Does Spanking kids Work?

“"When I was about 20 years old, I met an old pastor’s wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn’t believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time. But one day, when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking–the first in his life. She told him that he would have to go outside himself and find a switch for her to hit him with.

The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying. He said to her, “Mama, I couldn’t find a switch, but here’s a rock that you can throw at me.”

All of a sudden the mother understood how the situation felt from the child’s point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, then it makes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone.

And the mother took the boy into her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence. And that is something I think everyone should keep in mind. Because if violence begins in the nursery one can raise children into violence.””

— Astrid Lindgren, author of Pippi Longstocking, 1978 Peace Prize Acceptance Speech
That was an example of an incredibly stupid woman. No difference between a stone and a switch? Obviously the story was a made up lie to propgandize the issue but it is a good example why the peace prize is nothing but a polical tool for feeling good about yourself. Might as well call it the politically correct masterbation prize.

^^ Ironic post for a thread about spanking, since it's made of pure butthurt.

“"When I was about 20 years old, I met an old pastor’s wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn’t believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time. But one day, when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking–the first in his life. She told him that he would have to go outside himself and find a switch for her to hit him with.

The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying. He said to her, “Mama, I couldn’t find a switch, but here’s a rock that you can throw at me.”

All of a sudden the mother understood how the situation felt from the child’s point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, then it makes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone.

And the mother took the boy into her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence. And that is something I think everyone should keep in mind. Because if violence begins in the nursery one can raise children into violence.””

— Astrid Lindgren, author of Pippi Longstocking, 1978 Peace Prize Acceptance Speech
That was an example of an incredibly stupid woman. No difference between a stone and a switch? Obviously the story was a made up lie to propgandize the issue but it is a good example why the peace prize is nothing but a polical tool for feeling good about yourself. Might as well call it the politically correct masterbation prize.

Yeah, sure whatever ... Put the rock down Pogo.

Situational thought experiment;

Your 4 year old gregarious child climbs up onto the kitchen stove and is about to place a hand on a hot burner.

Do you...

A) Grab the child off the stove and give a lecture.

B) Grab the child off the stove and give a spank.

C) Let the child figure it out by trial and error.

??

Warn the child the first time, and tell the child that it is hot, and they should not touch. If the child ignores my warning, I'd let them touch the burner.

They will never touch it again, and will listen to me when I say that something is hot. Sometimes you have to let people figure things out for themselves.

They will never forget that you failed to protect them from harm. Standing by doing nothing while your child is hurt is abuse, both physical and emotional.

Good move :doubt:

Your 4 year old gregarious child climbs up onto the kitchen stove and is about to place a hand on a hot burner.

Do you...

??

Warn the child the first time, and tell the child that it is hot, and they should not touch. If the child ignores my warning, I'd let them touch the burner.

They will never touch it again, and will listen to me when I say that something is hot. Sometimes you have to let people figure things out for themselves.

They will never forget that you failed to protect them from harm. Standing by doing nothing while your child is hurt is abuse, both physical and emotional.

How does a 4 year old climb onto a stove? Do you leave the pool gate open as well when you're not there?

How does a 4 year old climb onto a stove? Do you leave the pool gate open as well when you're not there?

You may be underestimating the size of a 4 year old. Not only can the 4 year old I nanny climb onto the counters/stove if she wants to, she can simply reach up and touch the burners while standing on the floor.

I don't accept that a child will never forget you failed to protect them, though. That's entirely dependent on the particular child.

Don't underestimate the ability of a 4 year old. They can do some incredible things and some incredibly dangerous things.

Don't underestimate the ability of a 4 year old. They can do some incredible things and some incredibly dangerous things.

Is this a thread about retarded kids? Then I agree.

Yeah, sure whatever ... Put the rock down Pogo.

"Rock"?? :rock:

C'mon, that was pure cleverity and you loved it. I know you did.
You want a spankin'? :whip:

Pfft ... Only old folks or the those suffering from lack-luster performance issues need to reduce themselves to some kind of dominance gameplay.
If it isn't stupid hot and awesome without the props ... You ain't doing it right.

Pfft ... Only old folks or the those suffering from lack-luster performance issues need to reduce themselves to some kind of dominance gameplay.
If it isn't stupid hot and awesome without the props ... You ain't doing it right.

Glad to hear you say that because I completely agree. Good thing too, I was gonna have to refer you to somebody in that field. Now you're all mine
swoon.gif

Do you...

??

Are you one of those weirdos who won't let kids leave the house without covering them in bubble-wrap?

Are you one of those weirdos who won't let kids leave the house without covering them in bubble-wrap?

The burner analogy is a bad one. such burns can be PERMANENT.

That is past the line of letting them do it and learn for themselves and believe me - I am a big supporter of that line of thought. If it is not going to cause serious harm (such as a broken bone) or cause permanent damage then I will let my kids figure it out themselves when my warnings are ignored.

I was spanked a few times when I was a kid and it worked on me -- and I'm not warped. On the other hand, we didn't spank our kids and they are fine too. So I just don't think it's that big a deal.

Mom arrested for spanking child in Corpus Christi, Texas:

Rosalia Gonzales of Corpus Christi was arrested for spanking in December when her almost-2-year-old daughter's grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear and took her to the hospital. Gonzales avoided jail time, but not before hearing some stern words from the judge.

"You don’t spank children today," Judge Jose Longoria said. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children. You understand?" To which Gonzales answered, "Yes, sir."

Gonzales will be on probation for five years, has been ordered to take parenting classes, and give $50 to the Children's Advocacy Center. She currently does not have custody of any of her three kids (they're with their paternal grandmother), but is working with Child Protective Services to get them back.

Mom Arrested for Spanking - Parenting.com

Mom arrested for spanking child in Corpus Christi, Texas:

Rosalia Gonzales of Corpus Christi was arrested for spanking in December when her almost-2-year-old daughter's grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear and took her to the hospital. Gonzales avoided jail time, but not before hearing some stern words from the judge.

"You don’t spank children today," Judge Jose Longoria said. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children. You understand?" To which Gonzales answered, "Yes, sir."

Gonzales will be on probation for five years, has been ordered to take parenting classes, and give $50 to the Children's Advocacy Center. She currently does not have custody of any of her three kids (they're with their paternal grandmother), but is working with Child Protective Services to get them back.

Mom Arrested for Spanking - Parenting.com
So sad.... What will we do if Putin & China tries to spank us if we interfer in that region of the world to much, and if they are still just like the mom and dad's of old were, otherwise in their thinking back in the day ?

Will we tell him hey (Putin) you don't spank now, do you hear me ? That is what Obama will say next to Putin probably. Now will it work ? Umm I guess it will have to be seen, because it sure isn't working here or any place else lately. Like I said before, we are becoming the laughing stock of the world.

She should have been tortured to death over a period of one year.

Yes definitely. then the children can be taken from their parent and placed in a much better place like these children were:

Colorado News and Denver News: The Denver Post

Because the state is a FAR better ward than someone that spanks their children as evidenced by this wonderful example...

Your reactions are based entirely on hatred and emotion without the slightest thought to reason. The fact that you want to torture and kill over a swat on the bottom tells me that you have not the slightest clue what the subject matter even is. I guess that violence (that is advocating to kill) is just fine in your book but disciplining children is not. That is utterly insane.

Forum List

Back