Does Breast Cancer belong in the NFL?

Interesting bullshit ad homs against me, rather than addressing the topic.

I wonder how many of you doing the pile-on here defended guys like Dennis Kucinich -and rightly so- for not wearing a goofy flag lapel pin, as a lame-assed totem that supposedly showed how patriotic you are.

Flag pin = Faux patrotism.

Pink ribbons = REAL compassion an concern.

The intellectual fraudulence here is truly astounding.

And don't EVEN try to play that "but this is different" bullshit, because it isn't.

I wonder how many of you doing the pile-on here defended guys like Dennis Kucinich -and rightly so- for not wearing a goofy flag lapel pin, as a lame-assed totem that supposedly showed how patriotic you are.

And don't EVEN try to play that "but this is different" bullshit, because it isn't.
We get it. You think breast cancer awareness is PCism. Ass.

Absolutely they are different. One has a political bent, the other medical. Poles apart, and if you can't see that you are either being deliberately obtuse or are a neocon...take your pick...

I think its cool when people wear a flag pin.

What is lame is when people are criticized for not wearing a flag pin.

Bingo.

Dude (as in Dude the person) everytime you post in this thread, all you're doing is this:

:dig:

I would recommend just admitting you were wrong.

Governor Signs Bill Designating February as Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month

Any time we have the opportunity to raise awareness about a particular disease its very important says Assemblywoman Mary Pat Angelini, one of the sponsors of the legislation.

She says this legislation will highlight ovarian cancer each February giving people an opportunity to learn more about the symptoms of the disease.

New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio

:lol:

:clap2:

A guy who thinks all general welfare assistance should be in the form of private charity pitching a toddler-esque fit about a private charity's attempt to solicit donations.

:lol:

We get it. You think breast cancer awareness is PCism. Ass.
Wrong....I think they get away with exclusively focusing on breast cancer, and disgiusing their panhandling campaign under the flimsy rubric of "awareness", exactly because of the reaction you and the onter usual suspect scolds around here have had by my questioning it. Which itself is a mere microcosm of what the given NFL or MLB administrators would've had to suffer, had they had the temerity to say no.....Like I said, it's all about the politics.

And if you think I just blundered into this controversial topic by accident, then you know even less than you though you knew about me, wench.

Wrong....I think they get away with exclusively focusing on breast cancer, and disguising...

:blahblah:

Message from the Commissioner

For the National Football League, the game of football is about more than making plays on the field. It is about making them off the field as well. Our commitment to fans and the communities that support us does not end when the final seconds tick off the game clock. For NFL teams and players, service is a fundamental responsibility that has grown over the decades. It is reflected in many ways.

It is NFL teams and players reaching out through NFL Charities, the non-profit foundation that grants nearly $10 million each year towards such initiatives as the league’s commitment to the health and fitness of the next generation and to new research in the field of sports medicine. It is the NFL’s proud partnership with the USO in support of our nation’s troops overseas, which is now in its fifth decade. It is the growing number of NFL Youth Education Towns (YET), each a permanent legacy of the Super Bowl, with each YET serving as a safe place where young people can learn and grow. It is the national public service television campaign with the United Way promoting volunteerism, now in its 35th year. It is also the unwavering commitment to the health and well-being of the retired players who built our sport.

During the season, many players spend their day off working in communities, a tradition known as “NFL Tuesdays.” Players volunteer each week at local schools, shelters, and hospitals, helping out in ways large and small. Each year, the NFL conducts a national league-wide day of service known as “Hometown Huddle” on a Tuesday in October.

The NFL has long been about football, community, and kids. We hope that you will join the NFL, our teams, and players in reaching out
and strengthening communities throughout the country. We appreciate your support.

Roger Goodell
NFL Commissioner
President, NFL Charities

https://www.jointheteam.com/programs/programs.asp?c=6

Statement of Our Donations Policy

Getting involved and giving back to the community is very important to the NFL, and it is something that we do throughout each year.

