Taking Troubling Trolls To Task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humorme

Silver Member
Aug 4, 2017
Troll: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

Definition of TROLL

Virtually all discussion boards have become the exclusive property of trolls. Just like talk radio is dominated by the right and the liberal left own tv news, the trolls have captured the discussion boards.

Give the devil their due. Your average troll is cunning and sly. They tend to hang on boards where a majority of moderators think like they do on subject matter. That way, they can push the envelope and most can get by saying and doing things that would get the average poster banned. Trolling becomes the profession of some posters.

I have run ins with them, even here, wherein they have tens of thousands of posts. So, when they stalk an average poster, it's almost difficult for a moderator to detect. Since the pro has the time and inclination, they can stalk and troll one or two posters at a time, plus post on other threads so as to make it all but impossible for a moderator to figure it out... AND allow the troll's fellow thinkers who moderate posts to allow the troll to get away with what they're doing.

If moderators like to babysit and protect the trolls, that is their business. OTOH, one discussion board warned its members:

"Just a reminder that thread topics focused on personally attacking other members constitutes flaming, and will be quarantined."

Some boards allow you to argue about off - topic matter and even flame other posters provided you add something to the thread. This does not take away from the fact that the off topic flame and the attempt to draw someone out and force them to address the troll in a manner inconsistent with the rules is not entertaining (except to the trolls) and it is not educational. It drives the average poster off the thread and it ends in a few whizzing contests on a thread that then gives moderators a pretext for reprimanding the average poster and / or locking the thread down.

The way moderators could help is to watch the trolls... even the people they like and are helping to spread the same political sentiments. If those trolls are helping to get threads locked down and then immediately following other posters onto other threads and subtly starting a whizzing contest with a poster from a previous thread, it might be time to acknowledge the troll, warn them and ban them if necessary.

My position is a simple one: Just like the fallout from the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault scandal began, one day the trolls will get on the wrong side of history and be exposed one by one. And, they will be dealt with. History proves that the one constant is change. One day those who are anonymous trolls will be identified and exposed. Those who enable them will receive the wrath of the people as well. Being victimized by dedicated trolls, but wanting to face them in person, I'm committed to bringing down trolls. In the alternative, I'd settle for that moment where someone can tell us how to identify these obnoxious misfits and hold them personally accountable. If the management of boards will listen to the complaints about trolling and counsel the individual trolls, it may make the situation tolerable for a time. The one thing I'd like to see is a troll confronted, face to face, and the encounter posted on social media, YouTube, etc.

Ignore is your friend. In really contentious threads I will often see less than half of the posts and I am far from the only one here with that problem

Trolls will rue the day they ever crossed your path. :lol:

I think I see your problem here.

Somehow, you are under the impression that moderators and trolls are two different groups of people.

Trolls will rue the day they ever crossed your path. :lol:
Oh, I feel so worried! The ANTI troll is here. He's going to miracle his ass to the top. This is A&F so I will be kind.

Dear OP
You have stepped into a battle of another dimension and to quote some rather wise words.
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll!

Fury

Troll: to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content

Definition of TROLL

Virtually all discussion boards have become the exclusive property of trolls. Just like talk radio is dominated by the right and the liberal left own tv news, the trolls have captured the discussion boards.

Give the devil their due. Your average troll is cunning and sly. They tend to hang on boards where a majority of moderators think like they do on subject matter. That way, they can push the envelope and most can get by saying and doing things that would get the average poster banned. Trolling becomes the profession of some posters.

I have run ins with them, even here, wherein they have tens of thousands of posts. So, when they stalk an average poster, it's almost difficult for a moderator to detect. Since the pro has the time and inclination, they can stalk and troll one or two posters at a time, plus post on other threads so as to make it all but impossible for a moderator to figure it out... AND allow the troll's fellow thinkers who moderate posts to allow the troll to get away with what they're doing.

If moderators like to babysit and protect the trolls, that is their business. OTOH, one discussion board warned its members:

"Just a reminder that thread topics focused on personally attacking other members constitutes flaming, and will be quarantined."

Some boards allow you to argue about off - topic matter and even flame other posters provided you add something to the thread. This does not take away from the fact that the off topic flame and the attempt to draw someone out and force them to address the troll in a manner inconsistent with the rules is not entertaining (except to the trolls) and it is not educational. It drives the average poster off the thread and it ends in a few whizzing contests on a thread that then gives moderators a pretext for reprimanding the average poster and / or locking the thread down.

