Cool the planet, block the sunlight.

How are you evidencing these crop failures being caused by volcanism ... and not warfare? ...

Anglo-Saxon ... and the Jutes ... all immigrated from North Germany ... collectively these became the English ... Belgium isn't part of England ... and neither is Pictland ...

The Welsh are from Wales ... c'mon ... you're smarter than this ...

At the time you are talking about the various tribes, from wherever they came from called themselves those names. I didn't even bother to mention the Iceni, who were also of Germanic origin, pretty much ALL of England was held by invaders. There were no "Picts" That name is a Roman invention from the 3rd Century. The tribes that inhabited that area were the Damnonii and Cornavii. Both Celtic. The Welsh are also Celtic. Like I said, there never was a native Briton, the island is inhabited by invaders from day one.

As far as the volcanic evidence, it is pretty well established that the Sun was in a cool phase through the late 5th, through the 6th century. That is going to lead to lower crop yields, toss in a volcanic eruption or two, and the corresponding crop failures leads to widespread starvation.

These are all documented by the catholic priests of the time, as well as the Chinese scholars and bureaucrats of the east.

The 'trash' comes down in a few weeks.

It doesn't look like the problem is going solve itself. We should do something on a grand scale, as people won't help much on an individual/collective scale.

You hope.

At the time you are talking about the various tribes, from wherever they came from called themselves those names. I didn't even bother to mention the Iceni, who were also of Germanic origin, pretty much ALL of England was held by invaders. There were no "Picts" That name is a Roman invention from the 3rd Century. The tribes that inhabited that area were the Damnonii and Cornavii. Both Celtic. The Welsh are also Celtic. Like I said, there never was a native Briton, the island is inhabited by invaders from day one.

As far as the volcanic evidence, it is pretty well established that the Sun was in a cool phase through the late 5th, through the 6th century. That is going to lead to lower crop yields, toss in a volcanic eruption or two, and the corresponding crop failures leads to widespread starvation.

These are all documented by the catholic priests of the time, as well as the Chinese scholars and bureaucrats of the east.

You're no true Scotsman are you? ...

5th, 6th Century also saw the fall of the Roman Empire ... which left chaos and warfare in it's wake ... both disease and starvation are the primary killers in any war ... and the claim was volcanism from Krakatoa effecting climate for 300 years ... you've only covered about 50 years is all, and include several volcanoes ... and that's reasonable ...

And I would like to see some citations ... Catholic priests and Chinese scholars? ... come again? ...

You're no true Scotsman are you? ...

5th, 6th Century also saw the fall of the Roman Empire ... which left chaos and warfare in it's wake ... both disease and starvation are the primary killers in any war ... and the claim was volcanism from Krakatoa effecting climate for 300 years ... you've only covered about 50 years is all, and include several volcanoes ... and that's reasonable ...

And I would like to see some citations ... Catholic priests and Chinese scholars? ... come again? ...

No, I said the cool Sun was responsible for diminished crop yields. Throw in a volcanic eruption or two, and you have mass starvation. Remember, these societies were "sustainable" at best. They had very little excess year over year. Below are links to the Chinese records, and the last link is the Domesday book. You can use the links there to go even further back. Various priests throughout the Christian region would keep track of climate because they derived their food from farming.

Climate records in ancient Chinese diaries and their application in historical climate reconstruction—A case study of Yunshan Diary

Geophysical Research Letters
Climate
Free Access

Temperature variation through 2000 years in China: An uncertainty analysis of reconstruction and regional difference​

I though your whole argument is to reduce the sunlight actually hitting the earth.

Putting solar panels on the surface will not reduce the surface temperature
That's just one part. All reasonable methods should be included.

No, I said the cool Sun was responsible for diminished crop yields. Throw in a volcanic eruption or two, and you have mass starvation. Remember, these societies were "sustainable" at best. They had very little excess year over year. Below are links to the Chinese records, and the last link is the Domesday book. You can use the links there to go even further back. Various priests throughout the Christian region would keep track of climate because they derived their food from farming.

Climate records in ancient Chinese diaries and their application in historical climate reconstruction—A case study of Yunshan Diary

Geophysical Research Letters
Climate
Free Access

Temperature variation through 2000 years in China: An uncertainty analysis of reconstruction and regional difference​

All fine and dandy but how does any of this support this claim:

In 536 AD the eruption of Krakatoa caused global crop failure, famine and plague and launched mankind into the Dark Ages for several hundred years.

Which is an odd choice of words ... starting in the 7th Century is the Golden Age of Islam ...

All fine and dandy but how does any of this support this claim:

Which is an odd choice of words ... starting in the 7th Century is the Golden Age of Islam ...

It doesn't

I didn't make that post, in fact I wrote a response that was against it. However, volcanic activity DOES have immediate, and drastic effects.

The year without a summer, 1815, witnessed Mt. Tambora's eruption, which led directly to at least 60,000 dying of starvation in Europe.

The 'trash' comes down in a few weeks.

It doesn't look like the problem is going solve itself. We should do something on a grand scale, as people won't help much on an individual/collective scale.
And then we have to clean it all up and send it back up to orbit

How about we just replace fossil fuels with nuclear power.

Can't get much grander than that

It doesn't

I didn't make that post, in fact I wrote a response that was against it. However, volcanic activity DOES have immediate, and drastic effects.

The year without a summer, 1815, witnessed Mt. Tambora's eruption, which led directly to at least 60,000 dying of starvation in Europe.

That's the exact same example I used ... and in exactly the same way ... why are you arguing with me then? ...

Climate is average weather ... how does one eruption change these averages? ... and let's set ∆t = 100 years ...

How are you proving these 60,000 dead were caused by volcanism and not Napoleonic Wars? ... that's 2 million dead on the French side, 4 million dead on the allies side ... how many displaced? ... tens of millions? ... and you seem to think a measly 60,000 dead of starvation? ... just curious how you come up with that number ...

That's the exact same example I used ... and in exactly the same way ... why are you arguing with me then? ...

Climate is average weather ... how does one eruption change these averages? ... and let's set ∆t = 100 years ...

How are you proving these 60,000 dead were caused by volcanism and not Napoleonic Wars? ... that's 2 million dead on the French side, 4 million dead on the allies side ... how many displaced? ... tens of millions? ... and you seem to think a measly 60,000 dead of starvation? ... just curious how you come up with that number ...

Ummmm, I ain't arguing with you, other than the fact that volcanic eruptions DO cause mass death through starvation as well as the direct causes of death.

Look up The Year Without a Summer.

The book goes into great detail recounting the crop failures thanks to the dust in the atmosphere that cooled the Earth.

And then we have to clean it all up and send it back up to orbit

How about we just replace fossil fuels with nuclear power.

Can't get much grander than that
There are some serious problems with the production and disposal of nuke fuel. I opt for a sustainable lifestyle for both people and the planet.

There are some serious problems with the production and disposal of nuke fuel. I opt for a sustainable lifestyle for both people and the planet.
No there really isn't.

We can use the waste from the old light water reactors to fuel the next generation of reactors to provide emission free power for the next couple centuries.

And how sustainable is rocketing up cubic miles worth of paper into the atmosphere over and over and over again.

Last edited:
No there really isn't.

We can use the waste from the old light water reactors to fuel the next generation of reactors to provide emission free power for the next couple centuries.
When could that come on line?

Forum List

Back