Does anyone else have trouble following quotes in posted replies?

monkrules

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2017
It’s often helpful to go through quotes contained in a reply in order to understand a member’s point of view when he responds to a thread. But following the quotes can be confusing.

At present, all of the lines tying a quote together: the name of the person being quoted, the line extending down to the quoted material, and the line surrounding the quoted statement, all use the same pale green color.

Then every other quote included uses the very same shit green color.

When there are more than a couple of quotes contained in a member’s reply, it gets difficult to follow the ownership, and sequence, of the quoted material. That is, it quickly becomes difficult to tell who made which statement. Everything is muddled because every quote is outlined in the very same green color.

It would be FAR easier to follow quoted material in a member’s reply if each quote were outlined in a different color.

For instance, the first quote might use the present shit-green color.
Second quote could use pale yellow for the lines surrounding quoted material.
Third quote might use pale orange.
fourth quote could be surrounded in soft red. etc.

Can the USMB powers that be contact the sofware developer to request such a change (improvement)? If they agree with the idea, that is.

Highlight and delete the former quotes and preserve the ones you want to reply to. You're welcome.

Here's what I do.

On my phone, I highlight the person I'm quoting. THEN I hit reply.

Do this and you'll eliminate all those you're NOT quoting.

I wish that would catch on.

often helpful to go through quotes contained in a reply in order to understand a member’s point of view when he responds to a thread. But following the quotes can be confusing
THIS is an example of what I'm talking about.

I quoted only you, and only a portion.

Try it.

I guess I didn’t express myself well in my original post. I don’t have any problem choosing the quote, or part of a quote that I want to respond to. I just highlight the desired part of a post as you all do.
====
In my OP I was talking about when a lot of qoutes are contained in a members reply to a thread. It is often difficult to tell who said what because all of the qoutes are outlined in lines of the same color. You have ALL of the names of the people quoted at the very top of the reply, but their quoted material is placed far below their name — and all of the connecting lines are the same color.

I’ve included a screenshot of an expanded post to show what I’m talking about. Sometimes there are so many qoutes, or the qoutes are so long, that they go off-screen. This is where connecting lines of different colors could help keep track of who said what. Hope that makes sense. I'm talking about trying to follow the history of what the member is replying to.

This wouldn't be necessary if everyone included ONLY the sentence or paragraph they meant to reply to. But many members do not know, or don't bother to highlight only the portion they are taking issue with.

USMB quotes.png

I guess I didn’t express myself well in my original post. I don’t have any problem choosing the quote, or part of a quote that I want to respond to. I just highlight the desired part of a post as you all do.
====
In my OP I was talking about when a lot of qoutes are contained in a members reply to a thread. It is often difficult to tell who said what because all of the qoutes are outlined in lines of the same color. You have ALL of the names of the people quoted at the very top of the reply, but their quoted material is placed far below their name — and all of the connecting lines are the same color.

I’ve included a screenshot of an expanded post to show what I’m talking about. Sometimes there are so many qoutes, or the qoutes are so long, that they go off-screen. This is where connecting lines of different colors could help keep track of who said what. Hope that makes sense. I'm talking about trying to follow the history of what the member is replying to.

This wouldn't be necessary if everyone included ONLY the sentence or paragraph they meant to reply to. But many members do not know, or don't bother to highlight only the portion they are taking issue with.

View attachment 168558
The only answer is to teach others to take the few seconds to do it right. I think everyone understood, but there is nothing you can do about another's laziness, just your own response.

Probably easier than getting someone to color code each response.

If everyone did what I do, there'd be no trouble following quotes.

Last edited:
The only answer is to teach others to take the few seconds to do it right. I think everyone understood, but there is nothing you can do about another's laziness, just your own response.

Probably easier than getting someone to color code each response.

If everyone did what I do, there'd be no trouble following quotes.
Yeah, I guess you're right.

I do the same thing you do. I include only the exact part of a quote I am responding to.

This makes everything cleaner and easier for everyone.

Here's what I do.

I wish there was a better platform supporting this board. This really is a mess.

Here's what I do.

That's how I do as well.

Does not work on this Samsung Galaxy 7" Android OS? I have tried a just now.....and many other ways.

Other posts always collapse if you want to see entire tree. I will try what you suggest on PC someday.

Last edited:

Does not work on this Samsung Galaxy 7" Android OS? I have tried a just now.....and many other ways.
Doesn't work on my Mac, either. I have to go through all the quotes and carefully delete the ones I don't want to include in my post.

But it's worth it. The resulting post is cleaner and easier to read.

I have an android.

Just hold your finger tip over one of the words until the word is highlighted and has those two blue "handles." Drag the handles with your fingertip over the words you want to quote, then release. Quote and reply will pop up under the highlighted text. Hit reply. The text and the author will be all you'll quote.

Here's a vid for iphone. Pretty similar.

I have an android.

Just hold your finger tip over one of the words until the word is highlighted and has those two blue "handles." Drag the handles with your fingertip over the words you want to quote, then release. Quote and reply will pop up under the highlighted text. Hit reply. The text and the author will be all you'll quote.

Here's a vid for iphone. Pretty similar.

I can highlight (as you say) but when I hit reply (near highlight, or big reply button) nothing happens? same for quotes?

I can highlight/copy to clipboard. But then I lose sender.

Color, highlight, text size...never seems to work on this thing?

Maybe this one is older bad OS? It is not a phone. Phone is so small? All touch screens are touchy and fat finger issues too. No where to scroll. And I am lazy. I don't want to learn or work at this thing. See I can copy...."Drag the handles with your fingertip over"......

Also, to Monk. Sometimes "they" complain if you only pull parts of a post.

Last edited:
It’s often helpful to go through quotes contained in a reply in order to understand a member’s point of view when he responds to a thread. But following the quotes can be confusing.

At present, all of the lines tying a quote together: the name of the person being quoted, the line extending down to the quoted material, and the line surrounding the quoted statement, all use the same pale green color.

When there are more than a couple of quotes contained in a member’s reply, it gets difficult to follow the ownership, and sequence, of the quoted material. That is, it quickly becomes difficult to tell who made which statement. Everything is muddled because every quote is outlined in the very same green color.

It would be FAR easier to follow quoted material in a member’s reply if each quote were outlined in a different color.

Can the USMB powers that be contact the sofware developer to request such a change (improvement)? If they agree with the idea, that is.

I always put quotes in italics with quotation marks, add spacing and give a link when appropriate.

I think Dark Fury should address this issue in his law suit. :)

The Board is too small, how can I enlarge it enough to read?

Also, to Monk. Sometimes "they" complain if you only pull parts of a post.
That's true.

But I'll continue quoting only the sentence or paragraph I'm addressing in a reply because it makes it so much easier to follow the 'conversation'.

It cleans up the board immediately when people edit quoted material rather than including multiple quotes and loads of irrelevant material

I think everyone has been annoyed by this system. No other forum I’ve been on has this antiquated method.
But the mods are as anal as can be with everything that happens here.
Don’t expect any changes or improvements.

Forum List

Back