Does the Double Dip begin on Friday?

I've got to park 30K for the next six months.

Where should I put it?

if you have to ask, i would just put it between mattresses. if you have something going like a business, i would think that it would be pretty obvious how to use your cash. if you are the marketized investment type, and have found successes throughout the economic cycle, it might be clearer where to invest there, too.

if you cant call on experience or labor of your own, you are taking a risk which pales to the security of a safe and a gun. you're not going to make a killing off 30k without a risk or effort, or a bit of both.

go back to the well you got the $30k from in the first place is my point.

agreed with above comment
If your looking for a gain I say Apple, but you might lose 20% just as easy as you could gain 20%

For parking TIPS are safe but if you are actually investing as opposed to speculating start with Graham's 50/50 stock/bond portfolio, get an AAII lifetime membership for I think it is $270 and run a dummy portfolio until you are comfortable investing.

I've got to park 30K for the next six months.

Where should I put it?

if you have to ask, i would just put it between mattresses. if you have something going like a business, i would think that it would be pretty obvious how to use your cash. if you are the marketized investment type, and have found successes throughout the economic cycle, it might be clearer where to invest there, too.

if you cant call on experience or labor of your own, you are taking a risk which pales to the security of a safe and a gun. you're not going to make a killing off 30k without a risk or effort, or a bit of both.

go back to the well you got the $30k from in the first place is my point.

I also would say just put it between mattresses. Without more stimulus we in deflation because the economy is failing again. Protect your cash because currently cash is king. If they pass another stimulus or bailout then invest or buy something valuable.

agreed with above comment
If your looking for a gain I say Apple, but you might lose 20% just as easy as you could gain 20%

Your might be schizophrenic :lol: - first you say "I don't gamble" then you post this ^^^^^^?

If you don't gamble -then you don't gamble. Advising someone to buy any stock with only 6 month holding period is gambling, period.

For parking TIPS are safe but if you are actually investing as opposed to speculating start with Graham's 50/50 stock/bond portfolio, get an AAII lifetime membership for I think it is $270 and run a dummy portfolio until you are comfortable investing.

I don't think TIPS are the best place for short term money, the duration is too long and even a slight uptick in interest rates will hurt. 90 day T-Bills or a Treasury Only Money market are really the best call IMHO.

Well like Zander and others have pointed out time frame is critical when parking money and except for special situations such as DRIP discounts or hedged positions transactions costs are non-trivial. So if you don't understand the market stay out of it and that applies to all markets. I have never bought nor do I intend to ever buy a new car, I am not a mechanic. I do play fat tails (market breakdowns) because I was a bookie before I got saved and even though the odds say I should win big at least once every four years my outlays are based on one big win every 8 years. Risk management should always be based on the idea that you can pull some totally idiotic stunt without realizing it.

zander apple is a great investment., just not for 6 months unless your willing to take the loss.

Depends how much your willing to lose?

Assume an unwillingness to lose anything.

Now, where does one park $30K for 180 days that gives one a rate of return greater than the miserable 0.25% banks are returning?

I'm a stock guy only, can't help you on the blue haired granny saving accounts.

I'm a stock guy only, can't help you on the blue haired granny saving accounts.

Understood.

My fudicary responsibility make me a blue haired granny (as opposed to a grumpie silverback) when it comes to this cash.

Were it mine to lose, I'd be a tad less risk adverse.

Thanks anyway, TS.

Zero worries about double dip 83,000 non gov jobs added and may revised up 15,000.

The market has been tanking all week and is continuing that trend today.

Latest labor reports out are that jobs were lost this past week. For ALL the jobs added in 2009 and 2010--our fearless leader takes credit for each and every one of course--you still have to measure the few hundred thousand added to the millions that have been lost. Unemployment down to 9.5% today not because more people are going to work but because tens of thousands more have given up and are no longer looking.

The President continues to push big money spending programs and wants another stimulus because of the success of the last one even though several hundred thousand of the last one hasn't been spent yet.

Of what has been spent of the original stimulus bill, not counting TARP, pork laden appropriation bills, and other spending initiatives--we're talking only about that part of the stimulus package that has been spent--every new job added has cost in excess of $700,000.

Of all the G8 and G20 countries, our President is the only one who isn't advocating cutting expenses, cutting back spending, and balancing the budget. Almost every day he is on television advocating some new expensive spending initiative.

Yeah, I think today may mark the beginning of double dip. That will continue until we can get enough people into Congress who are willing to derail this freight train.

No way on double dip. 83,000 more private company jobs and may revised up 15,000 more.

Forum List

Back