Do you believe in Noahs Ark?

What makes you think that those things aren't happening? Just to pick the 2 easiest coming back from the dead and curing the blind I'd say these things happen on a pretty regular basis. As for the others... just because you don't see it on CNN doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

What makes me think these things arent happening, is the fact that they dont happen. You and people like you would play this game where you call living through a terrible car accident a miracle, or a man comes out of a coma after 10 years is a miracle.

Assuming i believed in that (which i obviously dont), you would have to assume those minor miracles were also happening in the time of Jesus and Moses too, but im not talking about those miracles. What im talking about are major miracles, where men part oceans in order to help thousands of people escape an enemy military force. THOSE are the miracles that only seem to exist back in a time when history couldnt prove or disprove the claims,; when there were no cameras around to document it.

The bible is full of stories like that, and while i live on the same planet that god supposedly created and controls, that bible world is like a world you might find in a science fiction novel, and it doesnt sound anything like the world i live in. None of that stuff happens, ever.

On a side note, i think its very strange that god had no problems with divine intervention when Moses and his people were in danger, yet he wont do something similar to stop genocides in Darfur, or the killing of millions of jews during WW2. I guess this is the inevitable part where you tell me god works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:
Being a Liberal I believe it's your right to believe in Noah's Ark, and burning bushes, and laws cast in rocks, and dead people rising, and the ocean parting, and a guy in sandals walking on water................

I could only get through 2 pages before I noticed a pattern developing and I came across this post and knew this was what I was supposed to respond to.

I could tell you that I think everyday life is a miracle but I don't think that would impress you very much, so I will play along in the manner I think you want...

What makes you think that those things aren't happening? Just to pick the 2 easiest coming back from the dead and curing the blind I'd say these things happen on a pretty regular basis. As for the others... just because you don't see it on CNN doesn't mean it doesn't happen. :tongue:

Well, how about this. If god knows I'm a rational being who struggles to accept these ideas. As an individual who is not necessarily antagonistic to religious belief, but finds that reason and logic are an impediment to faith, I ask god to show me a miracle because if I see an indisputable miracle like some of the ones described, then I will be able to overcome the mental obstacles and devote my life to his will. And then he doesn't. Then what, am I to assume he hates me and wants me to not believe?

I saw it best summed up on a bumper sticker. Who are you to question why god doesn't want me to believe in him? :)

It's a faith thing, no proof is required. :tongue:

Thats precisely the reason people dont buy into the things you claim happened. You make no attempt to prove any of these things, nor do you seem to have the desire to try, so you lose all credibility.

Last edited:
Being a Liberal I believe it's your right to believe in Noah's Ark, and burning bushes, and laws cast in rocks, and dead people rising, and the ocean parting, and a guy in sandals walking on water................

People have the right to believe that Jim Jones is the Mesiah, but that doesnt mean its a good idea. People are free to believe in all sorts of crazy stuff, and they commonly do, but im not sure that point has anything to do with this discussion.

I'm a Christian but I do not believe in the literal interpretation of the bible. Many stories and myths became Biblical folklore, including Noah's Ark.

The idea is implausible. Noah supposedly lived to be 600 years old. How could he gather two of every animals, even in the local area? Was he a biologist? There would be tens of thousands of species. How would he be able to identify the sex of each and every one, or convince the animals to come with him anyways, or to not eat each other, or him? And what did everyone eat for 40 days and 40 nights? Why didn't they eat each other? And how did he keep the boat clean?

I just don't believe in many of the stories in the Old Testament, or at least in the literal translation. I think they are included as moral lessons on how to behave in life instead of a factual description of what truly happened.

Isnt it a little naive to assume that god only did these magical things back in a time when history couldnt be accurately recorded? Why arent men of today parting the red sea, or talking to burning bushes, or walking on water, coming back from the dead, having virgin births, curing the blind, or becoming beast masters like Noah? Why dont magical things happen today?

The Phillies won the World Series. That's pretty magical!

I'm a Christian but I do not believe in the literal interpretation of the bible. Many stories and myths became Biblical folklore, including Noah's Ark.

The idea is implausible. Noah supposedly lived to be 600 years old. How could he gather two of every animals, even in the local area? Was he a biologist? There would be tens of thousands of species. How would he be able to identify the sex of each and every one, or convince the animals to come with him anyways, or to not eat each other, or him? And what did everyone eat for 40 days and 40 nights? Why didn't they eat each other? And how did he keep the boat clean?

