Does anyone have a problem with the reading of the US Constitution on the record

Should the US constitution be read into the record at the beginning of a Cong. sess.

• Total voters
Republicans promised that with every bill they introduced this session they would attach how the Constitution plays a part in it.
The 1st bill they offered was to do away with the health care bill.
And they forgot to add the Constitution part to it.
LOL, oh well, let's read the Constitution as the deficit goes up another 1.9 billion a day while they waste our time.
Smile, your on CANDID CAMERA.

How can you add the Constitution part when what they are trying to repeal isn't Constitutional in the first place.:eusa_whistle::lol:

Publicity stunt? Political theatre? Meaningless? Of course.

Problem with it? Nah, not really.

It really is a sad day in America when people actually think reading the countitution is meaningless and a Publicity stunt

No Bigreb. It's a sad day in America when people can think this was anything but a publicity stunt.

You and I are at an impasse. I say you're wrong and you say I'm wrong. The deciding factor, is it Constitutional to do it. Yes it is, and it's good for America to hear those words so I see no harm in it, even if you think it was a stunt.

Last edited:
its come to my attention that some on the left view congress reading the constitution into record as a solely a publicity stunt and should not be done

what say you?
I think elevating the constitution to a sort of biblical mythological document is stupid, just like uber-nationalism is stupid.

It's a set of rules that they should attempt to follow, not worship.

And yes, they did it for showmanship...so they are USING as a TOOL what they pretend to worship.

its come to my attention that some on the left view congress reading the constitution into record as a solely a publicity stunt and should not be done

what say you?

They should read it every day until these assholes can recite it.
My only issue is they should read the entire thing, not leaving out the bad/stupid stuff.

Maybe it reminded some of the delusional wingnuts there that the INTENT of the Constitution was to have a strong central government, not some Balkanized mess of mini-countries like some of the 'nuts think.

A strong central government that is ruled by the people, not the elite. Aren't you one of those people that think the founders are liberals?

Would that that were true.

But the nature of a REPUBLIC means that either the people running were already the elite, or they join the elite when they assume office.

And, as ought to be apparent, once an elite cadre takes power, they seldom give it up gracefully, and are much more likely to see to it that their children and allies become the next generation of the elite, too.

Looks at Washington (or possibly even your local governments) and tell me that the same names aren't frequently in positions of power.

And then look for their family members of those, and what will you find?

Well, you'll find things like Collin's kid running the FCC (in to the ground) or multiple members of the same elite families occupying the White House and governors positions, seats in congress, or high ranking positions in the bureaucracies, etc.

WE see this is BOTH Parties, I note.

what say you?
I think elevating the constitution to a sort of biblical mythological document is stupid, just like uber-nationalism is stupid.

It's a set of rules that they should attempt to follow, not worship.

And yes, they did it for showmanship...so they are USING as a TOOL what they pretend to worship.

That document protects your rights and freedoms. It's the directions on how this country is suppoed to be run. Without it you would have a dictatorship, or Anarchy.

Republicans promised that with every bill they introduced this session they would attach how the Constitution plays a part in it.
LOL, oh well, let's read the Constitution as the deficit goes up another 1.9 billion a day while they waste our time.

How can you add the Constitution part when what they are trying to repeal isn't Constitutional in the first place.:eusa_whistle::lol:

Ask them reb.
The Republicans vowed to make it a requirement in December that EVERY BILL has to cite a specific constitutional authority.
That is verbatim from them.
Note: "EVERY BILL"
NOT, some bills, bills introduced on Monday and Friday, bills after acigarette break, bills after a holiday, bills that we do not feel like but
"EVERY BILL".
If you do not like their rules reb change parties, be a real conservative and vote for liberty.

Ask them reb.
The Republicans vowed to make it a requirement in December that EVERY BILL has to cite a specific constitutional authority.
That is verbatim from them.
Note: "EVERY BILL"
NOT, some bills, bills introduced on Monday and Friday, bills after acigarette break, bills after a holiday, bills that we do not feel like but
"EVERY BILL".
If you do not like their rules reb change parties, be a real conservative and vote for liberty.

