Votes: 11 26.8%
  • No. But I believe a higher being put us here

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don't think we'll ever know until we die

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Something Else (Specify)

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
hopefully, there is an Almighty, not necessarily an original or coincidental to that fact but rules the Everlasting that who so ever frees their Spirit will be Judged for or against Admittance to otherwise persist in the pursuit of Life.

i believe in a goddess who does not need me to witness or try to convert others to her ways
Goddess_Ashtara?

Good point. At least Goddess_Ashara actually shows up. Doncha hate it when you go out of your way to book a big act and then at showtime they don't show?

The question is problematic since it depends on a murky and very unstable definition of what "God" means. When expressed as monotheism (and the OP question seems to imply limitation to that) I believe that concept was made up by primitive humans (along with countless other concepts) as a structural explanation of existence. In this case it's the one we happened to be born into, which is absolutely no reason to stop looking at what else is available. And in the cases of organized codified religions it's used as a control device to assume socio-political power.

(That power is in fact large part of the reason this country was created as it was, to throw off an existing system of collusion between the two sides of that coin, the Church and the Aristocracy, which constrained cultures into a dictatorial "divine right of kings" hierarchical power structure.)

But as far as other spiritual avenues, seeking those alternative explanations has always seemed like an imperative. After all if I'm buying a car I don't just stop at the first "car for sale" sign I see and pull a wad of cash out -- nor do I simply accept a hand-me-down offered by my parents. I need to see what else is out there.

Do we have a Creator? Until and unless one shows itself I don't know, and I don't really care, as it would change nothing about existence. But if we do it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to anthropomorphize it into a personal form, and it makes even less sense to make that anthropormophization male. To me that's a dead giveaway of a power grab that has nothing to do with events celestial and everything to do with things worldly. That, and the absolutely fatal dichotomy of binary thinking where life itself is transmogrified into an eternal conflict between "good" and "evil" (dark/light, male/female, we/they, etc). That seems an extremely simplistic, childlike paradigm, from which one must move on and develop or else be self-imprisoned by it.

This makes far, far more sense:
ying%20yang%20small.png

I believe there's a sort of universal subconscious, an unexplainable pool from which derives strokes of prescience, hunches, inspirations of "the muse", echoes of spirits past, and perhaps the very origin of sentience itself. In that sense one might say there are many "gods" (spirit energies, orishas as Yoruba spiritualism calls them), or there is one "god" (the medium of the universal subconscious itself), depending on whether you're describing the forest or the trees. And that those ever-elusive moments of "enlightenment" may allow a brief glimpse therein.

Music is one of those doors. At certain points when playing the violin (repetitively) my hands become entirely involuntary tools, I am no longer sending commands to flex this way or that way, and I become a spectator simply observing. At that point inside the sound of the music -- kind of modulated on top of them like a radio signal -- there are voices. Not intelligible voices, but just a kind of presence that wasn't there a few minutes ago. Or rather, it was always there but the door to perceive it wasn't open. The whole purpose of music and dance, I think, is that kind of trance.

As far as explaining or making sense of the dynamics of existence, I derive the most useful insight from The Tao. It tends to explain how energies flow, if it doesn't explain where they come from. But of those two, I don't really need to know the latter.

Now if the above were listed in the poll I woulda checked it.... :)

Last edited:
i believe in a goddess who does not need me to witness or try to convert others to her ways

The God of the universe speaks to you with authority, but not as a salesman or bully................
There is no "god" as perceived by theists; the voice of arrogance and authority is your own.

Wrong. If I had my choice, I would be in charge. I just know that I'm not.
It is human nature to seem to think that we are in charge of our our thoughts and emotions. That internal battle is like a roller coaster. As I sought answers I learned promises and vows made superdede all else. As hard as we would like to think we can overcome our own nature we can't without assistance. Hubby learned the same. He calls it eating dirt as he was literally put face down in the ground and the spirit spoke to him. He told me later it was the most beautiful voice of a woman he heard. That was about 18 years ago. He wrote a beautiful poem anout it. When things settle down here I'll find it and share it.

As a lifelong student of spiritualism and the occult, I do not place much faith in the bible, and consider it to be mostly myths. I rely instead on the teachings I have heard from trance mediums. The spirit world teaches there is no devil and no lasting hell, and that we are all part of God, not just Jesus.

I believe in God..

The church is NOT God...

That's interesting you say that....
Our Pastor quotes a hierarchy of "priorities" - God, Family, Church, Work.
I think many blur lines between God and Church.... or maybe, like you implied, think they are 1 in the same....

