Does anyone think it was a mistake?

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
To accept foreign aid for Katrina?

Sure we give trillions in aid, but should we accept aid?

Does that make us less of a Great Country?
Does it lessen us in the eyes of the world?

Our population has poured massive amounts of money into relief, more than enough.

I'm torn on this, but for the most part, I think accepting aid was a mistake.
For me, it's a sad day that the USA accepts aid.

What do you folks think..

Mr. P said:
To accept foreign aid for Katrina?

Sure we give trillions in aid, but should we accept aid?

Does that make us less of a Great Country?
Does it lessen us in the eyes of the world?

Our population has poured massive amounts of money into relief, more than enough.

I'm torn on this, but for the most part, I think accepting aid was a mistake.
For me, it's a sad day that the USA accepts aid.

What do you folks think..

No. There is something good about others giving and our receiving, graciously. I think that SOME of the people in LA should mind that lesson.

I think the more gracious thing to do is not to give towards a noble cause. That is pretty much expected. What is more gracious and indicitive of a great society is one that accepts help as readily as it gives. It is the society that admits its shortcomings and accepts help that is great, as long as it uses that aid to ensure that it will not need more.

If a nation cannot graciously receive help from other nations willing to give with outstretched arms, it will not be a matter of national importance or strength, but will lie on arrogance and pride.

I am impressed and deeply satisfied with how the US has accepted foreign aid graciously for Katrina, especially in regards to my own country. I hope it serves its purpose well.

Though I do think that the US has perhaps missed an opportunity to build bridges with lesser friendly nations who have offered aid, such as Cuba. When no strings are attached, I cannot see why goodwill would be turned down over politics. If the situations were reversed, I believe the US would have provided aid.

dilloduck said:
Accept it and make our appreciation to each individual country heard loudly, clearly and universally.

Absolutely!! We have done so much over the years, gladly and without complaint, to help others in their times of great need. Now it is entirely fitting and proper that other countries, gladly and without complaint, want to help us in this great national disaster that has befallen us. It is a tribute to them - and to us.

its good to get once in a while. it helps get the financial burden off us once in a great while.

Forum List

Back