Do you like your iphone?

Don't know if this is helpful but when we went to the iPhone5, Verizon had the iPhone 4 for free. I also don't know if they still have that deal or what Android deals they have.

I like Verizon because they have the best coverage and our lake house is very remote. They also have "unlimited talk and text".

Anyone seen the iphone6 leaked photos?? Looks just like a Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Think I'm one of the last Americans who's never owned, nor plans to ever own, a cellphone or other portable e-device. :) Enjoy going out and getting away from ringing phones, why in the world would I wanna bring the annoyance with me? :)

There are less and less pay phones to call for an emergency these days.

and there are fewer ways to get the police right away when you are in a car accident.

One time I broke down on the road and I had to walk to a payphone and wait for AAA and they wanted a number I could be reached at and I didn't have a cell phone.

My cell phone is an alarm clock, and an MP3 player. It is also my contact list with addresses and I can put telemarketers on block using it and there are currently 46 telemarketers on block.

I have GPS and Google Maps so it can tell me my current position.

It lets me take voice recordings and memos.

Forgive me for trimming your text. I picked you because you seem to be a typical cell phone junkie.
"There are less and less pay phones to call for an emergency these days"

That`s true, but where you live all you would have to do is label 2 tins, one as "Fertilizer" and the other one as "Diesel Fuel", pull them out of your pocket and act suspicious...and everybody around you who has a cell phone starts dialing 911.

In Canada it`s customary that friends and family put up some sort of road side memorial where a loved one has been killed in a car crash.

Driving from Brandon to Winnipeg there are at least a dozen such memorials and cell phone "texting" while driving has been the cause in almost every one of these crashes.

I used my long vacations to drive long haul from Alaska, the Yukon & the NWT through Canada all the way up to Mexico and have seen it all the time...people coming up the on-ramp while they are yapping on their cell phone...totally oblivious to the 80 000 lbs tractor trailer unit I was driving.
The woman are the worst offenders...like this one:
policephoto.jpg

I`ve been sitting there in this lane for over 10 minutes having my coffee while I had to wait till they opened the gate to let me into their compound.
Along comes this nurse and slammed her little pickup with such force under my trailer that all of her 4 tires blew out.
I got out of my truck and dragged her out because I saw some smoke coming out from the hood...and while I did that she was still yapping to somebody on her cell phone.

"One time I broke down on the road and I had to walk to a payphone and wait for AAA and they wanted a number I could be reached at and I didn't have a cell phone."

With a set of tools and some know how you don`t have to walk to a payphone, have a cell phone or wait for the "AAA".

Anyone who is so dependent on other people to fix their problems better stay where you got wall to wall people and buildings.

For you, a simple mechanical problem would escalate to a life threatening situation in Canada unless you stay within cell phone coverage.
You won`t get far here and your cell phone is useless...what you need then is a satellite phone. But that won`t keep you alive at sub-zero temperatures while you have to wait a couple of days before help arrives.

" I have GPS and Google Maps so it can tell me my current position. "

Are you saying that without a GPS and "Google Maps" you get lost?

"It lets me take voice recordings and memos. "

Who are these memos for? For yourself?
Is there something wrong with your memory?
When I was not driving truck I worked in a place where you had to leave all recording devices including cell phones with the security guards.
So you would be screwed!
I also got a pilot`s license and when I was younger I used it the same way I use my class1 commercial license to make extra cash and have a good time during my off duty times.
cessna206.jpg

How would you react if you sit in a plane where the pilot in command has to make a " voice recording memo" of what the control tower is telling him over the radio?
I like to prank people who freak out easily and realize now that I missed out on a lot of good opportunities where I could have done just that.
It`s not that I hate cell phones or that I don`t have one...I just don`t have any use for it. So most of the time it just sits there doing nothing for the monthly fee Rogers wants for it doing nothing.

