Doctor religious exemption hypothetical.

You should know this dr. Geauxtohell

"The Hippocratic Oath requires all physicians to be mindful of their actions, and to make judgments based upon what they know to be right"

I am guessing he/she is comparing a doctor refusing a life saving blood transfusion with a doctor giving a morning after pill. Of course, any doctor should do what is necessary to save a life.

When it comes to the abortion pill, that is not urgent as the woman has several days at least and her life is not in danger.

If a doctor refuses to save a life or has a religion that doesn't believe in modern medicine, I don't know why they'd be a doctor to begin with. Any doctor at any hospital should follow the oath they take.

So there should be some limitations to this newfound religious exemption thing?

A hospital with only one doctor?

Huhwah?

My dad covered the ER for 25 years. He was the only one on call. As stated; small town.

Your dad was the only doctor in the whole hospital? With no backup if something happened to him?

Gosh, I'll get right on believing that nearly as fast as I believe every other bit of nonsense that drivels out of your piehole, as long as you'll do me the favor of holding your breath until I do.

Hey, knucklehead:

You are the only moron who sees "ER" and reads "whole hospital".

Are you being intentionally obtuse or are you this stupid?

My dad covered the ER for 25 years. He was the only one on call. As stated; small town.

Your dad was the only doctor in the whole hospital? With no backup if something happened to him?

Gosh, I'll get right on believing that nearly as fast as I believe every other bit of nonsense that drivels out of your piehole, as long as you'll do me the favor of holding your breath until I do.

Hey, knucklehead:

She's this stupid.

And my dad likely would have been fired if he had called another doctor because his 'religious beliefs' forbade him from doing his motherfucking job.

Are you sure that is correct? We have had a few nurses who were JWs here before and they weren't forbidden to administer a blood transfusion. I don't know the rules of that religion but I've never seen this kind of thing before and I'm in the medical profession. We have dealt with the most extreme cases where we've had to get a judge to intervene.

I can't imagine this scenario ever coming up in the real world so i can't answer your questions.

No. Again, it's a hypothetical question. I chose it due to the "Jehovah's Witness Patient who refuses a life-saving transfusion vignette". I am not making a statement against the JW religion or beliefs.

The point is, this provider decides it violates his religion and he believes that under the law he has a right not to treat based on his religious beliefs.

Whether he is right or wrong about his religious beliefs isn't going to matter to the patient after they are dead.

Does the doctor have to be present to give orders, or could the nurse take orders over the phone from a doctor?

Telephone orders can be given.
what makes you say that? I worked in a blood bank at jackson memorial hospital for a few years and no blood went out for a patient without WRITTEN request from the Doctor...?

The fact that several posters refuse to attempt to address the hypothetical as it stands is telling.

Are you sure that is correct? We have had a few nurses who were JWs here before and they weren't forbidden to administer a blood transfusion. I don't know the rules of that religion but I've never seen this kind of thing before and I'm in the medical profession. We have dealt with the most extreme cases where we've had to get a judge to intervene.

I can't imagine this scenario ever coming up in the real world so i can't answer your questions.

No. Again, it's a hypothetical question. I chose it due to the "Jehovah's Witness Patient who refuses a life-saving transfusion vignette". I am not making a statement against the JW religion or beliefs.

The point is, this provider decides it violates his religion and he believes that under the law he has a right not to treat based on his religious beliefs.

Whether he is right or wrong about his religious beliefs isn't going to matter to the patient after they are dead.

I guess I don't understand the point of a hypothetical situation that would never happen.

Hey, knucklehead:

She's this stupid.

And my dad likely would have been fired if he had called another doctor because his 'religious beliefs' forbade him from doing his motherfucking job.

That was then.......

I guess I don't understand the point of a hypothetical situation that would never happen.

Never happen?

Never happen?

That's what I said. Your hypothetical scenario would never happen in the real world.

A liberal trauma doctor is in the emergency room when a gravely injured car accident victim is brought in. After determining the blood type, the liberal doctor realizes that this patient is a match for a younger man waitng for an organ transplant. The liberal doctor decides to let the injured patient die.

A liberal nurse believes that elderly patients would be less of a burden dead so she injects bleach into their IV lines.

U.S. News - Nurse sentenced to life for killing patients by injecting them with bleach

I can't find a single instance of a Jehovas Witness doctor refusing to transfuse a patient, but liberal medical practitioners routinely substitute their own lack of moral, and political opinions into their work.

More doctors kill females for the crime of being female than Jehovas Witness doctors refuse to transfuse.

A liberal trauma doctor is in the emergency room when a gravely injured car accident victim is brought in. After determining the blood type, the liberal doctor realizes that this patient is a match for a younger man waitng for an organ transplant. The liberal doctor decides to let the injured patient die.

A liberal nurse believes that elderly patients would be less of a burden dead so she injects bleach into their IV lines.

U.S. News - Nurse sentenced to life for killing patients by injecting them with bleach

I can't find a single instance of a Jehovas Witness doctor refusing to transfuse a patient, but liberal medical practitioners routinely substitute their own lack of moral, and political opinions into their work.

More doctors kill females for the crime of being female than Jehovas Witness doctors refuse to transfuse.

Ok, let me get comfortable and grab my bag of popcorn......

Ok, GO!

They're liberals. Really.

:lol::lol::lol:

the employer should have a set of guidelines per-procedure and if the person's religion conflicts with them they shouldn't be hired

HYPOTHETICAL #2

You are involved in a car accident when a drunk driver runs a red light and strikes your driver's side door.

As a result, several of your bones are broken and you are taken to the ER. You are quickly stabilized and are now in excruciating 10/10 pain.

The Doctor is from Syria and tells you that he will take good care of you. You ask him for something for the pain. He explains to you that you are the first patient he has seen since recently returning from the Haj where he had a religious awakening in his Muslim faith. As a result, he can't give you Morphine because he believes using or helping others to use mind altering substances violates his religious beliefs and he is now determined to be a good Muslim.

He further explains that instead of morphine, he will give you ketorlac (NSAID) for pain control. Unfortunately, this doesn't do the trick and you lie in agony for four hours until the orthopedic team is able to admit you.

Does the Doctor have a right to refuse to adequately control your pain if he thinks doing so would violate his religious beliefs?

Oh, Wow. Another 1 doctor hospital.

I wonder why my small town hospital had 5 ER doctors working the night my wife dislocated her elbow? They sure could save money if they let 4 of them go.

I do not agree with you about the law changing for religious exemption statutes. Please point me to any bills that are being considered that would allow a doctor to allow a patient to die because of a religious exception.

The religious exemption bills certainly exist. Whether that extends o situations like this, I am unsure.

The point is more to discuss the notion of refusing care based on provider religious belief.

You know as well as I do that you brought this issue up due to the discussions about whether a doctor or nurse should be forced to give emergency contraceptives or perform an abortion if they have religious views opposing these political issues. We are not talking about life saving precedures when it comes down to emergency contraceptives or abortion. At best we are talking "quality of life" issues.

Of course it was. I said so in the OP.

I woks disagree that emergency contraception after a sexual assault is a "quality of life" issue.

I suspect there are very few conservatives, if any, who would support allowing any medical professional to not save lives for religious reasons.

Immie

For being the decent and honest poster, you've earned a new hypothetical!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/5387405-post136.html

Last edited:
Oh, Wow. Another 1 doctor hospital.

I wonder why my small town hospital had 5 ER doctors working the night my wife dislocated her elbow? They sure could save money if they let 4 of them go.

You are quickly joining the ranks of the lame who want to argue the hypothetical as opposed to takings crack at the larger question.

Forum List

Back