Do you believe in Noahs Ark?

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
The story of Noahs ark has always stood out to me as one of those stories in the bible, that only proves how innacurate the bible is. Do christians really believe this part of the bible, and if you dont, can you believe in men who part the sea, or people who can come back from the dead? Are these just made up stories that were only meant to have a moral significance, and not to be taken literally?

Heres a video of Joe Rogan discussing Noahs ark. It starts off with him talking about it in his comedy bit on stage, then after the show when hes backstage, he finds out that theres an archeoligist there in the audience that wants to discuss the ark with him. Apparently he claims they might possibly have found the ark 17,000 feet up in Mt. Ararat. Theres a 517 foot boat up there, which is pretty amazing and obviously tells some sort of story.

I find Joes arguement to be pretty solid about the ark, and i wanted to know what christians might have to say about it.

Heres the video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMnThZgN-PM]YouTube - Joe Rogan vs Noah's Ark[/ame]

Last edited:
I believe in it, always have.

Care to watch the video and comment on it? You responded 2 minutes after it posted, and the video is 8 minutes long. Not that you have to watch it, but i was curious what people thought about Joes comments, and what the archeoligist has to say about finding the ark. After watching the video, is your faith only reinforced by this discovery of the boat, or is it possible youve been wrong about it all along? I highly doubt anyone is going to have a big change of heart, but you never know.

Last edited:
I can't watch the video right now, no sound on this computer. I know they found a boat an Ararat, that happened years and years ago. It's made of gopher wood, from the right period of time.

The silence is deafening. Yeah, i had a feeling people werent buying into the whole Noahs Ark thing. Even the most dedicated christian would have a hard time swallowing this story, which makes me wonder why you guys believe everything else in the bible.

The story of Noahs ark has always stood out to me as one of those stories in the bible, that only proves how innacurate the bible is. Do christians really believe this part of the bible, and if you dont, can you believe in men who part the sea, or people who can come back from the dead? Are these just made up stories that were only meant to have a moral significance, and not to be taken literally?

Heres a video of Joe Rogan discussing Noahs ark. It starts off with him talking about it in his comedy bit on stage, then after the show when hes backstage, he finds out that theres an archeoligist there in the audience that wants to discuss the ark with him. Apparently he claims they might possibly have found the ark 17,000 feet up in Mt. Ararat. Theres a 517 foot boat up there, which is pretty amazing and obviously tells some sort of story.

I find Joes arguement to be pretty solid about the ark, and i wanted to know what christians might have to say about it.

Heres the video...

YouTube - Joe Rogan vs Noah's Ark

Why do you feel threatened by christianity?

Heres the video...

same reason...mao.....stalin and hitler did......

The silence is deafening. Yeah, i had a feeling people werent buying into the whole Noahs Ark thing. Even the most dedicated christian would have a hard time swallowing this story, which makes me wonder why you guys believe everything else in the bible.

I believe in Noah's Ark as do lots of Christians. Ohh ya explain how that big ass boat got on top of that mountain?

I believe in Noah's Ark as do lots of Christians. Ohh ya explain how that big ass boat got on top of that mountain?

Certainly there was a flood of some kind, but we all know that stuff has been going on since theres been oceans of water on earth. That doesnt however explain the story about all the animals on earth getting onto a boat with some old guy.

Theres a world of difference between catacalyismic event that created a flood, and a story about a guy instructed by god to save 2 of every animal on earth. The number of animals he would have to have on the boat would be staggering. Another problem is boats in noahs time werent sea worthy, because it was before the iron age, and without metal banding, you cant make an ocean vessel stay together. It would sink very quickly once the wood began to expand, leaving gaps between the planks. Since this happened 1500 years before the Iron Age, im guessing Noah would have had some difficulty in finding a good saw to cut the wood with.

I would also mention, the flood story is incompatible with the Christian concept of a loving, omniscient god. Apart from that, god's great flood idea didn't rid the world of 'evil people' after all. Way into the 21st century, there are still 'evil' people around. God failed.

...and what about the fact that noahs story is almost identical to the story of Gilgamesh, which predates the noah story? Doesnt this stand out as another example plagerism in the bible?

There were also records found of civilizations that existed before, during and after the fictional flood who didn't mention anything about a global flood. Therefore, the global flood story was simply made up, or it was simply a local flood that was blown into Biblical proportions. The water requirement for covering the earth fifteen cubits up is also simply implausible. No creationist has ever come up with a plausible explanation for it.

The animal problems are the most absurd of all. The dietary and environmental requirements for all the animals (koalas, for example) would make the logistics impossible. How could the koalas get fresh eucalyptus leaves on the ark? Did the carnivores suddenly turn vegetarian on the ark? Any rational person would see the problems faced by carnivores, parasites, and microorganisms. What about the hosts for the parasites?

Now for the human problem. There was no way for Noah and his family to manage the tasks of keeping the ark in order throughout the flood. Are you now going to also claim that god endowed them with superhuman powers, or that god was 'working through them'? DNA markers also show that it is impossible to claim that all living humans were descended from Noah and his family.