I just don't believe in many of the stories in the Old Testament, or at least in the literal translation. I think they are included as moral lessons on how to behave in life instead of a factual description of what truly happened.

Bravo Toro! A little logic can go a long way. Clinging to these stories as if they are literal translations, only tends to confuse people and it makes teaching modern science to them much harder, and in some cases, impossible. I wish more christians were realists, like you are Toro.

Last edited:
What makes you think that those things aren't happening? Just to pick the 2 easiest coming back from the dead and curing the blind I'd say these things happen on a pretty regular basis. As for the others... just because you don't see it on CNN doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

What makes me think these things arent happening, is the fact that they dont happen. You and people like you would play this game where you call living through a terrible car accident a miracle, or a man comes out of a coma after 10 years is a miracle.

Assuming i believed in that (which i obviously dont), you would have to assume those minor miracles were also happening in the time of Jesus and Moses too, but im not talking about those miracles. What im talking about are major miracles, where men part oceans in order to help thousands of people escape an enemy military force. THOSE are the miracles that only seem to exist back in a time when history couldnt prove or disprove the claims,; when there were no cameras around to document it.

The bible is full of stories like that, and while i live on the same planet that god supposedly created and controls, that bible world is like a world you might find in a science fiction novel, and it doesnt sound anything like the world i live in. None of that stuff happens, ever.

On a side note, i think its very strange that god had no problems with divine intervention when Moses and his people were in danger, yet he wont do something similar to stop genocides in Darfur, or the killing of millions of jews during WW2. I guess this is the inevitable part where you tell me god works in mysterious ways.

I think you're painting with a really broad brush and don't seem to know any other brushes even exist. If you think I believe in the Bible literally, you'd be wrong. I don't even think it was written to be taken literally. If you know much about the history of the book you'll understand where I'm coming from, if you don't, you won't. If you think I believe God is a guy with a big white beard that lives in heaven you'd be wrong again. I bet we could go on and on listing things you don't know about how I feel about religion and God... and yet you think you've got me pegged. I do think it's wonderful that you're interested enough in these things to start threads about them, but I don't think you're really approaching it the best way. It feels to me like you're trying to prove something. There's nothing to prove.

I think you're painting with a really broad brush and don't seem to know any other brushes even exist. If you think I believe in the Bible literally, you'd be wrong. I don't even think it was written to be taken literally. If you know much about the history of the book you'll understand where I'm coming from, if you don't, you won't. If you think I believe God is a guy with a big white beard that lives in heaven you'd be wrong again. I bet we could go on and on listing things you don't know about how I feel about religion and God... and yet you think you've got me pegged. I do think it's wonderful that you're interested enough in these things to start threads about them, but I don't think you're really approaching it the best way. It feels to me like you're trying to prove something. There's nothing to prove.

If you dont believe in the bible literally, then why are you debating me about it? When i say the things in the bible are too far fetched to be believed, why would you make this statement, if you are in agreement with me?

I could only get through 2 pages before I noticed a pattern developing and I came across this post and knew this was what I was supposed to respond to.

I could tell you that I think everyday life is a miracle but I don't think that would impress you very much, so I will play along in the manner I think you want...

...and after you make a statement like this, why would you assume i would know everything about you and realize you dont believe in the literal translation? If i dont know that any other brushes exist, thats your fault, not mine. You certainly werent giving me any clues about it, so i dont know why you would expect me to be a mind reader. This seems more like you are just trying to argue with me for the sake of argueing.

Last edited:
It feels to me like you're trying to prove something. There's nothing to prove.

Of course im trying to prove something, and of course there IS something to be proven. Thats the point of debating stuff, to prove you are right, or at least try. Religous people will post the things they think will help their case, and i will do the same for mine. Thats how it works.

This message board would get boring real quick if everyone agreed on every subject. Thats the beauty of it, you get to debate your beliefs with people who have different beliefs. Where else can people even have conversations like this?

It feels to me like you're trying to prove something. There's nothing to prove.

Of course im trying to prove something, and of course there IS something to be proven. Thats the point of debating stuff, to prove you are right, or at least try. Religous people will post the things they think will help their case, and i will do the same for mine. Thats how it works.