As a former Marine I have a different hierarchy: Semper Fidelis (always faithful) to God, Corps and Country. Marines also live by the code Death Before Dishonor which applies to all things. The Old Testament lists only Ten Commandments. Marines have a hell of a lot more.

The God of the universe speaks to you with authority, but not as a salesman or bully................

Bones brings an excellent and subtle point -- why would a creator need to be an authoritarian? That's kind of closing yourself into a conceptual box. The Goddess (concept) does not judge, condemn, reward, punish, promise, deny or take sides in battle; She simply Is.

Seems obvious to me the idea of "God" as stern authoritarian father figure ready to shove anybody into the fire pit who doesn't kowtow to His Divine Insecurities, well that doesn't make a whole lot of sense if He's a creator that can do anything. OTOH if you consider that concept to be a proxy contrived by human authoritarians ready to shove anybody into the fire pit who doesn't kowtow to their insecurities, then it starts to make, pun intended, a Hell of a lot more sense as to not only its origins but its purpose.

And as soon as you hear some zealot yelp about "God is on our side" or "Holy War", no doubt about that purpose remains. It's abundantly clear what's going on.

Interesting answers. Growing up RC and for 40 years living as a very believing RC, rosary rattler even, since my further study of the OT and ancient history, of which I had no time to embark on before the age of 40ish, I yet believe in a higher power, I guess that is ingrained in me,

But I believe the bible is not the word of God BUT man, and their culture, and based on the study of the heavens and myths, copied from other religions, Egyptian, Persian, Sumerian, Roman and even Greek philosophy , I do believe a tribe such as the Hebrews were outshoots of Egyptians, (the lepers) and even the Canaanites and I do believe that some of the battles they talk about did happen as described. Also we have astrology in it , ever hear As above so below? and I see a marked contrast of the OT (violence) and the NT (peaceful submission) , and what lead me on this path, is when I asked myself Why are most Jews atheist and also, the religion mine (RC-Christianity) was supposedly based on and yet most of them (Jews ) were and are atheist..

I mean we need to be realistic, all cultures have their God and they have for years.

Also in Christianity , Who is the Father, certainty not Yahweh?

Penelope is language impaired----but not as a manifestation of a neurologic injury (as in stroke or trauma or even developemental anomaly------just ordinary stupidity. I will translate >>>>
I, Penelope---was at one time a mindless RC----but then
past the age of 40, (as opposed to the normal child who
reaches the cognitive level of complex operations by about 12)
I realized that Jesus was jewish. The revelation knocked my
catholic socks off-----as the earliest lessons of my life
included the "FACT" that jews are evil and have more money
than does the "christian" god. It was a spiritual crisis. The only
remnant of my early "spiritual" education that remains in my heart
is ---**)) HATRED FOR DA JOOOOS ((** complicated by my
unwarranted belief that I understand the contents of a book I never
read and would not understand it if I tried. So I resorted to
propaganda jibberish that ""seemed"" logical to my scrambled
perverted mind. My new SPIRITUAL quest is----SPREADING
THE GOSPEL-----which is ----Jesus was not a jew. It is an
interesting idea first promulgated by a person so perverse in his
actions and believe that Christian scholars DENY that he ever
actually converted to Christianity------(to wit---Constantine)

Bones brings an excellent and subtle point -- why would a creator need to be an authoritarian? That's kind of closing yourself into a conceptual box. The Goddess (concept) does not judge, condemn, reward, punish, promise, deny or take sides in battle; She simply Is.

Seems obvious to me the idea of "God" as stern authoritarian father figure ready to shove anybody into the fire pit who doesn't kowtow to His Divine Insecurities, well that doesn't make a whole lot of sense if He's a creator that can do anything. OTOH if you consider that concept to be a proxy contrived by human authoritarians ready to shove anybody into the fire pit who doesn't kowtow to their insecurities, then it starts to make, pun intended, a Hell of a lot more sense as to not only its origins but its purpose.

And as soon as you hear some zealot yelp about "God is on our side" or "Holy War", no doubt about that purpose remains. It's abundantly clear what's going on.

God is authoritative (per our human definition) meaning, he's the Creator, the all knowing, all power, ever being and ever present "person" - and thus, by default, the Authority.

People that "use" God for their own purposes will ALSO answer to him.

God wants RELATIONSHIP with us.
You can only have a relationship with someone you know.....

I believe in God..

The church is NOT God...

I think many blur lines between God and Church.... or maybe, like you implied, think they are 1 in the same....

