Do you celebrate "Martin Luther King's" day?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ScreamingEagle, Jan 16, 2006.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    I don't.

Not since they took away George Washington's day and Abraham Lincoln's day, combining them into a neutral, wishy-washy, could-be-anyone "Presidents" day. :wtf: :wtf:

I don't have anything against King but I certainly DON'T think he should get a special day named after him when two very famous and revered Presidents of our country lose their special named days. What's with this crap? This is what we call "equal"?
    :finger:

2. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    While I don't throw a party, I feel MLK's historical importance is worthy of recognition, independent of whatever happens to any other holiday. I would be hesitant in getting into a who-can-render-who's-holidays-worthless-the-most battle.

3. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I love hearing his speeches on talk radio on this day. That guy could really orate with the best of them.

4. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    While I do agree with the message he was trying to send, I have been hearing some things about him that basically sounds like a hypocrite...stuff like he cheated constantly on his wife, and did the things he preached against.

5. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Got any links to such stuff? I'd be greatly interested.

6. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    No, I dont celebrate it. We had a teacher work day today so I had the day off, kind of odd because we've only been back in school for a week, and it happened to be on MLK day. Hmmmm.

7. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
  8. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I thought the adultery charges were pretty well known by now. I can remember being very disappointed and sad to hear it. Other than that, he seemed to be such a good man. Adultery is just one of those things that I find very hard to accept.

9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I don't mind that he sinned, that is something all of us are guilty of. I do not think less of him because of his transgressions on that count. Many of our greatest leaders have had serious personal flaws; but that is what makes us all human and we should not think less of their accomplishments or their supreme importance to our history and culture.

I look at what the man accomplished and what he represented. Hope, faith and a boundless optimism, in the midst of some very dark days. An undying belief in the unique ideals and fabric of America. A heroic dedication to seeking justice and basic, inalienable rights.

Look at the character of the movement before it was rotted from within by the FBI's numerous dirty tricks campaigns and petty jealousies of far lesser men.

A movement centered around religious faith, (something that makes liberals uncomfortable, and something which Pres. Bush and many others sadly miss an opportunity to highlight), the kind of faith that unites, that emboldens, that reassures, in short, a redeeming belief that no matter what, the cause was just and the outcome would reflect that fundamental reality.

King is one of our greatest patriots. His legacy is sadly reduced to one speech; one train of thought, a disgraceful turn of events that sells us all short. He lived for us, he suffered for us and he died for us, all so that we as Americans could begin to address the shortcomings of our actions (or inaction) and attitudes regarding race, poverty and religion.

He loved this nation, and this nation rightly loves and reveres him. But we must go further than that, and truly begin to honor him. The civil rights movement of the early 1960's was a truly "American" movement, representing the faith and convictions of millions of Americans across idealogical divisions who, slowly but surely, began to realize something was amiss with the American Dream and with the fabric of America, and took the action to make things right. There is no reason we can't do the same today.

10. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333