"My cell phone is an alarm clock, and an MP3 player."
I`ve been lucky because I never had a job where you have to punch a clock. If was a bit late that was never a big deal and the only time I used an alarm clock if I had to make it to the airport at an early hour.
That MP3 player function...I love classical music and prefer to listen to it either at a live concert or a over decent surround stereo speaker system.

"I can put telemarketers on block using it and there are currently 46 telemarketers on block."

How the hell did you wind up on 46 telemarketers lists?
The only way that happens is when one of them found a sucker and then they can collect a bonus after they pass on that number to the other spammers.
But you have my sympathy there. Doesn`t your regular phone company pull the plug on them if you notify them?
Works quite well here in Canada...but it`s better to just hang up the first time any of these telemarketers tries "giving you" something after you told him what he wants to know about you.

"One time I broke down on the road and I had to walk to a payphone and wait for AAA and they wanted a number I could be reached at and I didn't have a cell phone."

You love cell phone "apps" but you are missing out on a business opportunity and should take a course how to write "apps".
Imagine how much money you could make with a car/model specific trouble shooting "app". There are a lot of people who have no clue where their fuse box is or why the ECU shut down the fuel pump or the ignition and how they can override the ECU. The AAA guys know how...and almost every trucker worth his salt knows too. Up here you would have to know else you will be sitting for a week on some winter road till somebody who does know comes along.
More often than not it turns out to be just a faulty sensor and not the kind of engine fault you got billed for.
Go to a decent parts supplier and get the Haynes computer codes for your engine. You can read almost all ECU`s without a lap-top just by turning the ignition key on-off 3 times in less than 5 seconds and leave it on the third time.
After that the ECU will scan all the sensors and flash each status in Morse code with the "check engine" light on your dash.
Worked with anything I drove so far.
But that`s by far too complicated for cell phone addicts.
If they had an "app" where they just repeat what the the "check engine" light flashed with the # key they could diagnose their car trouble just as good as a garage does when they plug into the ECU and run the same scan.
Just remember where you got the idea after you start raking in the money.
I don`t want any, but you can donate my share to a War Veteran.org and some of it to an animal shelter.

Last edited:
iPhone is not as good as Nexus. I prefer Android Phones to iPhone. Owning iPhone means you own a smartphone that is not really yours.

Think I'm one of the last Americans who's never owned, nor plans to ever own, a cellphone or other portable e-device. :) Enjoy going out and getting away from ringing phones, why in the world would I wanna bring the annoyance with me? :)

I held out as long as I could on getting a cell phone, but when my wife became pregnant she insisted that I get one.

Having said that, I love my iPhone.

Nonukes what kind of iPhone did you get? Sarghon I've used Android phones since they first came out. With Android you can pretty much make it your own. Example you can change your UI icons back grounds by hacking. The iPhone the same by Jail breaking. I can say one thing about the iPhone. The iPhone to me is smoother less glitches freezing up. The updates are more frequent better battery life. Android after two or three updates it's pretty much through. Iphones hold there value for years to come. Both are good phones and will serve you well.

Last edited:
I've had both and much prefer my iPhone5.

I had forgotten about how the Android freezes up.

The iPhone is more user friendly, more features. Even my first iPhone was better than any Android I've seen.

I also like the unlimited talk and text with Verizon. Cheaper than the plan we had with ATT.

Hush up luddly your going to make me buy a iPhone 5. Verizon is pretty good that is what I have. I was grandfathered into my plan. I have unlimited texting data and talk. The company pays 25% so that helps a lot on the bill. To keep from loosing my unlimited I will have to pay cash for an iPhone 5. Because I'm off contract. I've seen leaked iPhone 6 pics and it looks more like an android. Now to butter up the wife and get one. How's the battery life on the iPhone 5 ? If I'm in a 4G area my battery life sucks like a $20.00 hooker.

The iPhone is more user friendly, more features. Even my first iPhone was better than any Android I've seen.

I also like the unlimited talk and text with Verizon. Cheaper than the plan we had with ATT.

My 4s has seized up a few times since I got it a couple years ago.

