Doctor Ebola Arrives in the US

How Do You Feel About the CDC Allowing Ebola into the US?

• Insanely stupid. Shut down the nuke plants now, we're in huge trouble.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Reckless. A terrible idea.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Not my first choice but we probably can contain it.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I'm OK with it.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • It's fine, our technology can fix whatever happens.

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Yes but epidemics have a way of drastically crunching down on human civilization.
Seriously? So when your assertion that these two patients shouldn't have been released because the people treating are wrong and they might be spreading pandemic falls flat in the face of history of previous Ebola outbreaks you just fall back on a vague doom prophecy about epidemics have a way of drastically crunching down on human civilization?

Well shit let's just seal the borders up from everyone. There could be flu coming in too.

And the point of the OP was "what if the league that babysits our nuclear fleet are in those grim statistics?" Would you know how to shut down overheating fuel rods? Would I? Would anyone you know?
What if martians land and take all the nuclear workers? Might as well post a thread about that too.

Yes but epidemics have a way of drastically crunching down on human civilization.
Seriously? So when your assertion that these two patients shouldn't have been released because the people treating are wrong and they might be spreading pandemic falls flat in the face of history of previous Ebola outbreaks you just fall back on a vague doom prophecy about epidemics have a way of drastically crunching down on human civilization?

Well shit let's just seal the borders up from everyone. There could be flu coming in too.

And the point of the OP was "what if the league that babysits our nuclear fleet are in those grim statistics?" Would you know how to shut down overheating fuel rods? Would I? Would anyone you know?
What if martians land and take all the nuclear workers? Might as well post a thread about that too.
Except that ebola is real and we know that it is highly lethal.

Between the two of us, I sound reasonable and you sound insane.

Except that ebola is real and we know that it is highly lethal.

There's apparently a big difference between 'what we both know'. As you didn't even know the disease wasn't airborne until we told you. You keep citing the lethality rate at 90%....when in the most extensive outbreak in history, its closer to 60%. And with the newer treatments in the US, apparently 0%.

You predicted an extinction level event and nuclear meltdowns.....because two US citizens were brought to Atlanta in isolation for treatment. Um, that's the opposite of reasonable. That sounds like delusional, panty shitting hysterics based on a profoundly broken process of threat assessment.

None of what you predicted ever happened. The infection didn't spread from the two patients to anyone else here. As you reading this elegantly demonstrates, our species wasn't exterminated. And there were no nuclear meltdowns. Whatever process you're using to determine risk and make predictions.....is fundamentally broken and worse than useless.

Yes but epidemics have a way of drastically crunching down on human civilization. You may have heard of the suppression of technology and advancement just after the bubonic plague?

My point is that if millions of people suddenly die, like what my grandparents survived at the turn of the last century with the flu epidemic [grandma spent the rest of her life with only part of one lung, the rest had to be cut out], our society and national security is at stake.

The Spanish Flu was transmitted by air. Ebola isn't. Let me repeat, for at least the 10th time, Ebola isn't transmitted by air. And when you forget again, let me remind you, Ebola isn't transmitted by air. Its been weeks and you still don't get this.

You're offering us baseless speculation based on profound, profound ignorance of the disease you're attempting to discuss. Where when one baseless spasm of fearmongering is proven blithering nonsense.....you simply imagine another. The disease didn't infect anyone during treatment in the US......so now you've made up a scenario where all the tests of the patients must be wrong and they're actually spreading the disease right now.

All backed by absolutely nothing but your own irrational fear. No thank you.

The issue you keep missing is the one of probability. The scenario you describe is ridiculously unlikely. Like winning the lottery while on a crashing plane that was just struck by a meteor unlikely. Rational people don't make decisions based on irrational fear of ridiculously unlikely events. And the scenarios you've described are driven by irrational fear.

The part that is especially telling? Even after your every prediction was proven laughably, ineptly wrong, even after both patients recovered without spreading the disease to anyone here in the US.....you maintain the *exact* same level of irrational fear and baseless anticipation of extinction and doom. Hell, you've *elaborated* on your original fears, embellished on your original predictions and ramped up your personal level of hysteria to even greater heights.

Demonstrating more elegantly than anything I can type that your perception is pristinely unmarred by and unaffected by anything as banal as reality.

Yes but epidemics have a way of drastically crunching down on human civilization. You may have heard of the suppression of technology and advancement just after the bubonic plague?