The way moderators could help is to watch the trolls... even the people they like and are helping to spread the same political sentiments. If those trolls are helping to get threads locked down and then immediately following other posters onto other threads and subtly starting a whizzing contest with a poster from a previous thread, it might be time to acknowledge the troll, warn them and ban them if necessary.

My position is a simple one: Just like the fallout from the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault scandal began, one day the trolls will get on the wrong side of history and be exposed one by one. And, they will be dealt with. History proves that the one constant is change. One day those who are anonymous trolls will be identified and exposed. Those who enable them will receive the wrath of the people as well. Being victimized by dedicated trolls, but wanting to face them in person, I'm committed to bringing down trolls. In the alternative, I'd settle for that moment where someone can tell us how to identify these obnoxious misfits and hold them personally accountable. If the management of boards will listen to the complaints about trolling and counsel the individual trolls, it may make the situation tolerable for a time. The one thing I'd like to see is a troll confronted, face to face, and the encounter posted on social media, YouTube, etc.

TL; DR

iu

This is USMB, what other discussion boards do isn't much cared about. :coffee:

Ignore is your friend. In really contentious threads I will often see less than half of the posts and I am far from the only one here with that problem

There is a problem with the ignore feature:

I used it once and the troll began posting my personal information. I was none the wiser until I had quoted some guy that was talking about me only to find out he was responding to a troll that had just posted personal content.

I think I see your problem here.

Somehow, you are under the impression that moderators and trolls are two different groups of people.

I have long suspected that is exactly the case. Otherwise, it don't make sense that mods allow the same people to go from one thread to another, picking board fights.

That was obvious with the troll wannabe that tried to tell me this is USMB and they don't care what is done on other boards. It's the same crap on all boards! If I singled USMB out, it would amount to questioning moderation. They're slick. For their other fellow trolls and mods who reserve the board to cater to a single demographic: One day someone will figure out how to obtain the personal details on all posters and the trolls will get exposed.

Technology is always changing.

Definition of TROLL

So basically youre threatening to dox people. Got it...

As a computer-illiterate senior citizen, I have never understood the term "troll."

The OP gave a definition of someone who posts "offensive" material.

I do not understand that definition.

If A says that she likes to jog, and B says that he thinks jogging is crazy, then I guess that A could find B's comment "offensive." Does that make B a troll?

I thought that a forum was a place where people can freely express their honest views (in a civil manner, of course).

If everyone has the same point of view, then what is the purpose of a forum?

As a computer-illiterate senior citizen, I have never understood the term "troll."

The OP gave a definition of someone who posts "offensive" material.

I do not understand that definition.

If A says that she likes to jog, and B says that he thinks jogging is crazy, then I guess that A could find B's comment "offensive." Does that make B a troll?

I thought that a forum was a place where people can freely express their honest views (in a civil manner, of course).

If everyone has the same point of view, then what is the purpose of a forum?

What you said is a simple disagreement. A troll would follow up by calling you stupid, moron, etc. and / or keep the dialogue going between you and that poster that leads to cheap shots, veiled threats, outright threats, insults, etc.

Definition of TROLL

I think that is the first stage. I want to see what these trolls do when confronted by the people they screwed with. What happens when the troll who has posted someone's personal information and threatened that poster now comes face to face with them and it's all on camera?

What happens when these guys who have tens of thousands of posts and a couple of hundred posters sick of their crap now knowing who they are? Used to be an old saying: What goes around comes around.

My prediction here is that one day someone will know a troll and give up the info to a victim. Either the victim takes the troll to court AND / OR beats the beans out of them. Congress acts to make sure anonymity is limited in order to stop cyber bullying and then the professional trolls will be exposed.

Last edited:
OP comes here talking about doxxing people for trolling? :cuckoo:

While trolling may be somewhat against the rules, doxxing is absolutely against the rules, it's also illegal and can lead to civil and criminal penalties.

What is 'doxing'? (Yes, it is illegal!)

You could sue whatever website that happened to you at and win. (Provided you have proof).

Last edited:

Definition of TROLL

I think that is the first stage. I want to see what these trolls do when confronted by the people they screwed with. What happens when the troll who has posted someone's personal information and threatened that poster now comes face to face with them and it's all on camera?

What happens when these guys who have tens of thousands of posts and a couple of hundred posters sick of their crap now knowing who they are? Used to be an old saying: What goes around comes around.

My prediction here is that one day someone will know a troll and give up the info to a victim. Either the victim takes the troll to court AND / OR beats the beans out of them. Congress acts to make sure anonymity is limited in order to stop cyber bullying and then the professional trolls will be exposed.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'd hate to have misunderstood you.
Reported...

Could you please explain what "doxxing" means, Marion Morrison?

I have never heard that word.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back