Did the saltwater and freshwater fish decide to throw a free-for-all open house and come out of it alive when the waters mixed during the flood?

So many things point to this being just an ordinary fairy tale.

Last edited:

Heres the video...

Im not threatened by christainity, but you seem threatened when i question your beliefs. Isnt it ok for me to not believe in the same things as you? Does that make me a bad person? Am i not allowed to debate it with people or ask them questions about it?

We CAN have this discussion without attacking each other, if you want to.

the verse speaks "pairs of the clean, animals etc..." all of certain animals were brought on board in pairs,not all animals on earth as some have interpreted.... there were animals that were thought of as unclean ....those were not brought....the measurments of Noah's ark were recreated to specifics only downsized and the ark was tested in laboratories and the ark was near indestructable in all of their lab tests and using the measurements they figured out that pairs of all clean animals would have fit....

I don't know if it was someone named Noah or Gilgamesh or a number of other names found in the flood story in ancient manuscripts, but without a doubt, there was a flood and there were very few people that survived.

We know this because of DNA tracings and the bottleneck they found with it....

So, nothing scientifically, has ruled out the story either...

why do feel it is important to mock peoples belief systems.....

I think most people DONT believe it, even christians. Disagreeing isnt the same thing as mocking, because if it were, you would be mocking my beliefs anytime you mention Noah and his ark.

the verse speaks "pairs of the clean, animals etc..." all of certain animals were brought on board in pairs,not all animals on earth as some have interpreted.... there were animals that were thought of as unclean ....those were not brought

Then how did they survive the flood? We know the non "clean animals" existed before noah, and after, so this only puts another hole in the story.

the measurments of Noah's ark were recreated to specifics only downsized and the ark was tested in laboratories and the ark was near indestructable in all of their lab tests

Common on now, lets be truthful when we post. You and i both know that there are no schematics for noahs ark for them to recreate it in the first place, therefore your claim that it was nearly indestructable isnt exactly a factual statement. Lets keep this discussion on the up and up to avoid any petty fights over things like that.

Last edited:
using the measurements they figured out that pairs of all clean animals would have fit....

For arguements sake, ill assume this statement is true, but i bet it doesnt include space for enough food and water for each of these animals. Lions and tigers eat 15 pounds of fresh meat each day. Elephants eat 130 pounds of vegetation each day. I could go on with animal diets, but i think you get the point.

Last edited:

Heres the video...

Im not threatened by christainity, but you seem threatened when i question your beliefs. Isnt it ok for me to not believe in the same things as you? Does that make me a bad person? Am i not allowed to debate it with people or ask them questions about it?

We CAN have this discussion without attacking each other, if you want to.

I could give two shits what you question. It takes much for me to feel threatened. You would probably have to call me a homo or something. My question was abstract at best.

My question to you is why do you feel the need to question others beliefs? Why do you assume that they are my beliefs? It is okay for you not to believe in something, but it is a little pompous to ask others to defend their beliefs. Many times, these beliefs are founded on faith alone. Faith cannot always be defined by words.

If you want to pick one story from the Hebrew Bible, Old Testamant, Tora, or whatever you wish to call it and pick it apart like it could be explained to someone who has no sense of something greater than his or herself, then be my guest. Fact of the matter is, you are just as unlikely to prove that Noah's ark did not happen as any jew or christian is to prove it to be true.

Ponder this, every major religion or culture from approximately the same time period has a flood parable. All are similar and the differences could be chalked up to issues of translation. The only place this discussion can go is you questioning one's faith and that is what makes your question pompous.

But hell, debate away.

the verse speaks "pairs of the clean, animals etc..." all of certain animals were brought on board in pairs,not all animals on earth as some have interpreted.... there were animals that were thought of as unclean ....those were not brought

Then how did they survive the flood? We know the non "clean animals" existed before noah, and after, so this only puts another hole in the story.

the measurments of Noah's ark were recreated to specifics only downsized and the ark was tested in laboratories and the ark was near indestructable in all of their lab tests

Common on now, lets be truthful when we post. You and i both know that there are no schematics for noahs ark for them to recreate it in the first place, therefore your claim that it was nearly indestructable isnt exactly a factual statement. Lets keep this discussion on the up and up to avoid any petty fights over things like that.

huh? you ve never even read the story, have you? it gives specific measurements?

why do feel it is important to mock peoples belief systems.....

I think most people DONT believe it, even christians. Disagreeing isnt the same thing as mocking, because if it were, you would be mocking my beliefs anytime you mention Noah and his ark.

using the measurements they figured out that pairs of all clean animals would have fit....

For arguements sake, ill assume this statement is true, but i bet it doesnt include space for enough food and water for each of these animals. Lions and tigers eat 15 pounds of fresh meat each day. Elephants eat 130 pounds of vegetation each day. I could go on with animal diets, but i think you get the point.

All of these queations are logistical. Any pious jew or christian will dismiss your questions outright and tell you two words that answer all of your questions, whether you believe them or not.

GOD PROVIDED

Forum List

Back