As a former Marine I have a different hierarchy: Semper Fidelis (always faithful) to God, Corps and Country. Marines also live by the code Death Before Dishonor which applies to all things. The Old Testament lists only Ten Commandments. Marines have a hell of a lot more.

do you SIT AT ATTENTION??? please do so and call me
Ma'am. Sailors do not SIT at attention

As far as explaining or making sense of the dynamics of existence, I derive the most useful insight from The Tao. It tends to explain how energies flow, if it doesn't explain where they come from. But of those two, I don't really need to know the latter.
Same thing different expression: positive vs. negative, good vs. evil, fire vs. water, air vs. earth. …..aimed to achieving equilibrium.

I believe in God..

The church is NOT God...

Yes, Ma'am!!!

For 18 months I was part of a 12-man Marine Corps communications detachment aboard the USS Pocono and my wife is a former Navy gal. Besides, the Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy. Sailors are good people.

PS: I sit at attention, I shit at attention, go to sleep at attention and even fornicate at attention (don't ask) and when my wife speaks I pay attention. You happy?

Interesting answers. Growing up RC and for 40 years living as a very believing RC, rosary rattler even, since my further study of the OT and ancient history, of which I had no time to embark on before the age of 40ish, I yet believe in a higher power, I guess that is ingrained in me,

But I believe the bible is not the word of God BUT man, and their culture, and based on the study of the heavens and myths, copied from other religions, Egyptian, Persian, Sumerian, Roman and even Greek philosophy , I do believe a tribe such as the Hebrews were outshoots of Egyptians, (the lepers) and even the Canaanites and I do believe that some of the battles they talk about did happen as described. Also we have astrology in it , ever hear As above so below? and I see a marked contrast of the OT (violence) and the NT (peaceful submission) , and what lead me on this path, is when I asked myself Why are most Jews atheist and also, the religion mine (RC-Christianity) was supposedly based on and yet most of them (Jews ) were and are atheist..

I mean we need to be realistic, all cultures have their God and they have for years.

Also in Christianity , Who is the Father, certainty not Yahweh?

Penelope is language impaired----but not as a manifestation of a neurologic injury (as in stroke or trauma or even developemental anomaly------just ordinary stupidity. I will translate >>>>
I, Penelope---was at one time a mindless RC----but then
past the age of 40, (as opposed to the normal child who
reaches the cognitive level of complex operations by about 12)
I realized that Jesus was jewish. The revelation knocked my
catholic socks off-----as the earliest lessons of my life
included the "FACT" that jews are evil and have more money
than does the "christian" god. It was a spiritual crisis. The only
remnant of my early "spiritual" education that remains in my heart
is ---**)) HATRED FOR DA JOOOOS ((** complicated by my
unwarranted belief that I understand the contents of a book I never
read and would not understand it if I tried. So I resorted to
propaganda jibberish that ""seemed"" logical to my scrambled
perverted mind. My new SPIRITUAL quest is----SPREADING
THE GOSPEL-----which is ----Jesus was not a jew. It is an
interesting idea first promulgated by a person so perverse in his
actions and believe that Christian scholars DENY that he ever
actually converted to Christianity------(to wit---Constantine)

I could give hoots about their money, money is their god. answer the question?

The authoritarian part is vital in the concept of FREE WILL.
If there is something out there IN ANY LEVEL OF CONTROL---
I believe in God..

The church is NOT God...

Yes, Ma'am!!!

For 18 months I was part of a 12-man Marine Corps communications detachment aboard the USS Pocono and my wife is a former Navy gal. Besides, the Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy. Sailors are good people.

PS: I sit at attention, I shit at attention, go to sleep at attention and even fornicate at attention (don't ask) and when my wife speaks I pay attention. You happy?

Only if you SWEAR that you address her as MA'AM. PS. marine,
FORNICATION is unlawful carnal knowledge----I will not inform
your wife but would appreciate your telling me the name of your
commanding officer

God is authoritative (per our human definition) meaning, he's the Creator, the all knowing, all power, ever being and ever present "person" - and thus, by default, the Authority.

People that "use" God for their own purposes will ALSO answer to him.

Assuming "God" is this "Creator" .............. why would "he" ---- and I've never gotten an answer to the question, wassup with the "he" --- be so insecure as to need such relationships? All he's gotta do is create one. That's kind of what you do when you're in the Creator business -- create stuff.

I do not think "God" wants any relationship with anybody.

Why do you think he doesn't?
Why would He? He laid down the rules, you play accordingly. You fuck it up, you try it over and over again until you "get it." That's that simple. You are rich and do not take care of the poor, you just fucked it up. You lie, you just fucked it up. You are hungry for power over others, you just fucked it up…. and on and on….
…I am not "God"… I don't mind to "wanting relationship.." ;)

Forum List

Back