Conservative+liberal equal statist. They both want the samething but for differant reasons.

what say you?

Of course it was a publicity stunt.

Could they try to read the legislation before they pass it/filibuster it instead?

I assume they already read the constitution and I certainly don't need it read to me.

I think that's an incorrect assumption. I don't think it even crosses the minds of a lot of congressmen, especially on the left, to even consider whether the legislation the write in support is constitutional and I would be willing to bet very few know the constitution well. I just don't think most of them understand that a major part of their job is defending that document.

Yes, a publicity stunt.
They edited out the parts they thought would be embarrassing, like that certain people would be 3/5 of a person, and the 18th Amendment which brought us Prohibition.

I can see the point in skipping over anything that's not currently in force. No sense confusing all those people who really, really needed it read to them. ;)

well, but then it takes away their chance to use the race card and slavery to full advantage.

"Add" the Constitution?

Add the cite of constitutional authority for every bill introduced.
Every bill.
They added that to their own rules and first bill out they forgot to cite what constitutional authority.

"Add" the Constitution?

Every bill.
They added that to their own rules and first bill out they forgot to cite what constitutional authority.

You aren't paying attention. They cited the constitution. They said the bill was unconstitutional. I got it.

I think it's safe to say anyone who thinks the reading of the Constitution was cheap doesn't have any use for the limits placed on govermment that the Constitution stands for.

Where were they when the largest social program in 70 years was passed?
Ya know Moe? The one that will bankrupt us.
Gramps and Grannies Prescription Dope Plan.
Where were all these Constitutional Scholars on the Republican side of the aisle when a REPUBLICAN Congress passed that? On a cigarrette break having a brain fart?
Few know what a conservative is in the real world these days. Limits placed on government?:lol: What Republican in office has a clue about what that requires?

"Add" the Constitution?

Every bill.

You aren't paying attention. They cited the constitution. They said the bill was unconstitutional. I got it.

You talk like a politician. Very good show.
Specifically. Their rule states "require a SPECIFIC Constitutional authority in every bill introduced."
I am paying attention. You are dancing around the facts like a monkey on fire.

Every bill.

You talk like a politician. Very good show.
Specifically. Their rule states "require a SPECIFIC Constitutional authority in every bill introduced."
I am paying attention. You are dancing around the facts like a monkey on fire.

the specific constitutional authority is that it is unconstitutional, in other words,,, let's talk slow,, the is no basis for the health care bill that is in the constitution,, that makes it unconstitutional. There. ya got it now?

I'm sensing that some of us are of the opinion that regardless of who is doing it, this kind of political theater is an insult to our intelligence.

It's nice to agree with people with whom I seldom agree.

So kudos to the Rs for giving us at least one thing we can agree on.

Enough with this silly theater meant (I suppose) to prove how much you love the constitution.

None of us with a brain are impresed.

Just get on with doing the people's business and stop screwing around.

barack obama 1/27/2010 said:
"We find unity in our incredible diversity, drawing on the promise enshrined in our Constitution: the notion that we are all created equal..."

Seems to me that had the Constitution been required reading in the past, our President might not have confused it with the Declaration of Independence.

barack obama 1/27/2010 said:
"We find unity in our incredible diversity, drawing on the promise enshrined in our Constitution: the notion that we are all created equal..."

Seems to me that had the Constitution been required reading in the past, our President might not have confused it with the Declaration of Independence.

Awful astute for a constitutional scholar ain't it? lol

I think it should be read 2 or 3 times a year, in both houses, to remind all of the members what they swore to "support and defend" when they took the job.

Its probably just a publicity stunt but it sure can't hurty anything.

I t might just do some good to remind the Clowns in Congress what they are supposed to be "supporting and defending."

Works for me.

Forum List

Back