Do you remember Vietnam on TV?

Dear All

I am trying to find out if anyone clearly remembers the television footage from The Vietnam War as the event was unfolding? Did any TV footage stick in peoples minds or have photographs now taken over our memory of the war?

All your comments are welcome

Thanks Ross

Not really. They didn't have any TV's in the jungles of vietnam

How would you know nitwit....... :cool:

I was up to my knees in rice paddies, with guns that didn't work! Going in there, looking for Charlie, slugging it out with him; While pussies like you were back here partying, putting headbands on, doing drugs, and listening to the goddamn Beatle albums! Oh! Oh! Oh!

:D

I remember wondering if my brother would come home in a box.
Gimme an "F"! Gimme a "U"... :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7-ngmO_p8"]Country Joe McDonald - I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag - YouTube[/ame]

I remember watching Saturday morning cartoons and there was this guy on CBS who did News Reports in between the cartoon shows called "In The News". Chris "Something" I can't remember. He would describe the Vietnam battles and such but all I cared about (I was 7-8 years old) was the Military planes they happened to show.

"Oh cool, it's an F-4 shootin' rockets!" :D

Dear All

I am trying to find out if anyone clearly remembers the television footage from The Vietnam War as the event was unfolding? Did any TV footage stick in peoples minds or have photographs now taken over our memory of the war?

All your comments are welcome

Thanks Ross
I remember the body counts in the upper right-hand portion of the television screen, as they were broadcasting the news.

How would you know nitwit....... :cool:

I was up to my knees in rice paddies, with guns that didn't work! Going in there, looking for Charlie, slugging it out with him; While pussies like you were back here partying, putting headbands on, doing drugs, and listening to the goddamn Beatle albums! Oh! Oh! Oh!

:D

I loved sam kinison

I loved sam kinison
Kinnison is my hero!

I think his best bit was when he was saying his favorite President was JFK.

"There he was in the Oval Office, with his dick up Marilyn Monroe's ass and
his finger on "the button", telling the Russian's to get the fuck out of Cuba,
looking out at the Washington Monument and thinking, 'ya know, it doesn't
get much better than this!' "​

I remember Walter Cronkite lying his ass off.

Well..

Be clear.

When did Cronkite lie?

His biggest lie was that we lost the Tet offensive. We won, decisively. That was the lie that turned the war. General Vo Nguyen Giap said in his memoirs that he was preparing for surrender when he realized that the American media was doing for him what he could not do for himself. All he had to do was hold out until the American media gained him victory. That's exactly what happened.

He never wrote anything of the kind. That's an internet legend that you can read about by clicking the snopes cite, previously posted.

Well..

Be clear.

When did Cronkite lie?

His biggest lie was that we lost the Tet offensive. We won, decisively. That was the lie that turned the war. General Vo Nguyen Giap said in his memoirs that he was preparing for surrender when he realized that the American media was doing for him what he could not do for himself. All he had to do was hold out until the American media gained him victory. That's exactly what happened.

He never wrote anything of the kind. That's an internet legend that you can read about by clicking the snopes cite, previously posted.

does snopes have some type of certificate that puts them above spiining the truth?

does snopes have some type of certificate that puts them above spiining the truth?

They can read Giap's biography. Have you? There's no room for spin. He either said it or he didn't. I'll take their word for it, unless you can prove otherwise. They have a reputation for tackling at all sorts of topics on an evenhanded basis. The reports that Giap said what was mentioned above, don't come from nearly as reputable sources. However,the only source that really counts is Giap. Give us a page citation, if you've got it. From my experience you're just parroting what you've heard and haven't bothered to check it out.

They can read Giap's biography. Have you? There's no room for spin. He either said it or he didn't. I'll take their word for it, unless you can prove otherwise. They have a reputation for tackling at all sorts of topics on an evenhanded basis. The reports that Giap said what was mentioned above, don't come from nearly as reputable sources. However,the only source that really counts is Giap. Give us a page citation, if you've got it. From my experience you're just parroting what you've heard and haven't bothered to check it out.

sounds to me like you lack experience

I anxiously await you to prove snopes wrong

Post where Giap said North VietNam was ready to surrender

Yes, I remember it well.

I also remember thinking that there is no way in hell that I'm going over there to risk my life for no good reason.

I remember sitting in the living room of my parents home as a young teenager and watching the war on the evening news in black and white.

But it didn't affect me because I had a hot rod 57 Chevy and was too busy going to dances at the teen club and chasing girls.

Then one day I got a letter from the President in the mail...........

About the same here. I respected Cronkite, because you were supposed to; hell, everyone did. There was no other version of the news.

I guess I wanted to hear the news the way he presented it too. After all, like most guys my age, I carried a 2"x 3" card in my wallet that said 1-A.

As was said, most of the film was helicopters and USO shows. The things that stick out were still photos.

Read Matterhorn if you weren't there to find out why you did not want to ever be there.

Forum List

Back