Does Spanking kids Work?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by dukect45, Feb 15, 2014.

1. dukect45

dukect45 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100
    This something that has interest me for quite awhile now. Since I was spanked as a kid when I did wrong and for the most part I came out fine other than my Depression that I still haven't kicked out of.

But for the most part a sane human being. But new this new data of people who spank their kids for the most part do not do well in schools and are more aggressive is this old school way of discipline hurting are kids this the question I ask you guys here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1GJsCa_4G8]Do Not Hit Your Children with Belts - YouTube[/ame]

Study Links Spanking Kids To Aggression, Language Problems

Womanist Musings: Dear Black Community: Beating Children With Belts Is Not Discipline, It's Abuse

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. skye

skye Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,853
    I worked for me.

Thank you Dad! :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. BobPlumb

BobPlumb VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Spanking is just one of many tools for disciplining children. I include " a slap on the hand" in the spanking categorie since it involves physically striking a child. That said, a whack on the bottom or a slap on the hand should mostly be phased out in favor of other forms of dicipline such as "time out" or taking toys away by age 5 or 6. If a kid needs encouragement to properly serve his time in "time out" , it may be an appropriate time to warm the child's rear end to remind him who is boss and to insure compliance with the alternative forms of dicipline.

Most importantly don't promise consequencies that you don't intend to keep and also award good behavior and show lots of love to your children.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,318
    I certainly had my share of spankings when I was a kid growing up. Depending on who you talk to, I am normal.

5. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,915
    Yes, in moderation, it works.

6. Noomi

Noomi Ninja Kicker Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,880
    There is never any need to use physical punishment when it comes to children. You cannot tell your kids that its wrong to hit someone, yet hit them yourself. Sends the wrong message.

And no, I don't have kids, and yes, I was smacked a few times as a kid - and I turned out to be depressed, suicidal, and prone to outbursts of violence. If I ever have kids, I will refuse to lay a finger on them.

7. USNavyVet

USNavyVet VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +437
    I think spanking on the rear is fine as long as it's the last resort and is not done while angry. A friend of mine really has it down. He has 3 girls and the oldest acts up a lot so she gets a lot of time outs. At some point, when the time out is used multiple times for the same issue during the same day, she may get a smack on the butt but it's not often. And I've never seen him lash out or even raise his voice other than to get the girl's attention.

The main issue to make sure you never reprimand the kids when you're angry. I think people tend to overreact.

8. Wolfsister77

Wolfsister77 Knowledge Is Power Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,701
    I have a 4 year old. I was spanked as a child and I remember it vividly. I do not spank my daughter. Time outs, taking away toys, taking away things she likes to do, etc. seems to work for now. She says sorry if she does something she shouldn't and always wants a hug. The only time I ever get really mad at her is if safety is an issue. Playing too close to the street or messing with the dogs too much or other dogs or going too close to the stove. I supervise her but there is still danger. She knows I mean business just with a raised voice and a stern talking to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  9. BobPlumb

BobPlumb VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +605
    Kids are wired differently. Some kids are sensitive to a raised voice or a stern look. Others don't give a shit and you have to be more stern with them. If the other discipline tools work for your daughter and you, then spanking is certainly not necessary.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  10. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,586
    Exactly right.

There is never a reason or an excuse to hit a child.