My point is that if millions of people suddenly die, like what my grandparents survived at the turn of the last century with the flu epidemic [grandma spent the rest of her life with only part of one lung, the rest had to be cut out], our society and national security is at stake.

The Spanish Flu was transmitted by air. Ebola isn't. Let me repeat, for at least the 10th time, Ebola isn't transmitted by air. And when you forget again, let me remind you, Ebola isn't transmitted by air. Its been weeks and you still don't get this.

You're offering us baseless speculation based on profound, profound ignorance of the disease you're attempting to discuss. Where when one baseless spasm of fearmongering is proven blithering nonsense.....you simply imagine another. The disease didn't infect anyone during treatment in the US......so now you've made up a scenario where all the tests of the patients must be wrong and they're actually spreading the disease right now.

All backed by absolutely nothing but your own irrational fear. No thank you.

The issue you keep missing is the one of probability. The scenario you describe is ridiculously unlikely. Like winning the lottery while on a crashing plane that was just struck by a meteor unlikely. Rational people don't make decisions based on irrational fear of ridiculously unlikely events. And the scenarios you've described are driven by irrational fear.

The part that is especially telling? Even after your every prediction was proven laughably, ineptly wrong, even after both patients recovered without spreading the disease to anyone here in the US.....you maintain the *exact* same level of irrational fear and baseless anticipation of extinction and doom. Hell, you've *elaborated* on your original fears, embellished on your original predictions and ramped up your personal level of hysteria to even greater heights.

Demonstrating more elegantly than anything I can type that your perception is pristinely unmarred by and unaffected by anything as banal as reality.

The jury is out on whether or not ebola is transmitted "by air". Youre being silly. When you say 'air' do you mean like spores travelling on air currents? Or are we talking about sneeze droplets or exhaled moisture from breath? Because they HAVE detected ebola in all bodily fluids including tears, and saliva. Would just the moisture in sneeze droplets, that can spread out up to 30 feet, be the single exception to that?

No, of course not. What are you gaining here with your obvious cohorts in avering that it's better to err on the side of stupidity rather than caution when it comes to a still as-yet mysterious disease that has up to a 90% fatality rate?

Really, that's almost becoming a separate topic [don't tempt me]. Why are all the responders to this thread [while over 50% voted opposed] holding a stance of "anyone who thinks it's a bad idea for importing ebola into the US without fully understanding it yet is insane".

Talk about Orwellian truthyness. Are you folks from the Ministry of Truth? How many bloggers are there from the PSYOPS crowd? Wait, don't answer that. It's better just to not know...right? I mean that's the policy with ebola isn't it? Let's just pretend it isn't 90% fatal and that it may be carried by and spread by animals and unknown vectors in people. That's the policy right? Play pretend and anyone who doesn't play along is dogged by "the team" here at USMB? Hey team, why did over 50% of responders to the poll vote with me?

Three expert doctors die and one epidemiologist becomes inexplicably stricken with ebola and suddenly everyone is all quiet on the topic...

Three expert doctors die and one epidemiologist becomes inexplicably stricken with ebola and suddenly everyone is all quiet on the topic...

That is still not an epidemic outbreak in the United States, as you were trying to convince people would happen. It hasn't happened.
Yes but the experts are dying of it while we are importing it into the New World with our usual narcissistic megalomania of "America can dominate anything, anytime".

Let me repeat: the experts are dying of ebola.... As Larry the Cable guy would say...."There's your sign!"..

That is still not an epidemic outbreak in the United States, as you were trying to convince people would happen. It hasn't happened.
Yes but the experts are dying of it while we are importing it into the New World with our usual narcissistic megalomania of "America can dominate anything, anytime".

Let me repeat: the experts are dying of ebola.... As Larry the Cable guy would say...."There's your sign!"..

You said there was going to be an epidemic of Ebola in the United States that would be so bad it would even effect our population. Why don't you just admit that you were wrong instead of trying to move the goal posts?

You said there was going to be an epidemic of Ebola in the United States that would be so bad it would even effect our population. Why don't you just admit that you were wrong instead of trying to move the goal posts?
How do we know I am wrong? Did you expect the entire population to fall within days or weeks of importing ebola here? Do you even know how epidemics are spread? A little at first [like in Africa]...then more and more [like in Africa]...and then it hits a critical mass and suddenly there is an explosion of disease. [like they fear but are hoping won't happen in Africa]. They are trying desperately to contain it there after the first few cases years ago.

