Does Earth's magnetic field have any effect at all on the climate? Bueller? Anyone?

Amazing Billy. You are the one who claimed that the Earth's magnetic field held the atmosphere in place and that gravity has an "electric charge component".. Are you unaware how this all makes you look? I would again simply admit your error and move on.

Might be a little late, though.

Gawd I love seeing alarmist go totally bonkers when thier crackpot AGW religion is torn apart.... Just wow... In their world and psuedo-science view everything would be flung from the earths surface....

Hey Billy, FWIW, "thier" is actually spelled THEIR. Just thought you should know, as you lecture us on the physical laws of the universe.

Amazing Billy. You are the one who claimed that the Earth's magnetic field held the atmosphere in place and that gravity has an "electric charge component".. Are you unaware how this all makes you look? I would again simply admit your error and move on.

I'm still just trying to wrap my head around the idea that an electron charge, ie, ELECTRONS are riding along with the gravitational field of the Earth when science hasn't even yet been able to identify the force carrier behind gravity?! That would imply gravity as a CONDUCTOR of electricity!!!!! And anything that conducts can be SHORTED OUT, therefore, if we short out the gravity field of the Earth, we can all go floating off into space (actually FLUNG out unless magnetism pulls us back). Geesh. This place could drive you to drink. Maybe you need to be on drugs to be here?

Talking relativistic physics with you ass clowns is pointless.. Enjoy your ignorance..Every molecule known to man holds a charge, an electrical bond and weight of mass.. Continue to 'believe',,, Its all you folks have...

Last edited:

Talking relativistic physics with you ass clowns is pointless.. Enjoy your ignorance..

I knew it. The admitted troll whenever exposed and confronted with facts and knowledge DUCKS AND RUNS to hide his ignorance and cowardice. Hey BB, guess what, no one here was even talking relativistic physics. You certainly were not. I'd bet a million dollars you CAN'T. But at least we know your search engine for big impressive fancy words still works. None of this has a damn thing to do with special or general relativity. In a low gravity environment like the Earth, simple classical Newtonian Physics suffices. And guess who invented that? Isaac Newton (remember the apple?) Wow. And to think, I'm the one that got accused of trolling.

No. I hate to tell you this, but none of the constituents of the Earth's atmosphere are affected by magnetic fields. There is a hypothesis that's been floating around for some time that contends that cosmic ray particles are responsible for seeding the growth of clouds and thus the Earth's magnetic field, by affecting the number and energy level of such particles, affects the climate. Check out The earth's magnetic field impacts climate//Viewzone. This sort of effect was also investigated at CERN just a couple years ago.

"it can only be explained through the magnetic field's blocking of the cosmetic rays,"

Another article of higher learning for the internet age. o_O The main thing that blocks cosmic rays is the atmosphere itself, when the cosmic ray particle collides with atoms in the upper atmosphere, it breaks them up into other, lower energy particles. While magnetically influenced, cosmic ray particles are too fast and too high energy to be stopped in whole by Earth's weak magnetic field which is why they shower down through our atmosphere.

View attachment 239806 View attachment 239807

ToobFreak, the comment concerned the affect of the Earth's magnetic field on solar wind particles, not cosmic rays.

It SAYS cosmic rays (er, ah, cosmetic rays). I guess those look better). o_O

I'm quickly coming to the realization that of all the people here that tell me they have advanced degrees in this or that, that 95% of them are liars and 4% of the remainder got the degree but whose grades were too poor to ever actually land a job in their field.
The article says the exact OPPOSITE of what he said it did

So when did you two determine that gravity has no electrical charge component? By the way, your no electron charge idea about gravity violates every known law of physics relating to bonds.. (gravity and/or magnetism)..

Hey BONEHEAD, you DO realize you're talking to someone with degrees in physics, studies quantum theory as a hobby and used to design global telecom? DO PLEASE provide us with a link to anything short of some crackpot website that tells us that gravity has an "electrical charge component"? Do you even know what a gauge boson is and that one of the problems with current GUT is that there is no known force carrier for gravity? Yet you've apparently found an "electrical charge component"?

