Why is abortion a political question??

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by DC42, Apr 23, 2009.

1. DC42

DC42 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Why are people's decision on who to vote for decided by matters such as abortion??

Roe v. Wade (A woman's right to choose) was decided in 1973 by the Supreme Court!!! Presidents have absolutely no bearing on the decision for the reversal of Roe v. Wade!! So why is it considered such an important issue when voting for President??

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    Because it's been used as a wedge issue since 1973.

3. DC42

DC42 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Exactly!!! Politicians use this to take people's minds off of the real issues at hand and people still fall for this.... very naive people!!! My question is why do people continuously use this as a point of debate when discussing who to vote for for President??

4. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,215
    Because they appoint the Supreme Court justices. Bush put Alito & Roberts in. They would reverse Roe V Wade. That's why it was important a liberal win 2008 and 2012, because a couple more justices might retire.

And this is a great wedge issue. The GOP has nothing to offer middle class people financially. Anyone middle class voting GOP is voting against their own financial interests. They only think they are talking about them when the GOP talks about lowering taxes. The GOP means rich people's taxes. How does that help you? Well they say it'll trickle down on you. Has it?

So abortion is a great wedge issue. I know a lot of anti abortion people who know the GOP suck for them financially, but to them, abortion is the number one issue.

I hope they go broke, can't afford to have a child and then get knocked up.

Do you know how many anti abortion women have gotten an abortion themselves? Many. Hypocrites. And they'd do it again if they were in the same situation. But now they are a little older and it wouldn't ruin their life, so they have the luxury of being anti abortion. Mind your own business people.

5. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,215
    Because no matter how bad the GOP get, they're still the anti abortion party, and for some that's all that matters.

6. DC42

DC42 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6

I completely agree!!!! I knew that Presidents appoint supreme court justices!!! Most of the people who argue pro-life and use that as grounds for voting for a Republican President, don't even realize that 7 of the 9 current justices were appointed by Republican Presidents...if it hasnt' been overturned by now, its not going to be people!!!

I'm just trying to educate myself on why this is an issue!!! Or if I've been looking at this the wrong way!!!

7. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,215
    Oh they could undo it. They already restricted it, cut off federal aid for poor mothers to get abortions, which will cost more in welfare by the way, limit how many clinics are available (which has happened in some red states).

This may not be a key issue for me, but it is just another issue why I don't vote GOP. They talk about less government but then want to legislate morality, and then they are the least moral of us all. Hypocrites.

8. DC42

DC42 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Or educate someone else who's been being fooled by the GOP for the past 26 years!!! It happens all of us, I'm not immune myself!!!

Like it is said above, the GOP has absolutely nothing to offer the middle class financially so they turn to issues like this!!!

9. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    No, the President can't reverse it, but if there is enough popular support, it could possibly be reversed through the proper legal channels.

It's a moral issue for many. If you believe life begins at conception, abortion is murder and it's the government's job to prosecute murderers. And then there's Jane Roe (Norma McCorvey) who wants the ruling reversed.

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,434
    Because the people who oppose it feel just as strongly about the issue as the people who support it. That is *why* it works as a wedge.

Realistically, good government wouldn't allow this to be politicized and we'd all make our own moral choices.... without the rancor. Then we'd be able to maybe create a society where abortion was a readily available, but little used, option.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1