Does anyone have a problem with the reading of the US Constitution on the record

Should the US constitution be read into the record at the beginning of a Cong. sess.

• Total voters

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
its come to my attention that some on the left view congress reading the constitution into record as a solely a publicity stunt and should not be done

what say you?

its come to my attention that some on the left view congress reading the constitution into record as a solely a publicity stunt and should not be done

what say you?

Of course it was a publicity stunt.

Could they try to read the legislation before they pass it/filibuster it instead?

I assume they already read the constitution and I certainly don't need it read to me.

Of course it's a publicity stunt. Does that mean it's a problem? Not really. Most of what happens on the House and Senate floor is a publicity stunt for the cameras. What's one more?

I think that the next time someone filibusters, they should read the Constitution.

In fact, if they want to filibuster long time, they should read the US Constitution and all of the other national constitutions throughout the world...then DISCUSS.

No, I have no problem with them doing it.

That's not to say that this shallow symbolism is nothing more than a redundant waste of time pandering to people's ideals of responsible governance, by politicians who need to foist that facade of giving a shit about it, whenever possible. But whatever.

I think that the next time someone filibusters, they should read the Constitution.

In fact, if they want to filibuster long time, they should read the US Constitution and all of the other national constitutions throughout the world...then DISCUSS.

Fucking excellent! :clap2::clap2:

Well so far the demonRats who have responded to this thread think the reading of the constitution is a publicity stunt. I personally enjoyed it. I pulled out my pocket constitution and followed along. My only objection is that it was so broken up with calling each person to cite about three sentences..I wish they would just have read the constitiution but I'm glad to see the demonrats have read it. that's good to know.

oh, and it's kewl too the jjj pulled the race card first thing. rolled outta bed laughing.

Of course it's a publicity stunt. Does that mean it's a problem? Not really. Most of what happens on the House and Senate floor is a publicity stunt for the cameras. What's one more?

Well of course it is..

They seem to completely miss all the stuff about levying taxes to pay down debts. Because one of the rule changes was to take tax cuts out of the mix when figuring out budgets.

Even the most "real" conservative business person doesn't do that..

I could just see it.

Gosh..lets cut the price on our product. Doesn't affect revenue in the slightest.

Yes, well, if you must filibuster that would be the classy way to do it.

Yes, well, if you must filibuster that would be the classy way to do it.

At least they would ACTUALLY be filibustering, like back in the day.

Get out the phonebook! :lol:

what say you?

Welll in retrospect from the last two years where some elected offical were caught on tape saying the constitution doesn't matter to them I think it goood to have the constitution read, so they will be reminded what it is they are supposed to protect. After all they do take an oath to protect abd defend the Constitution

what say you?
Yeah....I guess we wouldn't want to rush the 'Bagger-candidates into doing anything productive, this early.

:rolleyes:

"Garrett Epps writes today that if Tea Party Republicans really listen to the Constitution, they will quickly realize that "the document they are hearing is nationalistic, not state-oriented; concerned with giving Congress power, not taking it away; forward-looking, not nostalgic for the past; aimed [at] creating a new government that can solve new problems, not freezing in place an old one that must fold its hands while the nation declines." So long as there are fair-minded judges on the bench, the Constitution will be read for what it actually says, and not what any one results-oriented group or faction wants it to be."

Last edited:
Yes, a publicity stunt.
They edited out the parts they thought would be embarrassing, like that certain people would be 3/5 of a person, and the 18th Amendment which brought us Prohibition.

Forum List

Back