GOOD GOD MAN, what are you sitting there for? You need to contact CERN and Peter Higgs---- you will be getting a Nobel Prize!!! Back to reality, man, where did I even bring up anything about gravity and electron charges? SHOW ME THE POST. Do you even fucking know who you are talking to? Do you know what day of the week it is? Do please list all the known physical laws relating to bonds I have violated. I'm up for a good laugh from another USMB fucking JACKASS.

BTW, IDIOT, there is NO relationship between the gravitational attraction of matter (current theory postulates that the gravity field actually originates from dark matter) and the EM force.

Wow.
A degree in physics? Gimme a break dude. No one ...and I do mean no one... believes that. Let me guess you got it out of a Cracker Jack box or attended Drumpf Online University? :laughing0301:

No. I hate to tell you this, but none of the constituents of the Earth's atmosphere are affected by magnetic fields. There is a hypothesis that's been floating around for some time that contends that cosmic ray particles are responsible for seeding the growth of clouds and thus the Earth's magnetic field, by affecting the number and energy level of such particles, affects the climate. Check out The earth's magnetic field impacts climate//Viewzone. This sort of effect was also investigated at CERN just a couple years ago.
The article says the opposite of your first sentence

Believe me Frank, the magnetic field of the Earth has no measurable effect on our atmosphere much less the weather. The flux density of the Earth's magnetic field at the surface is between 25 to 65 microtesla according to a source I just checked (0.000025 - 0.000065 tesla); A neodymium magnet can have 1.4 tesla (56,000X stronger).

That was sarcasm, right?

That was truth Frank. A magnet off your refrigerator has thousands to times more magnetic intensity than does the Earth. Have you ever seen any atmospheric effects around your refrigerator? Perhaps the magnets are what keeps the inside cool.

So when did you two determine that gravity has no electrical charge component? By the way, your no electron charge idea about gravity violates every known law of physics relating to bonds.. (gravity and/or magnetism)..

Hey BONEHEAD, you DO realize you're talking to someone with degrees in physics, studies quantum theory as a hobby and used to design global telecom? DO PLEASE provide us with a link to anything short of some crackpot website that tells us that gravity has an "electrical charge component"? Do you even know what a gauge boson is and that one of the problems with current GUT is that there is no known force carrier for gravity? Yet you've apparently found an "electrical charge component"?

GOOD GOD MAN, what are you sitting there for? You need to contact CERN and Peter Higgs---- you will be getting a Nobel Prize!!! Back to reality, man, where did I even bring up anything about gravity and electron charges? SHOW ME THE POST. Do you even fucking know who you are talking to? Do you know what day of the week it is? Do please list all the known physical laws relating to bonds I have violated. I'm up for a good laugh from another USMB fucking JACKASS.

BTW, IDIOT, there is NO relationship between the gravitational attraction of matter (current theory postulates that the gravity field actually originates from dark matter) and the EM force.

Wow.
A degree in physics? Gimme a break dude. No one ...and I do mean no one... believes that. Let me guess you got it out of a Cracker Jack box or attended Drumpf Online University? :laughing0301:

Ready to debate physics with you any time you want. What shall it be, the physical processes within a semiconductor junction? Solar magnetohydrodynamics within the core of a star as it switches from hydrogen to helium to carbon burning? Quantum chromodynamics? No wait, since we've talked so much about magnetic fields in the thread, lets make it about magnetic hysteresis, whether in the core of a transformer or in the windings of a phono pickup! Got something better? Let's go, BIG MOUTH. It'll be fun tearing your ass to pieces after I saw what you said about not even believing this thread existed (ie: you AGREED that magnetics played a primary role in controlling the climate and/or weather).

The only thing anyone here that has followed you and me doesn't believe is that you are even smart enough to type a cogent sentence, much less walk into such a trap. OH WAIT! I forgot! Since you are putting others down telling them how much smarter you are or how dumb they are, you should have NO PROBLEM then solving this simple high school math problem I devised months ago for our old intrepid Russian Selivan who was always coming here putting down America.