Speaking of price, we've got 3 iPhones with Verizon service. Unlimited talk/text with 6 gigs shared data. The bill is consistently $219/month which seems high to me. I'm thinking of shopping around, but not sure if I can improve upon this.

My 4s has seized up a few times since I got it a couple years ago.

Speaking of price, we've got 3 iPhones with Verizon service. Unlimited talk/text with 6 gigs shared data. The bill is consistently $219/month which seems high to me. I'm thinking of shopping around, but not sure if I can improve upon this.

You can't improve on that price if you want Verizon or AT&T.

Anyone who says that their iPhone is better than any Android phone is simply clueless and are probably just enamored with the interface. It's a style issue, and it's one that Apple has worked on for a very long time. Apple didn't want to own the market, they wanted to own a subset of the market that would be unequivocally loyal. So if you absolutely love your iPhone/iPad/Mac, congratulations! You might be the sheep Steve Jobs knew he could herd. There are plenty of non-sheep that prefer the Apple interface, and people generally like what they are used to. But the ardent fanbois are the core market for Apple - the cult of Steve Jobs.

My daughter loved her iPhone 3gs until she got to borrow my HTC One X for a week and my wife's iPhone 4s. Android won her over when she saw how many apps were available and the updates weren't limited by some nebulous Apple Store delays. She has a Galaxy S4 now and she loves it.

My wife isn't much of an advanced user of phones (she doesn't even do email on it) so she's happy with her 4s. She doesn't download music (she uses Rhapsody), doesn't use maps, and doesn't make many cell phone calls. She likes SIRI, and she thinks the WIFI hotspot feature is easiest to use on her phone (???). She ignores the fact that I've been doing mobile WIFI hotspot since 2001 and that my HTC Aria did it without the use of any other device 4 years ago.

Anyone who says that their iPhone is better than any Android phone is simply clueless and are probably just enamored with the interface. It's a style issue, and it's one that Apple has worked on for a very long time. Apple didn't want to own the market, they wanted to own a subset of the market that would be unequivocally loyal. So if you absolutely love your iPhone/iPad/Mac, congratulations! You might be the sheep Steve Jobs knew he could herd. There are plenty of non-sheep that prefer the Apple interface, and people generally like what they are used to. But the ardent fanbois are the core market for Apple - the cult of Steve Jobs.

My daughter loved her iPhone 3gs until she got to borrow my HTC One X for a week and my wife's iPhone 4s. Android won her over when she saw how many apps were available and the updates weren't limited by some nebulous Apple Store delays. She has a Galaxy S4 now and she loves it.

My wife isn't much of an advanced user of phones (she doesn't even do email on it) so she's happy with her 4s. She doesn't download music (she uses Rhapsody), doesn't use maps, and doesn't make many cell phone calls. She likes SIRI, and she thinks the WIFI hotspot feature is easiest to use on her phone (???). She ignores the fact that I've been doing mobile WIFI hotspot since 2001 and that my HTC Aria did it without the use of any other device 4 years ago.

As long as everyone are happy campers, what's not to like about shit and stuff? :dunno:

As long as everyone are happy campers, what's not to like about shit and stuff? :dunno:

Absolutely. I'm just irked by the Apple drones that have been indoctrinated into their world of iPhone superiority by definition (and equally irked by Android separatists that say Apple's interface is crap).

I didn't like Siri on my 4S but it has been really handy and trouble-free on my 5. We use the maps but also really like the Yellow Pages app. I download a lot of music but also like the free radio app. And, yes, the WiFi is trouble free.

Another thing we like and use a lot is FaceTalk. Some say the google app is good but we don't like it, find it difficult to use and the quality is terrible.

We also really like the lower cost on Verizon.

To each their own.

Another thing I really LOVE about the iPhone5 is the camera. Its good enough that I'm not taking a camera with me on our Caribbean trip and plan to do a photo exhibit later this year showing only iPhone photos.

Forum List

Back