Does Earth's magnetic field have any effect at all on the climate? Bueller? Anyone?

That was truth Frank. A magnet off your refrigerator has thousands to times more magnetic intensity than does the Earth. Have you ever seen any atmospheric effects around your refrigerator? Perhaps the magnets are what keeps the inside cool.

Earth magnetic field has NO EFFECT on our climate? That's your "science"?

Frank, if you think there is an effect, a measurable, significant effect that literally influences the outcome of the climate, I'm ALL EARS. Do please give us the scientific proof, and tell us how the wobble of the Earths magnetic poles plays a factor.

I don't want your opinion, your belief, nor some crackpot website that simply SAYS SO. I want credible science from respected sources complete with the mathematics and graphable data to back it up.

I can show you the stratigraphic history of climatic changes on the Earth going back nearly to its beginning. Be prepared to correlate that with recorded commensurate changes in Earth's magnetic field to show me the cause and effect.

That was truth Frank. A magnet off your refrigerator has thousands to times more magnetic intensity than does the Earth. Have you ever seen any atmospheric effects around your refrigerator? Perhaps the magnets are what keeps the inside cool.

Frank, if you think there is an effect, a measurable, significant effect that literally influences the outcome of the climate, I'm ALL EARS. Do please give us the scientific proof, and tell us how the wobble of the Earths magnetic poles plays a factor.

I don't want your opinion, your belief, nor some crackpot website that simply SAYS SO. I want credible science from respected sources complete with the mathematics and graphable data to back it up.

I can show you the stratigraphic history of climatic changes on the Earth going back nearly to its beginning. Be prepared to correlate that with recorded commensurate changes in Earth's magnetic field to show me the cause and effect.

You mean like all the lab work you've shown relating a 120ppm rise in CO2 to Guam tipping over?

You mean like all the lab work you've shown relating a 120ppm rise in CO2 to Guam tipping over?

Huh? WTF? Lab work? What the hell are you talking about? You mean Guam's going to tip over from 8,000 marines? CO2 somehow related to magnetism? Frank, you are starting to scare me. You got something credible to say, spill it out, man! Still waiting for any credible reason to connect Earth's magnetic field, which has held more or less steady for billions of years protecting us like an umbrella with radical changes and shifts in climate and weather! God God! Destruction of the ozone layer has had infinitely more effect on those things and that came from OUR own actions.

Is climate change linked to geomagnetism?

"According to space.com, the force of solar wind stretches Earth’s magnetic field “so that it is smooshed inward on the sun-side and stretched out on the night side.” In doing so, solar wind directly influences the shape and morphology of Earth’s magnetic field.

Solar wind is a constant force, but its various properties change with the sun’s 11-year solar cycle. Courtillot and his colleagues believe an “overall magnetic trend” emerges alongside this cycle. They are convinced, therefore, that irregular magnetic variations can be studied “after carefully removing regular daily variation.”

“If solar activity is correlated to climate over much of historical times, it might be expected that the ‘overall magnetic trend’ would correlate with the recent evolution of global temperature,” says the study. “Of course, the relation in this case does not imply a causal link from Earth's magnetism towards climate, but from the sun to both climate and magnetic changes.”

According to Courtillot, Earth’s magnetic field also regulates “incoming fluxes of cosmic rays” — rays he and other scientists claim influence changes in cloud cover and albedo (the proportion of light or radiation reflected back into space by the Earth’s surface). Fewer clouds equal a warmer climate, as clouds reflect heat from the sun back into space."

I see the attraction to this theory. It removes man as central to climate change. However it ignores the fact that while man might be a FACTOR in the climate, the climate has ALWAYS been changing, far better and worse than today, long before mankind even took shape on the face of the land.

"According to space.com, the force of solar wind stretches Earth’s magnetic field “so that it is smooshed inward on the sun-side and stretched out on the night side.” In doing so, solar wind directly influences the shape and morphology of Earth’s magnetic field.

This is nothing new at all. This has been known going back as far as I can remember as a kid! It's the natural result of the pressure of the solar particles and has always been that way since the Earth formed. Indeed, the aurora we see is nothing more than a collection of solar wind particles collected on the outer sheath of the geomagnetic field getting stretched out far behind the Earth until it eventually snaps back and they flow along the lines back toward and mostly down upon the magnetic poles of the Earth where they fluoresce atoms in the upper atmosphere.

Magnetosphere-solar-wind-JPL.jpg

Solar wind is a constant force, but its various properties change with the sun’s 11-year solar cycle. Courtillot and his colleagues believe an “overall magnetic trend” emerges alongside this cycle. They are convinced, therefore, that irregular magnetic variations can be studied “after carefully removing regular daily variation.”

The solar wind is a fairly constant force with a slow changing component over the 11 year solar cycle (relating to sunspot production) and very short term variations on the order of hours and days mostly resulting from CMEs and similar events; neither of which are a good fit for accounting to climatic variations over decades, centuries and millennia.

“If solar activity is correlated to climate over much of historical times, it might be expected that the ‘overall magnetic trend’ would correlate with the recent evolution of global temperature,” says the study. “Of course, the relation in this case does not imply a causal link from Earth's magnetism towards climate, but from the sun to both climate and magnetic changes.”

The Sun is the major controller of the climate and weather, but due to its light and heat output which directly drive everything on the Earth and not due to any influence on the magnetosheath far outside and beyond the Earth.

According to Courtillot, Earth’s magnetic field also regulates “incoming fluxes of cosmic rays” — rays he and other scientists claim influence changes in cloud cover and albedo (the proportion of light or radiation reflected back into space by the Earth’s surface). Fewer clouds equal a warmer climate, as clouds reflect heat from the sun back into space."

I'd have to say rubbish to that. Cosmic rays are particles originating from the highest energy events in the universe, are not that numerous compared to other radiation and little of it reaches the Earth, much less to be attributable to the generation of cloud cover (?) (clouds result mainly from moisture hitting boundary layers of differences in temperature, moisture and pressure), further, saying that there is a relation to warmth and lack of cloud cover is too broad a generalization, as clouds can also trap in heat (a la Venus) and hold it in, and the Earth could be very cold and dry, making the sky clear, yet still be cold.

Another rubbish article as is so common from general internet sources. Again, if the geomagnetic field has ANY effect upon the climate, it would be infinitesimal, I think immeasurable, and very hard to equate its overall steadiness with long-term climatic variations. But let's say there is a factor; we certainly have no control over the Earth;s field much less the Sun, and only further removes man as being the primary cause of climate changes. Put another way, I'd say------

CLIMATE INFLUENCING FACTORS:

THE SUN (including output and variations due to changes in Earth's orbit and position to it): 85%

EARTH'S OWN GEOPLANETARY VARIATIONS
(gases, moisture, particulates, and other natural changes in atmosphere): 13.9999%
(Man as a factor in his environment): 1.0%

OTHER SPURIOUS FACTORS (space, magnetics, unknowns): 0.0001%

My personal gut feeling is that yes, we ARE having an influence in the warming of the Earth, but that it was due to warm anyway, would be warming anyway, and all we are doing is helping it along a bit, and if we are seeing the natural cycle of anything, it is the natural warming that always precedes the next cooling cycle which is already overdue.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back