Do You Have a "Mention" Function?

Daktoria

Mar 8, 2013
Some other boards have a mention function. That way, you can respond to someone and get someone's attention who might not be ordinarily checking a conversation. For example, if someone types, "@Daktoria" a notification would appear on my screen. I could click on it and it would send me where "@Daktoria" was typed.

Does that exist here?

look If that button was here I would be non stop harrased by it.

That is why I said I dont think Id like it.

look If that button was here I would be non stop harrased by it.

That is why I said I dont think Id like it.

maybe you can go look at post histroy at this site and SEE how people have treated me for simply being correct about what will happen as a result of policy

It doesn't have to be a pop-up. It could just bold the bar where your PMs are located.

I'm not sure how that's harassing. If anything's frustrating, it's having to constantly go back and look over threads you've participated in to see if someone's responded to you. Merely having active threads in your User CP doesn't indicate this.

There is a Find All Posts by User Function.

How does that help?

One, you have to know which user to look up.

Two, you still have to browse through a user's posts to find where a user's responded to you.

I think what Daktoria is after is a notification feature that would be triggered whenever someone responds directly to a given post (this could be connected to the quote feature), as opposed to the current subscription setup which often forces you to peruse several pages to see whether anyone has responded to one of your posts.

Given the size of this discussion board and the resources such a feature would occupy, I doubt it'll happen.

I think what Daktoria is after is a notification feature that would be triggered whenever someone responds directly to a given post (this could be connected to the quote feature), as opposed to the current subscription setup which often forces you to peruse several pages to see whether anyone has responded to one of your posts.

Given the size of this discussion board and the resources such a feature would occupy, I doubt it'll happen.

The real matter is say you stop talking in a conversation on... page 3. Maybe you log off and go to sleep for example.

Then, you come back. The thread has progressed... to page 7.

How are you supposed to remind who you were talking to without a mention function? Someone isn't checking up on the thread any longer.

Last edited:

The real matter is say you stop talking in a conversation on... page 3. Maybe you log off and go to sleep for example.

How are you supposed to remind who you were talking to without a mention function? Someone isn't checking up on the thread any longer.

There is a button which should let you jump to the point in the thread where you last read.

Sometimes it's glitchy. But mostly it's helpful.

Look at the list of thread titles in the subscribed threads portion of your user cp. There should be a downarrow button to the left of the threads which have new posts in them. It's supposed to take you to the first new post.

Some other boards have a mention function. That way, you can respond to someone and get someone's attention who might not be ordinarily checking a conversation. For example, if someone types, "@Daktoria" a notification would appear on my screen. I could click on it and it would send me where "@Daktoria" was typed.

Does that exist here?
When people get a pm, a notice blinks on and off in the upper right hand corner unless you disable it. That way, you are in charge of whether you wish notification right away or later. If you know right away, you know who sent you the pm, and then, you're in charge again, "do I or don't I want to talk right now." It's pretty hard to take a breather from a heated debate to answer a pm, so don't expect miracles, and remember, your less-than-instant response may mean the receiver isn't being notified because he pressed the button "do not notify me." People might have occasions in which they don't want to be notified and turn it off temporarilly. Maybe they know they have only 2 hours to get ready for a job interview, a term paper, or a final exam at night school. Maybe they got mean messages from 12 unpleasant, foul-mouthed trolls in a row and just turned it off. It's their choice. :)

With c_k, you never can tell. :D

I sort through threads all day long, it's something you do get used to. Pos Repping, Neg Repping is good for drawing attention, or thanking posts. The New Posts or active topics tabs are good for monitoring hot threads. It is what it is, for now anyway. :)

With c_k, you never can tell. :D

^^ I've lost a few doubts here. :D

Did you mention this because you miss home? Tap your slippers three times and say there's no place like home.

Forum List

Back