IMPRESS US Milkweed by solving the following simple problem. Like Selivan and Unkatore, I expect you will NOT know its solution and will run from the topic. Tell me what X equals, then we can debate physics all you want to see who talks shit and who doesn't! If you have ANY physics background, X should be a piece of cake for you.

new-1.jpg

The article says the opposite of your first sentence

Believe me Frank, the magnetic field of the Earth has no measurable effect on our atmosphere much less the weather. The flux density of the Earth's magnetic field at the surface is between 25 to 65 microtesla according to a source I just checked (0.000025 - 0.000065 tesla); A neodymium magnet can have 1.4 tesla (56,000X stronger).

That was sarcasm, right?

No. It was stating a fact. Pick up a magnet (any magnet is far stronger than the Earth's field) and tell me how much atmosphere or water vapor it has attracted stuck to its surface! Then ask yourself how the weak field of the Earth could actually affect weather much less climate.

Don't take my word for it, look this stuff up in reputable physics journals. Princeton University has a tremendous library of articles available to the public.

From SAO/NASA ADS Physics Abstract Service

Does the Earth's Magnetic Field Influence Climate?

Abstract
Much of the observed increase in global surface temperature over the past 150 years occurred prior to the 1940's and after the 1980's. The main agents which are invoked are solar variability, changes in atmospheric greenhouse gas content or sulfur, due to natural or anthropogenic action, or internal variability of the coupled ocean-atmosphere system. Magnetism has seldom been invoked, and evidence for connections between climate and magnetic field variations have received little attention. We review evidence for such connections, starting with suggested correlations, on three time scales: recent secular variation (10-100 years), historical and archeomagnetic change (100-5000 years) and excursions and reversals (1000-1 million years). We attempt to suggest which mechanisms could account for observed correlations. Evidence for correlations in field intensity changes, excursions and reversals, which invoke Milankovic forcing in the core, either directly or through changes in ice distribution and moments of inertia of the Earth, is still tenuous. Correlation between decadal changes in amplitude of geomagnetic variations of external origin, solar irradiance and global temperature is stronger. The correlation applies until the 1980's, suggesting that solar irradiance is the prime forcing function of climate until then, when the correlation breaks and anomalous warming may emerge from the signal. Indeed, only solar flux of energy and particles can jointly explain parallel variations in temperature and external magnetic field. The most intriguing feature may be recently proposed archeomagnetic jerks (see abstract by Gallet et al). These seem to correlate with significant climatic events. A proposed mechanism involves tilt of the dipole to low latitudes, resulting in enhanced cosmic-ray induced nucleation of clouds. Intense data acquisition over a broad range of durations is required to further probe these indications that the Earth's and Sun's magnetic fields may have significant bearing on climate change at various time scales.

and,

PhysOrg

Earth's magnetic field is important for climate change at high altitudes

Excerpt:

New research, published this week, has provided scientists with greater insight into the climatic changes happening in the upper atmosphere. Scientists found that changes in the Earth's magnetic field are more relevant for climatic changes in the upper atmosphere (about 100-500 km above the surface) than previously thought. Understanding the cause of long-term change in this area helps scientists to predict what will happen in the future. This has key implications for life back on earth.

