Do You Want More Or Less Government In Your Life?

Do You Want More Or Less Government In Your Life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is what I want.

No EPA.
No Federal Dept. Of Education

What does that mean? Executive branch agencies or offices or departments or whatever executive federal laws. So is this is a statement about the organization of the executive branch (e.g. so-and-such function can be transferred to Department X) or are you actually calling for repeal of, for example, the Clean Air Act? Its provisions and enforcement predate the creation of the EPA, so you're either suggesting that someone else should, as they did before the EPA was created, handle enforcement of its provisions or no one should enforce its provisions, which obviously requires repealing the law.

The same thing goes for the federal role in education, which obviously far predates the creation of the Department of Education a few decades ago:
Historical Note: The federal Office of Education was created on March 2, 1867. It became part of the Department of the Interior on July 1, 1889. As of July 1, 1939 it was placed under the Federal Security Agency of the Department of the Interior where it remained until the creation of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) in 1953. The Commissioner of Education reported directly to the Secretary of HEW until 1972 when an Education Division was created, headed by the Assistant Secretary for Education. The Office of the Commissioner of Education ceased to exist when the Department of Education was created in 1980.

So are you simply asking for a new federal organizational chart in which the feds still have the same responsibilities or do you really want to start knocking down some laws? And if it's the latter, why not say that? Saying "get rid of the EPA" when you really mean "repeal the Clean Air Act" is cryptic to the point of dishonesty.

I think our Government should spy on us 24/7,start more Wars,put more of us in prison,create more Debt,tell us what to think,tell us what to say,and steal more of our personal income. Oh wait,they're already doing all those things. Yea,you people keep on believing you're free. But at least some are figuring things out. Now we just need more to.

It is time for a day of rage to clean house. No more government unions or pensions. No offensive wars unless approved by voters. Only local police & national defence. No other government programs ever.

Last edited:
You would have to be absolutely deranged to want more Government than you already have in your life. They're everywhere for God's sake.

93% to 7%? Wow this is a route. Is this is a fair reflection of our nation's sentiment? If so,how do the few dominate the many? How many Big Government Nanny Staters are there and how did they achieve such a stranglehold on our nation?

You can clearly see that the more the government spends the worse off we are. The best time this country had in recent memory was during the 1990's when government spending dropped as a percent of GDP.

Government-Spending-Graph.PNG

federal-spending.jpg

93% to 7%? Wow this is a route. Is this is a fair reflection of our nation's sentiment? If so,how do the few dominate the many? How many Big Government Nanny Staters are there and how did they achieve such a stranglehold on our nation?

They are not the majority but they makeup both parties. They have organized & active public union support. You have no choice at the voting booth.

All you can do is prepare for government collapse in the future.

I believe that if the government stopped handing out student loans then the price of an education would drop. Universities are business and if their product is over priced for the market then no one will buy it, so they will have to lower the price to the point where it will start selling again. Will this lower the salaries of professors? Maybe... but it will also help to lower prices overall since it will increase the amount of free capital that graduates will have after graduation since they won't be saddled with debt right out of the gate.

One initial side effect might be that there would be a smaller pool of graduates until the price adjustment was made. This would serve to create a labor shortage for those jobs that require a degree. This shortage would drive wages up and give more people capital to spend which would increase the demand for unskilled labor as well since there would be a higher demand on the service industries. Then as tuition costs lower more people will be in a postion to get an education since they will be making more overall.

Besides no one is saying get rid of all education loans. If there is a niche in the market for the lending industry to provide low interest loans to those who can't afford to pay outright then it will be filled. Let the market decide. As it is the government is preventing any growth of that type of business because it is making itself a competitor that no one else can compete with. Now the only private education loans that are sought are probably for the portion of tuition that can't be covered by government loans.

This is just one example of how removing government interference might help.

I wish it was a fair reflection. But it's an internet poll. It's impossible to tell how accurately it reflects the popular sentiment. Also, if you noticed, many of our big government advocates haven't voted. So Im not sure this is accurate for even the board.

They are not the majority but they makeup both parties. They have organized & active public union support. You have no choice at the voting booth.

All you can do is prepare for government collapse in the future.

Boy,that's very sad. Yea according to our little USMB Poll,the Big Government Nanny Staters' numbers are very few. So it's very surprising they've been able to dominate so much. I guess more Americans need to start standing up. Like you said,the Big Government folks are very well organized and funded. Americans better get going. Big Government only grows bigger by the day.

I wish it was a fair reflection. But it's an internet poll. It's impossible to tell how accurately it reflects the popular sentiment. Also, if you noticed, many of our big government advocates haven't voted. So Im not sure this is accurate for even the board.

Good observation. Thanks.

You would have to be absolutely deranged to want more Government than you already have in your life. They're everywhere for God's sake.

What is so bad is that it so subtle.

You don't really realize it until you really start to look into things.

I wish I could eat at a fast food place where the government did no inspections. If they didn't have to follow regulations, I bet my meal would be cheaper and BETTER !

Just curious about what most here on USMB prefer when it comes to Government in their lives. Thanks.

less in restricting personal liberty, more in protecting democracy from predatory capitalism.

Democracy preys on capitalism, not the other way around. The minute the universal franchise is granted, the slow but steady swirl down the toilet bowl begins.

Just curious about what most here on USMB prefer when it comes to Government in their lives. Thanks.

less in restricting personal liberty, more in protecting democracy from predatory capitalism.

Democracy preys on capitalism, not the other way around. The minute the universal franchise is granted, the slow but steady swirl down the toilet bowl begins.

We are already experiencing vertigo.

The lack of government regulation is what led to the economic collapse.

Bring back Glass-Steagall.

Ever since 911 it does feel like we are living in a Police State of sorts. They have taken so much control so quickly. They're everywhere now. I mean i just read where the TSA is now setting up random checkpoints on our highways. Do we really want a Gestapo-like Government agency out there demanding we show them our papers and searching our vehicles? I can't believe this is what most Ameicans want. I just can't believe that. I'm just waiting to see more Americans protesting this stuff. Because this is the most important problem facing our nation.

Yes, and electing a republican president will only make things worse.

Forum List

Back