But when a disease enters a sealed environment [like one an ocean away] and takes hold, that's when you sit back and watch how the future unfolds. Your infantile argument is "because it hasn't gotten to this point yet, Sil is wrong". The future will tell if I am wrong. And how do we predict the future? BY WATCHING WHAT'S HAPPENING IN AFRICA. And let me repeat: experts are dying of ebola there.

"There's your sign..."

How do we know I am wrong? Did you expect the entire population to fall within days or weeks of importing ebola here? Do you even know how epidemics are spread? A little at first [like in Africa]...then more and more [like in Africa]...and then it hits a critical mass and suddenly there is an explosion of disease. [like they fear but are hoping won't happen in Africa]. They are trying desperately to contain it there after the first few cases years ago.

But when a disease enters a sealed environment [like one an ocean away] and takes hold, that's when you sit back and watch how the future unfolds. Your infantile argument is "because it hasn't gotten to this point yet, Sil is wrong". The future will tell if I am wrong. And how do we predict the future? BY WATCHING WHAT'S HAPPENING IN AFRICA. And let me repeat: experts are dying of ebola there.

"There's your sign..."

Mmm-hmmm, just like H1N1, swine flu, bird flu, mad cow disease, etc. *rolls eyes*

This is fearmongering. That is all this is. You apparently are suffering from some mental or emotional insecurities and challenges, and you are projecting your fears. Seek help.

"There's your sign..."

Mmm-hmmm, just like H1N1, swine flu, bird flu, mad cow disease, etc. *rolls eyes*

Were experts in those diseases dying from them?

This is different sweetie.

That doesn't appear to be the consensus in this thread, or among people from the CDC who's job it is to protect public health.

And to be honest, the guy who is still claiming Tokyo is being secretly evacuated because of radiation is the last one who should be self-diagnosing sanity levels.

Really? How many of the experts who treated the two Ebola patients in the US, you know the ones you thought would cause a pandemic, have died?

Oh yeah... zero.

How do we know I am wrong? Did you expect the entire population to fall within days or weeks of importing ebola here? Do you even know how epidemics are spread?
It has been a month since they brought the first Ebola patient in.

When that Patrick Sawyer arrived in Nigeria on July 20 how long did it take for people who caught Ebola from him to show symptoms and officially spread to Nigeria?

How do we know I am wrong? Did you expect the entire population to fall within days or weeks of importing ebola here? Do you even know how epidemics are spread?
It has been a month since they brought the first Ebola patient in.

When that Patrick Sawyer arrived in Nigeria on July 20 how long did it take for people who caught Ebola from him to show symptoms and officially spread to Nigeria?
Do you know the answer to your own question? Do you know how many other species besides humans, bats, and some antelope can catch, harbor and/or spread ebola?

No? Then until those questions are known and known well you don't import ebola into the New World.

Do you know the answer to your own question?
Yes, I do. Sawyer arrived in Nigeria July 20, and healthcare workers from the hospital were diagnosed by by August 6th. That would be 17 days since after contact with him.

Brantley arrived in the US a month ago, was declared free of the virus and released two weeks later, and no healthcare workers have turned up with Ebola. Fear mongering fail.

Do you know how many other species besides humans, bats, and some antelope can catch, harbor and/or spread ebola? No? Then until those questions are known and known well you don't import ebola into the New World.
Oh definitely, we need to weigh the risk of the two patients, having been declared free of the Ebola virus, running off to infect antelope and other wildlife in the US. Are you still leaning on the semen thing, like maybe you are worried Brantley is going to jerk off on a deer?

The funny thing is time is not on your side with this, every day that goes by without any of your fear mongering claims coming to fruition you look more and more ridiculous stubbornly clinging to it, as with your "Goodbye Japan" thread.

Do you know the answer to your own question?
Yes, I do. Sawyer arrived in Nigeria July 20, and healthcare workers from the hospital were diagnosed by by August 6th. That would be 17 days since after contact with him.

Brantley arrived in the US a month ago, was declared free of the virus and released two weeks later, and no healthcare workers have turned up with Ebola. Fear mongering fail.

Is Brantly an exeception to the quarantine rule of ebola showing up in the semen [and possibly other bodily fluids] of surivors? When you declare someone "free of the virus", does that eradicate the findings that it persists in semen [at least] for months after a person is symptom free?

Forum List

Back