Abstract
Much of the observed increase in global surface temperature over the past 150 years occurred prior to the 1940's and after the 1980's. The main agents which are invoked are solar variability, changes in atmospheric greenhouse gas content or sulfur, due to natural or anthropogenic action, or internal variability of the coupled ocean-atmosphere system. Magnetism has seldom been invoked, and evidence for connections between climate and magnetic field variations have received little attention. We review evidence for such connections, starting with suggested correlations, on three time scales: recent secular variation (10-100 years), historical and archeomagnetic change (100-5000 years) and excursions and reversals (1000-1 million years). We attempt to suggest which mechanisms could account for observed correlations. Evidence for correlations in field intensity changes, excursions and reversals, which invoke Milankovic forcing in the core, either directly or through changes in ice distribution and moments of inertia of the Earth, is still tenuous. Correlation between decadal changes in amplitude of geomagnetic variations of external origin, solar irradiance and global temperature is stronger. The correlation applies until the 1980's, suggesting that solar irradiance is the prime forcing function of climate until then, when the correlation breaks and anomalous warming may emerge from the signal. Indeed, only solar flux of energy and particles can jointly explain parallel variations in temperature and external magnetic field. The most intriguing feature may be recently proposed archeomagnetic jerks (see abstract by Gallet et al). These seem to correlate with significant climatic events. A proposed mechanism involves tilt of the dipole to low latitudes, resulting in enhanced cosmic-ray induced nucleation of clouds. Intense data acquisition over a broad range of durations is required to further probe these indications that the Earth's and Sun's magnetic fields may have significant bearing on climate change at various time scales.

and,

PhysOrg

Excerpt:

New research, published this week, has provided scientists with greater insight into the climatic changes happening in the upper atmosphere. Scientists found that changes in the Earth's magnetic field are more relevant for climatic changes in the upper atmosphere (about 100-500 km above the surface) than previously thought. Understanding the cause of long-term change in this area helps scientists to predict what will happen in the future. This has key implications for life back on earth.

But which will require computer modeling which none of the deniers here will accept.

All in all, not exactly a hard or certain conclusion. And if, as I suspect, you are now going to begin claiming that global warming is not the result of increased greenhouse warming but a product of our wandering magnetic pole, the text here indicates you'll need evidence of the pole having wandered to "low latitudes", ie, near the equator in the last few decades.

Abstract

and,

PhysOrg

Excerpt:

Only one problem here Tommy --- --- there is no climate to speak of 100-500 km out. Certainly no weather.

atmosphere_layers.jpg

All of that happens within a TENTH of that. Where your article claims is essentially outer space! The ionosphere, the exosphere, up where aurora happen! Even spy jets only reach to maybe 30 km, and the highest weather balloons to maybe 50 km. At 100-500 km, there is no air, no weather, no climate, basically outer space. Maybe a lot of charged particles flying around. Indeed, at 500 km, you are only about 100km below the first Van Allen Radiation Belt.

Other than that, your internet article nails it. o_O

main-qimg-8e7067a32e3697682e6f6a7a93c5a937-c.jpg

Last edited:
Oddball, do you believe the Earth's magnetic field keeps our water and atmosphere from flying off into space? Let's try an experiment. Fill a glass with water. If you like, it can be a very small glass and a very small amount of water. Take your strongest refrigerator magnet off the refrigerator. Your standard refrigerator magnet is thousands of times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field but if you have stronger magnets out in the garage (from an old hard drive or for collecting nails), feel free to use them. Place the magnet on the bottom of the glass. Turn the glass upside down. What does the water do?

Now repeat the experiment with no magnet. Any difference? Now put the magnet on TOP of the glass and repeat. Any difference?

That was truth Frank. A magnet off your refrigerator has thousands to times more magnetic intensity than does the Earth. Have you ever seen any atmospheric effects around your refrigerator? Perhaps the magnets are what keeps the inside cool.

Earth magnetic field has NO EFFECT on our climate? That's your "science"?

Oddball, do you believe the Earth's magnetic field keeps our water and atmosphere from flying off into space? Let's try an experiment. Fill a glass with water. If you like, it can be a very small glass and a very small amount of water. Take your strongest refrigerator magnet off the refrigerator. Your standard refrigerator magnet is thousands of times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field but if you have stronger magnets out in the garage (from an old hard drive or for collecting nails), feel free to use them. Place the magnet on the bottom of the glass. Turn the glass upside down. What does the water do?

Now repeat the experiment with no magnet. Any difference? Now put the magnet on TOP of the glass and repeat. Any difference?

Crick, now you are cornfusing these people with actual experimental science such as that used to test and confirm or disprove theories for thousands of years! I think there must be a rule against that somewhere here. o_O

Forum List

Back