Do you celebrate "Martin Luther King's" day?

The ClayTaurus said:
I can hear you drowning in it.

What am I denying? :confused:

You are the one in denial of these sources. Why?
Sources:

1. The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr.- - (an official publication of the Martin Luther King Center for Nonviolent Social Change).

2. "King's Plagiarism: Imitation, Insecurity and Transformation," The Journal of American History, June 1991, p. 87) David J. Garrow

3. New York Times" of October 11, 1991, page 15.

4. "The FBI and Martin Luther King, Jr.", David J. Garrow, (1981).

5. "And the walls came tumbling down," Rev. Ralph Abernathy (1989)

The ClayTaurus said:
You're in denial about the sources behind the smearing of MLK. Savage told you, so damnit it has to be true. :lalala:

I'm not denying these sources. Why are you?

Sources:

1. The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr.- - (an official publication of the Martin Luther King Center for Nonviolent Social Change).

2. "King's Plagiarism: Imitation, Insecurity and Transformation," The Journal of American History, June 1991, p. 87) David J. Garrow

3. New York Times" of October 11, 1991, page 15.

4. "The FBI and Martin Luther King, Jr.", David J. Garrow, (1981).

5. "And the walls came tumbling down," Rev. Ralph Abernathy (1989)

ScreamingEagle said:
I don't.

Not since they took away George Washington's day and Abraham Lincoln's day, combining them into a neutral, wishy-washy, could-be-anyone "Presidents" day. :wtf: :wtf:

I don't have anything against King but I certainly DON'T think he should get a special day named after him when two very famous and revered Presidents of our country lose their special named days. What's with this crap? This is what we call "equal"?
:finger:
Meh. I was surprised to have a neutral holiday made. It doesn't do anything except make me go to school one extra day! (sarcasm)

But I don't celebrate MLK Day or Black History Month for that matter. Not that I don't like people of a different race, it's just that I feel this way: I'm happy you're free and that you have better lives now than you did a few decades ago. I'm glad Martin Luther King came around and managed to help people realize that people were being oppressed and mistreated. But I don't feel that I should have to celebrate it. I think that if you wanna go and have us celebrate MLK and a Black History month, might as well honor others of different races and have Asian History month, Hispanic/Latino History month, etc. Even White History month (that still makes me giggle) should be included.

That's my two cents, at least.

Kagom said:
Meh. I was surprised to have a neutral holiday made. It doesn't do anything except make me go to school one extra day! (sarcasm)

But I don't celebrate MLK Day or Black History Month for that matter. Not that I don't like people of a different race, it's just that I feel this way: I'm happy you're free and that you have better lives now than you did a few decades ago. I'm glad Martin Luther King came around and managed to help people realize that people were being oppressed and mistreated. But I don't feel that I should have to celebrate it. I think that if you wanna go and have us celebrate MLK and a Black History month, might as well honor others of different races and have Asian History month, Hispanic/Latino History month, etc. Even White History month (that still makes me giggle) should be included.

That's my two cents, at least.

That would never happen.

That would be racist.

The "White Race" is the only "race" that can't celebrate their heritage.

Try a White History Week or Month. Try a parade honoring Abraham Lincoln. Try the NAAWP. Try the United White College Fund.

All racist.

ScreamingEagle said:
Those aren't the sources. Kevin Alfred Strom is the source. He wrote the article. I could misquote conservative sources all day long and write a piece about the conspiracy in the Bush administration...I guess you'd believe that then, as well.

Since you're ready to call MLK a communist through association, then you'll agree that Strom is a Nazi.
wikipedia said:
The National Alliance describes itself as a white nationalist group or, at times, a "white separatist" group. Critics consider the group to be white supremacist and neo-Nazi. An article appearing in a 1989 issue of their magazine National Vanguard celebrated the 100th anniversary of the birth of Adolf Hitler, declaring him "the greatest man of our era".

Strom did a Michael Moore-style article on Dr. King; this is what you're in denial about. It hurts when you fall for liberal tactics, doesn't it?

Savage was bitching on the radio, you thought you'd come and drop a bomb on USMB looking for sympathetic supporters, and now, as it turns out, you've barely done one iota of research into the topic.
Baaaaaa
Sheep.jpg

It's not so much the sources, it's the way inwhich they are used. I guess writing in your own words is important, but no so much when you're presenting facts.

ScreamingEagle said:

but I give up...clay and said1 are communists...no matter what ya give em for references...they just make childish comments...and fail to link to a source to disprove the sources and posts...even when ya lower the bar to a message board level for reference...so maybe they could relate... ***shrug***

Powerman said:
I agree. But I think that all holidays should be abolished. I don't see the benefit of having federal holidays. I doubt that MLK would really think that people not working today was somehow a benefit to anyone. If I were black I would probably want to work twice as hard on MLK day for having the oppurtunity to have the same job as whites.

On the federal Holidays thing I think everyone should just get their 2 weeks and depending on their faith they should be allowed a couple of days (for Christmas for example) to be able to observe their faith and/or visit with family.

Can't say that I've ever thought about that before. I would certainly keep the federal holidays that are about America: July 4th, Memorial Day, President's Day (Washington's B-day), and Thanksgiving (established by federal proclamation). And Christmas, given that the majority of people in America are either 1) Christian, or 2) beholden to the obligatory gift-giving that the Christmas season has become.

gop_jeff said:
Can't say that I've ever thought about that before. I would certainly keep the federal holidays that are about America: July 4th, Memorial Day, President's Day (Washington's B-day), and Thanksgiving (established by federal proclamation). And Christmas, given that the majority of people in America are either 1) Christian, or 2) beholden to the obligatory gift-giving that the Christmas season has become.

Problem is - now that there is an MLK day, you can't take it away.

We work on MLK day. I had an African-American employee who wanted the day off to celebrate MLK and march in a parade. I told her no.

She took the day off and when she came to work the next day, I fired her.

She tried to file unemployment and lost.

I was actually surprised that she lost. Very glad, but surprised.

GotZoom said:
Problem is - now that there is an MLK day, you can't take it away.

We work on MLK day. I had an African-American employee who wanted the day off to celebrate MLK and march in a parade. I told her no.

She took the day off and when she came to work the next day, I fired her.

She tried to file unemployment and lost.

I was actually surprised that she lost. Very glad, but surprised.

A tough, decisive male. Be still my heart!

gop_jeff said:

Personally I don't see why you need the day off to observe these days. I'm not really complaining but I don't see the point in federal holidays.

Powerman said:
Personally I don't see why you need the day off to observe these days. I'm not really complaining but I don't see the point in federal holidays.

Well, if you're going to have federal holidays, they might as well be important days in the nation's founding/history.

gop_jeff said:
Well, if you're going to have federal holidays, they might as well be important days in the nation's founding/history.

Let's just roll President's Day, MLK Day and Columbus Day all into one holiday.

Patriot's Day or Founders Day.

Honor them all on that day.

George Washington led the first American Revolution, Abraham Lincoln led the 2nd and MLK Jr. led the third.

Forum List

Back