investor angst right now.

I know I'm the quintessential "buy it and forget it" guy, and I am planning on moving 90% of my investments by the end of the year. Lots of real estate (preferably undeveloped land) and gold in my future, and lots less "paper."
Yes I do.

I think there is a high probability off a bad jobs number and a huge crash Friday. I'm very stubborn and will likely stay stocks as I think long term the economy will boom.

I think there is a high probability off a bad jobs number and a huge crash Friday. I'm very stubborn and will likely stay stocks as I think long term the economy will boom.

I'm in "wind down" mode. I'm putting my money into the business to leave the wife and kids some stable, reliable income, and converting most of the rest of it to more liquid, less volatile "stuff" (real estate and gold/silver/bonds).

I'm closing in on 50, but men in my family don't live to 60, so my mindset isn't really "long term" as much as it used to be.

And it took me from 24 till 49 to make that mill.

So, it took you 25 years to make $one million and you say you had a streak in the 90's where you earned 45% per year for 5 years straight? :cuckoo::cuckoo:

That's right the overwhelming majority of my money and earnings are in my 401k and pension. I only have about 100k in a brokerage account and when I managed money I prob had less than 20 grand myself. I'm not claiming anything other than slightly better than average investing and persistence. That's the point anyone can do it

And it took me from 24 till 49 to make that mill.

So, it took you 25 years to make $one million and you say you had a streak in the 90's where you earned 45% per year for 5 years straight? :cuckoo::cuckoo:

That's right the overwhelming majority of my money and earnings are in my 401k and pension. I only have about 100k in a brokerage account and when I managed money I prob had less than 20 grand myself. I'm not claiming anything other than slightly better than average investing and persistence. That's the point anyone can do it

Really? you were bragging that you made 45% per year for 5 years straight and had the Statements to prove it ! 45% per is is far better than "average". :cuckoo: You are singing a far different tune now.....when are you going to admit you were bullshitting us about the 45% per year for 5 years? Come clean, you'll feel better.

BTW, You still haven't answered my question about your license.......were you bullshitting about that too?

At any rate, yes most people can achieve financial independence if they consistently live below their means and invest wisely.

The stock market itself did very good in the late 90's not 45 percent but probably double digits. If your willing to bet a grand on it I could did up the info.

I'm in "wind down" mode. I'm putting my money into the business to leave the wife and kids some stable, reliable income, and converting most of the rest of it to more liquid, less volatile "stuff" (real estate and gold/silver/bonds).

I'm closing in on 50, but men in my family don't live to 60, so my mindset isn't really "long term" as much as it used to be.

Having your own successful business to leave to the family is awesome. Wow my wife gets longevity issues like that cause of her mom. That's scary shit. I keep telling her she's prob way fitter than her mom.

Zander one of those bets is a sucker bet. While I am no longer in the DRIP market and didn't have time back then to maximize my returns 45% was definitely attainable. Numerous issues gave 3-5% discounts on stock purchased directly from the company because the discount was cheaper than underwriting fees. By changing companies each quarter I averaged more than 20% per a year in discount returns plus dividends plus capital gains 92-06. But when I decided to go full time a lot of those discounts were discontinued and many were from REITs so I headed for greener pastures. But 39% was definitely attainable even without counting dividends or capital gains so 45% compounded for portfolios of less than 50K was most certainly possible and at low risk. I simply prefer a greater margin of safety than topspin.

I didn't use drips much though they are great for small investors, if I'd have know about buying at a dicount I sure would have. The ones I bought were at market value with no commissions. I used what is now TDAmeritrade.
I'm sticking to the high tech, energy, clean energy as the boom starters for the next decade. We have new engineers starting at like 80K I'm not buying the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Watch the price of oil in about 5 years.

Forum List

Back