Does H2O Cool the Planet?

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
In isolation water vapour warms the atmosphere and surface because it is a greenhouse gas.

But what about all the other properties?

The water cycle transports and releases a lot of energy higher into the atmosphere where it is closer to escape. The clouds themselves may absorb or reflect sunlight depending on their type and location.

The atmosphere is turbulent because moist air rises. This tends to push energy towards the poles, reducing the temperature gradients and placing the energy where it can escape more easily.

Oceans and their currents also redistribute large amounts of energy.

I see H2O as both a heater and an air conditioner, working at the same time, with one side winning out over the other depending on the local conditions.

In the long run our large quantity of water will be our doom.

In about a billion years the sun will be 10% hotter than it is now. That will cause oceans to evaporate resulting in huge amounts of water vapor in the atmosphere which will lead to a runaway greenhouse effect and a huge increase in atmospheric pressure which will be incompatible with human life

In about a billion years the sun will be 10% hotter than it is now. That will cause oceans to evaporate resulting in huge amounts of water vapor in the atmosphere which will lead to a runaway greenhouse effect and a huge increase in atmospheric pressure which will be incompatible with human life

We just need to move the planet to about where Mars is at to avoid that fate.

Maybe, but H2O kept the planet in the Goldilocks zone a few billion years ago when the Sun was 10 or 20% dimmer.

How about the present?

There are geoengineering methods of cooling the planet that are more feasible than changing the Earths orbit.

I'm pretty concerned about a billion years from now. How can I give up my quality of life and all my money now to help abate the coming catastrophe?

There are geoengineering methods of cooling the planet that are more feasible than changing the Earths orbit.

Not when it comes to 50 pus degree temperature increases. Anyway, another billion years and I should be ready to die anyway.

No it will promote continuous rain...

Does anyone here own and run a SWAMP COOLER?

I finished setting up mine today and running it right now.

You will quickly know the answer if you do.

Maybe, but H2O kept the planet in the Goldilocks zone a few billion years ago when the Sun was 10 or 20% dimmer.

How about the present?
You mean snowball earth?

Our water does not place us in the Goldilocks zone. It's our distance from the sun that does that.

Our sun has a lifespan and it will die and on its death throes it will expand to engulf the inner planets but the human race will be extinct before that happens

No it won't

I'm pretty concerned about a billion years from now. How can I give up my quality of life and all my money now to help abate the coming catastrophe?

Why worry I don't.

There is absolutely nothing we can do to stop the inevitable.

Does the water cycle belong to the Greenhouse Effect or is it something individual?

What powers the water cycle? Originally sunlight but does it give back the same amount of energy? At least in quantity if not quality?

I was stationed at Sandia Labs eons ago in Albuquerque, swamp coolers for all. Funny how engineers can provide positive proof that water vapor which is supposed to be the most powerful greenhouse gas of all can effectively cool the atmosphere and the cult of climate change can ignore this obvious and undeniable truth in favor of their set of flawed physics and the models that go along with them.

I was stationed at Sandia Labs eons ago in Albuquerque, swamp coolers for all. Funny how engineers can provide positive proof that water vapor which is supposed to be the most powerful greenhouse gas of all can effectively cool the atmosphere and the cult of climate change can ignore this obvious and undeniable truth in favor of their set of flawed physics and the models that go along with them.
Swamp coolers only work in hot dry climates

The evaporation of the water draws heat from the air without any appreciable increase in humidity.

They don't work in hot and humid areas because the atmosphere can't absorb as much water at it is already near the saturation point

Forum List

Back