Unfortunately, the NFL is not able to donate items for auctions, school events and other charitable functions due to an overwhelming number of requests.

NFL Charities provides more than $8 million in grants each year to a variety of national non-profit organizations. This funding supplements the extensive local community service work of our 32 teams and their players.

We recommend that you inquire with your local NFL team through their website, as all 32 clubs try to honor such requests from within their communities.

We applaud your efforts to support your community and wish you much success in your philanthropic endeavors.

Medical Research Grants

Through NFL Charities, the National Football League demonstrates its commitment to supporting medical research and enhancing the body of scientific knowledge that will ultimately benefit all who are actively involved in competitive sports and recreational athletic activities.

This funding is available for non-profit educational and research institutions within the United States of America. For-profit enterprises are not eligible to apply in this grant category.

The deadline for submissions was May 8, 2009. Please visit us next spring for the 2010 grant application link.

NFL Disaster Relief Fund

Immediately following the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2001, the National Football League (NFL) and the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) jointly responded to this tragedy by establishing a $10 million NFL Disaster Relief Fund.

The first phase of grant money from this Disaster Relief Fund was distributed in the initial months following 9/11/01. The focus of those grants primarily were on assistance to those who lost loved ones in the attacks, as well as helping the fire, police and rescue workers who responded to the disaster.

Phase II of the fund’s investment was made in September 2003, with nearly $5.5 million in aid being distributed for the education, training and betterment of those directly and indirectly affected by 9/11.

In September 2003, the NFL/NFLPA Disaster Relief Fund Board voted to direct the third and final phase of the fund’s investment to develop a cultural tolerance and diversity education curriculum geared towards America’s youth.

The NFL teamed up with Scholastic Inc., the leading provider of learning products for children, and Facing History, an organization that offers educators an innovative, interdisciplinary approach to the teaching of citizenship, to create the curriculum “One World: Connecting Communities, Cultures and Classroom.”

The hope is that "One World" will be used by schools, youth organizations and families to promote dialogue on current world issues, cultural tolerance and the celebration of American diversity.

Apparently Dude is convinced that women control the NFL and call the shots. Kind of like how the Jews run the world...ah, conspiracy theories, where would we be without them?

As I said.. Were this a once a year thing in an attempt to get money, you'd have a point.

It's not. It's an ongoing thing.. 24/7/365.

You're wrong.

I'm betting you don't mind all the beer commercials, and half naked women promoting what *they're* selling.

I'm not going to stay here and argue, so feel free to have the last word.

Breast cancer "charade".

Wow.

Dis, considering all the other potentially life-threatening conditions that exist (some of which are very prevalent), do you consider an entire month dedicated to breast cancer to be too little, too much or about right?

You say that as if you believe it is a federally mandated month. It isn't.

I'm sure you'll complain about each and every one of the awareness months on this list.

Awareness Months | Socyberty

I say what as if I believe it's mandated? What gave you that impression? I'm just asking a question Ravi. What's your problem?

What makes you sure I'll complain about every one of these months?

& Without a hint of irony,
a few hours later...we'll find Dude bemoaning the government getting involved in any health care, how research and funding and charity and motivations and concerns should all come from the private sector.

Then come back here to spit on pink ribbons and efforts to save lives and the millions raised when an private organization organizes of their own volition to do just that & help the cause.

Just leave his gd football of irony alone!
No, that's NOT what he's saying.

What he's saying is, "Awareness Months" can be presented in certain ways that kinda "guilt trip" the average person, especially commercially. For example, the NFL thing. Lots of people love football. So, if they see their favorite players wearing pink, its subliminally "forcing" them to also get on the "cause" bandwagon. Some of them may just be doing it to look good!

If it was some 400-pound man in nothing but dirty tighty-whities with fearless fly glasses and acne all over his face telling people to donate, people probably wouldn't be as inclined to do it, even though he may feel genuine about fighting breast cancer.

He's "whining" about commercialization of charity (and rightly so), not about charity or issues themselves.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back