This message board would get boring real quick if everyone agreed on every subject. Thats the beauty of it, you get to debate your beliefs with people who have different beliefs. Where else can people even have conversations like this?

Ok. When you figure out how to prove or disprove the existence of God you will make millions of dollars. I'll be looking for you on Oprah. :lol:

Well, how about this. If god knows I'm a rational being who struggles to accept these ideas. As an individual who is not necessarily antagonistic to religious belief, but finds that reason and logic are an impediment to faith, I ask god to show me a miracle because if I see an indisputable miracle like some of the ones described, then I will be able to overcome the mental obstacles and devote my life to his will. And then he doesn't. Then what, am I to assume he hates me and wants me to not believe?

I saw it best summed up on a bumper sticker. Who are you to question why god doesn't want me to believe in him? :)

Thats precisely the reason people dont buy into the things you claim happened. You make no attempt to prove any of these things, nor do you seem to have the desire to try, so you lose all credibility.

Since 84% of the world's population practice faith in some form, I would say that it doesn't really matter whether or not you buy into it. You are in a very small minority junior. Get over it.

Since 84% of the world's population practice faith in some form, I would say that it doesn't really matter whether or not you buy into it. You are in a very small minority junior. Get over it.

Yet that 84% of the population believe in all sorts of different bizarre religious beliefs, not just christianity. If anything, this only proves that 84% of the world is confused. It would be one thing if you all believed the same thing, but since you dont, you guys look silly. Theres also people that believe in bigfoot, alien abductions, the lochness monster and conspiracy theories. The fact that people believe crazy shit doesnt mean they are right about it. Obviously you all have differing opinions, and you cant all be right, so its more likely that you are all wrong.

If being in the minority means i dont believe whole heartedly in something that is based off of crazy ancient writings, so be it.

Yet that 84% of the population believe in all sorts of different bizarre religious beliefs, not just christianity. If anything, this only proves that 84% of the world is confused. It would be one thing if you all believed the same thing, but since you dont, you guys look silly. Theres also people that believe in bigfoot, alien abductions, the lochness monster and conspiracy theories. The fact that people believe crazy shit doesnt mean they are right about it. Obviously you all have differing opinions, and you cant all be right, so its more likely that you are all wrong.

If being in the minority means i dont believe whole heartedly in something that is based off of crazy ancient writings, so be it.

We are all waiting for you to prove God does not exist. To prove miracles have never happened. Otherwise YOU can be classified as one of the many confused people with unproven, unprovable beliefs.

I get slammed for saying this, but I don't care... I don't think too hard about things and I'm happy most of the time. I'd rather be happy and dumb than smart and unhappy. Srsly. Is being so smart and superior making you happy? I hope it is.

I look around everyday and I see evidence of God, that's enough for me. I sincerely wish you peace and happiness.

We are all waiting for you to prove God does not exist. To prove miracles have never happened. Otherwise YOU can be classified as one of the many confused people with unproven, unprovable beliefs.

EVERY religion is unproven unprovable beliefs. I could ask you to prove that Poseidon doesn't exist, after all we haven't explored the entire ocean and if we did I could just add invisible to his list of characteristics.

As i said before, you cant prove a negative. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. The more outrageous the claim, the more proof is required to convince people of that claim. Im sorry, but ancient writings from primitive men just isnt going to cut it.

What i CAN prove, however, is there is no proof to back your claims up. Some christians would claim they have proof, even going so far as to use the bible as proof, but most reasonable and logically thinking people can agree that there is no proof god exists, or that the stories in the bible are true. Certainly some of the stories in the bible are true, or at least have truth to them, but you cant claim they all are.

Well, i guess you could try, but thats where i come in.

Last edited:

As i said before, you cant prove a negative. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. The more outrageous the claim, the more proof is required to convince people of that claim. Im sorry, but ancient writings from primitive men just isnt going to cut it.

What i CAN prove, however, is there is no proof to back your claims up. Some christians would claim they have proof, even going so far as to use the bible as proof, but most reasonable and logically thinking people can agree that there is no proof god exists, or that the stories in the bible are true. Certainly some of the stories in the bible are true, or at least have truth to them, but you cant claim they all are.

Well, i guess you could try, but thats where i come in.

Then exercise your God given gift of free will and choose not to believe it, but in doing, do try not to shit on the faith of 2.1 billion people.

Forum List

Back