Does a fetus have a soul?

edthecynic

Censored for Cynicism
Oct 20, 2008
Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul.​

Well, from this reading of that particular Scripture, it appears that the living soul is given when the first breathe is taken?

Last edited:
A "soul" is simply a person's incorporeal essence - his or her feelings, thoughts, perceptions, etc. Fetuses don't exactly possess these things, because as far as we can tell, they're incapable of abstract thought. What's important is that fetuses could potentially become human beings capable of abstract thought.

Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground,
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;
and man became a living soul.​

Talk about trying to split a frog hair five ways.

Wouldn't you conclude that Adam was a special case, considering he was formed and not born?

Perhaps my mother forgot to mention that God showed up in the delivery room do breathe a soul into me...but I can't imagine how something like that could have slipped her mind. :D

As an aside, why do the liberals take such delight in attempting to rename things, or is everyone who is pro-abortion (renamed pro-chioce) a doctor, nurse or medical student?

Next time you see a pregnant woman, walk up to her and ask "So, when is your fetus due?". :lol:

Last edited:
It certainly appears that way.

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart for my holy purpose. I appointed you to be a prophet to the nations."
Jeremiah 1:5

"For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb."
Luke 1:15

"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."
Psalm 139:13-16

BTW, this was an interesting read:

FOXNews.com - California Man 'Adopts' Wife's Two Aborted Children - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I set you apart for my holy purpose. I appointed you to be a prophet to the nations."

"For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb."

"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them."

FOXNews.com - California Man 'Adopts' Wife's Two Aborted Children - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

is a soul the same as the Spirit or Holy Spirit? No, right?

What is a soul?

It appears it exists before it was even conceived, at least for God's planned prophets per your scripture quotes? so did it or does ones soul live in another dimension or in heaven, before it occupies a human body?

I don't really know?

What is a soul?

It appears it exists before it was even conceived, at least for God's planned prophets per your scripture quotes? so did it or does ones soul live in another dimension or in heaven, before it occupies a human body?

I don't really know?

oh cmon---take a stab at it. We won't hold it against you if you're proven wrong again.

What is a soul?

I don't really know?

oh cmon---take a stab at it. We won't hold it against you if you're proven wrong again.

i dunno where i was proven wrong?

Why didnt Adam have a "living soul" when he was being formed? Did he have a soul that was "not living" before he was formed and had his first breath and was somewhere else in "waiting"?

Why didn't God KNOW Adam before he was formed as He knew Jeremiah and others before they were born as quoted in the Scripture xsisted quoted? Or DID He know him in another place before he put him here on earth?

I honestly do not know the answers to these questions Dillo and I honestly do not know how others know for certain, either.

Care

What is a soul?

I don't really know?

The soul is, of course, not the same as the Holy Spirit. There is certainly evidence in scripture that suggests the soul exists even before conception for everyone, not just prophets. That's why abortion is such a powerful issue for many religious people.

Well, from this reading of that particular Scripture, it appears that the living soul is given when the first breathe is taken?

Smartt: Not necessarily. Remember, Adam was the first, and there was not a time when he was an unborn baby (fetus). Notice that God did not breath into Eve, and make her a living soul. From Adam all souls began.

Yes, the fetus "IS" a living soul.

What is a soul?

I don't really know?

I believe we all lived in Heaven and are sent to Earth to become more like God, by learning what it is to be mortal. And to test us with free will.

Smartt: Not necessarily. Remember, Adam was the first, and there was not a time when he was an unborn baby (fetus). Notice that God did not breath into Eve, and make her a living soul. From Adam all souls began.

Yes, the fetus "IS" a living soul.

NOT necessarily Smart.

The Bible in Genesis 1 says that both male and female were made in the image of God.

The Bible in Genesis 2 says that Eve was made out of Adam's rib.

There are some "lost Books of the Bible" that have been found this past century on many tales, that speaks of Lillith being the first female...this coincides with Genesis 1....she and Adam struggled for power....she was EQUAL to Adam. Eventually Lilith left Adam but cursed him and all babies...Adam became loney, so God made him Eve out of his rib (metaphor)....

People feared Lillith (her spirit)....that was tormenting the Earth and killing their babies...(Infant sudden death syndrone, crib death)....and even to this day, though we do not know the facts, we as humans still remember Lilith...i heard on a documentary on the History channel that "lullaby", comes from gentle songs and prayers that parents sang to their babies for Lilith to pass bye and not kill their babies..."Lillith a vi"....means lilith be gone, lilith pass bye, thus lullaby....

The Bible is NOT a science book and was never meant to be a Science book and why some people think that the Bible is suppose to be a Science book is beyond me?

Care

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
Man, man with great knowledge(Modern man), homo sapiens, have been around for how long on our evolutionary scale? Homo erectus has been around for even longer.....this does not refute the Bible stories....

there was Man, in the garden, where he/she was a "Hunter /gatherer", he lived off of the uncultivated land, then man all of a sudden KNEW how to cultivate and became more "Godlike" by being able to control what the land reaped, through farming....this happened about 10,000 years ago, I believe, when we, as humans got in to agriculture....

The Bible speaks of this as well, with becoming MORE knowledgable...(by eating from the tree of all Knowledge of good and Evil, again a metaphor)

And the Bible speaks of humans no longer being hunters and gatherers in the garden because they were punished and thrown out, and it speaks of them now becoming cultivaters, farmers, toiling the soil for food.....

NONE of this contradicts the science on all of this...we were hunters and gathers and then we developed agriculture....we have man that was dumber, and we now have modern man, man with knowledge who can write and reason, second to none.

People need to OPEN THEIR MINDS and not try to hold the Bible to the level of a Science or Math book, it is more like a history book in a very general "story" form, writen in simple metaphors, regarding the big events of their lives imo.

Last edited:
Man, man with great knowledge(Modern man), homo sapiens, have been around for how long on our evolutionary scale? Homo erectus has been around for even longer.....this does not refute the Bible stories....

there was Man, in the garden, where he/she was a "Hunter /gatherer", he lived off of the uncultivated land, then man all of a sudden KNEW how to cultivate and became more "Godlike" by being able to control what the land reaped, through farming....this happened about 10,000 years ago, I believe, when we, as humans got in to agriculture....

The Bible speaks of this as well, with becoming MORE knowledgable...(by eating from the tree of all Knowledge and Evil, again a metaphor)

And the Bible speaks of humans no longer being hunters and gatherers in the garden because they were punished and thrown out, and it speaks of them now becoming cultivaters, farmers, toiling the soil for food.....

NONE of this contradicts the science on all of this...we were hunters and gathers and then we developed agriculture....we have man that was dumber, and we now have modern man, man with knowledge who can write and reason, second to none.

People need to OPEN THEIR MINDS and not try to hold the Bible to the level of a Science or Math book, it is more like a history book in a very general "story" form, writen in simple metaphors, regarding the big events of their lives imo.

That's my take on it as well, Care. I don't see them as being mutually exclusive at all. I guess it depends on how literally you decide to interpret the Bible.

Forum List

Back